Applicant

Ontario Call to the Bar - June

Posted (edited)

The call took place via videoconference? Did any candidates virtually attend this? None of the messages I received through the portal provided details about this (webcast link, etc.) I also didn't receive any messages from the LSO after I submitted my commissioned documents (other than the generic auto-reply)...

Edited by r2539
Further explanation: Just trying to figure out if I actually got called or if I'm missing info because there was a problem with my application...

23 minutes ago, r2539 said:

The call took place via videoconference? Did any candidates virtually attend this? None of the messages I received through the portal provided details about this (webcast link, etc.) I also didn't receive any messages from the LSO after I submitted my commissioned documents (other than the generic auto-reply)...

I think the LSO was holding Convocation today, but I don't think it had anything to do with the May 28th paper call. I'm in the same boat as you. Only received an auto-reply. Hopefully, we get more information tomorrow.

3 hours ago, HammurabiTime said:

So was anyone directly informed about being called or is this tweet supposed to be notice for May 28 calls?

No one was directly informed, even though Convocation was 9am-10am and the administrative call was the first thing dealt with. The tweet didn't go out until 3:30pm, and around 4:00pm, the LSO sent an email to a mailing list of lawyers about today's administrative call... but no email to the May Calls. It's like they couldn't do any more to bungle this entirely...

2 hours ago, airrep said:

I think the LSO was holding Convocation today, but I don't think it had anything to do with the May 28th paper call. I'm in the same boat as you. Only received an auto-reply. Hopefully, we get more information tomorrow.

The administrative call was dealt with during Convocation - that's why May Calls were originally charged $250 compared to June/July Calls' $195 - because we had the privilege of having our names put before Convocation while everyone else gets a purely paper-based Call. There was absolutely no reason why they couldn't include us as observers on the videoconference. Such a weird welcome to the profession... we were completely excluded from the "Ceremony" and the information today.

Anyway, congratulations to everyone called today!

• Like 1

You know, I finally figured out why all the belly-aching from new calls and current articling students rubs me the wrong way.

It's that the same people who were/are desperate for the LSO to accommodate them – through abridged articles, reduced fees, extended payment plans, whatever – are actively complaining that the LSO isn't doing things perfectly. The people at the LSO are normal humans like the rest of us, and have had their lives turned upside down the same way everyone else has. It's unreasonable to expect them to both accommodate you because your life has been disrupted and do everything exactly the way you want them to do it. You have to be accommodating as well.

And as hard as it is to believe, figuring out how to livestream their meetings to 296 law students, none of whom expressed any desire in this thread to be able to watch a livestream of a bureaucratic meeting, isn't the top priority for the LSO. Nor should it be – they've needed to figure out how to ensure the public still has access to competent legal services during a global pandemic, they've needed to figure out how to administer the bar exams that were cancelled, they've needed to figure out whether or not to administer the bar exams in the future, etc. There are a billion things more pressing than whether or not you were charged an extra $65 relative to your peers or whether or not you were able to watch a live stream of convocation. 

Hell, this thread has even devolved into outraged complaints about things that are perfectly normal. See, for e.g., the person who got all upset about the call to the bar fee like it was some magical surprise that hasn't been clearly listed on the LSO website since time immemorial, or the fact that new calls weren't delivered there LSO numbers immediately by carrier pigeon the instant they were called. 

I think a little compassion would go a long way here. Everyone is trying their best. The LSO has stated that they'll be examining options to celebrate your achievements with your peers and family in due time. The purpose of the administrative call is to help you be able to practice law as quickly as possible, not to replace the typical call to the bar ceremony. So instead of complaining and being frustrated with the LSO, why not take today to celebrate with the people that care about you?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

You know, I finally figured out why all the belly-aching from new calls and current articling students rubs me the wrong way.

It's that the same people who were/are desperate for the LSO to accommodate them – through abridged articles, reduced fees, extended payment plans, whatever – are actively complaining that the LSO isn't doing things perfectly. The people at the LSO are normal humans like the rest of us, and have had their lives turned upside down the same way everyone else has. It's unreasonable to expect them to both accommodate you because your life has been disrupted and do everything exactly the way you want them to do it. You have to be accommodating as well.

And as hard as it is to believe, figuring out how to livestream their meetings to 296 law students, none of whom expressed any desire in this thread to be able to watch a livestream of a bureaucratic meeting, isn't the top priority for the LSO. Nor should it be – they've needed to figure out how to ensure the public still has access to competent legal services during a global pandemic, they've needed to figure out how to administer the bar exams that were cancelled, they've needed to figure out whether or not to administer the bar exams in the future, etc. There are a billion things more pressing than whether or not you were charged an extra $65 relative to your peers or whether or not you were able to watch a live stream of convocation. 

Hell, this thread has even devolved into outraged complaints about things that are perfectly normal. See, for e.g., the person who got all upset about the call to the bar fee like it was some magical surprise that hasn't been clearly listed on the LSO website since time immemorial, or the fact that new calls weren't delivered there LSO numbers immediately by carrier pigeon the instant they were called. 

I think a little compassion would go a long way here. Everyone is trying their best. The LSO has stated that they'll be examining options to celebrate your achievements with your peers and family in due time. The purpose of the administrative call is to help you be able to practice law as quickly as possible, not to replace the typical call to the bar ceremony. So instead of complaining and being frustrated with the LSO, why not take today to celebrate with the people that care about you?

I also think yall at least 25 years old now. Like come on. Are you only a lawyer if you can post to the instragam a picture of you at a bar ceremony with the hastag #lawyered

Blows my mind how many people are going bananas about potentially not receiving a bar ceremony.   

Good Morning!

I received confirmation from LSO at 5:20 am this morning. We should be able to find our Membership number on LSO's lawyer directory in about a week.

Congratulations to all.

• Like 1

Just a PSA, my name has already been added to the directory (with my LSO number!). Definitely faster than I expected. 

On a different note, has anyone received their refunded call fee yet? It was showing as processed on May 28 on my Accounts page, but still hasn't appeared on my credit card 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 12:21 AM, BlockedQuebecois said:

Well said. That's not to say the LSO is blameless (just like how Ford isn't blameless, even though he's done alright in general with CoVid). But they've done an impressive job with everything they've done so far.

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2020 at 12:25 AM, hmyo said:

I also think yall at least 25 years old now. Like come on. Are you only a lawyer if you can post to the instragam a picture of you at a bar ceremony with the hastag #lawyered

Blows my mind how many people are going bananas about potentially not receiving a bar ceremony.   

Maybe you should step back and think about why this might be such a big deal to people. Some people are the first in their family to attain any sort of post-secondary education, let alone law school. Some people had to overcome significant mental health challenges to make it to this point. Some people took huge financial risk to pursue this profession. You have no idea how people got to this point, and for some people, it is the accomplishment of a lifetime. It is ridiculous to suggest that they aren't allowed to be a bit upset.

These are challenging times, of course. But the LSO has done nothing for these new lawyers. They could have simply recorded a welcome message at their last convocation and sent it to new calls. That would take taken very minimal effort, and even that wasn't done. Instead, they're sending a congratulations email at an unspecified date. The LSO has its flaws, and IMO it is perfectly valid for new members to voice their complaints about them.

Edited by CoffeeandLaw
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, CoffeeandLaw said:

Maybe you should step back and think about why this might be such a big deal to people. Some people are the first in their family to attain any sort of post-secondary education, let alone law school. Some people had to overcome significant mental health challenges to make it to this point. Some people took huge financial risk to pursue this profession. You have no idea how people got to this point, and for some people, it is the accomplishment of a lifetime. It is ridiculous to suggest that they aren't allowed to be a bit upset.

These are challenging times, of course. But the LSO has done nothing for these new lawyers. They could have simply recorded a welcome message at their last convocation and sent it to new calls. That would take taken very minimal effort, and even that wasn't done. Instead, they're sending a congratulations email at an unspecified date. The LSO has its flaws, and IMO it is perfectly valid for new members to voice their complaints about them.

This is funny to me, because if I learned a single thing in law school it was that I'm not special and I don't deserve to be honored or celebrated yet (maybe I can earn that someday). And I check a lot of your boxes for why some people should supposedly feel that just getting a JD is some great achievement.

I dunno, I'm not even saying that you're wrong per se, I just find it interesting how people perceive this journey so differently. I found the process extremely humbling and short of the elite few who become medalists and SCC clerks I don't get why so many law students and recent grads feel so important.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoffeeandLaw said:

You don't know me. But as the poster below you also noted, there's 1000+ law students coming through the system every year. To think that that any one articled student situation is so unique that it requires celebration is arrogant. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CleanHands said:

I don't get why so many law students and recent grads feel so important.

41 minutes ago, hmyo said:

To think that that any one articled student situation is so unique that it requires celebration is arrogant. 

I think you are both kind of missing the point. Being called is a celebration every year. I'm not saying we should go from no celebration to a celebration. I'm saying this is always done, and it would be nice if the LSO acknowledged this accomplishment like they have for years and years. Additionally, even with the fee reduction, the LSO is still pocketing around 200 dollars per call, and I think it is reasonable to assume that the cost of processing each call is not 200 dollars. That's fine that you two don't feel like celebrating and I respect that perspective, but many people do and I wish you would respect that as well instead of calling people arrogant and putting them down.

Additionally, I think most people I've talked to who want a ceremony/some celebration want it more for their parents/family than for themselves. I don't think it comes from a place of wanting to feel special so much as wanting their families and support systems to have that moment. 

Edited by CoffeeandLaw
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, nervouswreck33 said:

Just a PSA, my name has already been added to the directory (with my LSO number!). Definitely faster than I expected. 

On a different note, has anyone received their refunded call fee yet? It was showing as processed on May 28 on my Accounts page, but still hasn't appeared on my credit card 

Wow. Saves something like a 2-3 week wait. Now I can apply for LAO panels.

On 6/1/2020 at 10:29 AM, CoffeeandLaw said:

I think you are both kind of missing the point. Being called is a celebration every year. I'm not saying we should go from no celebration to a celebration. I'm saying this is always done, and it would be nice if the LSO acknowledged this accomplishment like they have for years and years. Additionally, even with the fee reduction, the LSO is still pocketing around 200 dollars per call, and I think it is reasonable to assume that the cost of processing each call is not 200 dollars. That's fine that you two don't feel like celebrating and I respect that perspective, but many people do and I wish you would respect that as well instead of calling people arrogant and putting them down.

Additionally, I think most people I've talked to who want a ceremony/some celebration want it more for their parents/family than for themselves. I don't think it comes from a place of wanting to feel special so much as wanting their families and support systems to have that moment. 

The LSO has already said they’re going to look into alternative ways to celebrate new calls. Unless the stance is that the LSO should have held a ceremony remotely in lieu of an in person one (which almost certainly would have resulted in more complaining), or that the LSO should have held an in person ceremony illegally, I don’t know what the complaint is. The argument that people should be sympathetic because the call to the bar ceremony is delayed strikes me as incredibly tone deaf when viewed against the backdrop of all the actual problems that exist in the world.  

For those who were complaining that convocation wasn’t live-streamed, you can watch the archived version here: https://lso.freestonelms.com/viewer/8aAKri2bW8ZLqfvUp1BSALSAwRdDv

I’m sure you’ll all be flocking to do so :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

The LSO has already said they’re going to look into alternative ways to celebrate new calls. Unless the stance is that the LSO should have held a ceremony remotely in lieu of an in person one (which almost certainly would have resulted in more complaining), or that the LSO should have held an in person ceremony illegally, I don’t know what the complaint is. The argument that people should be sympathetic because the call to the bar ceremony is delayed strikes me as incredibly tone deaf when viewed against the backdrop of all the actual problems that exist in the world.  

For those who were complaining that convocation wasn’t live-streamed, you can watch the archived version here: https://lso.freestonelms.com/viewer/8aAKri2bW8ZLqfvUp1BSALSAwRdDv

I’m sure you’ll all be flocking to do so :rolleyes:

you can't instagram an archived stream to accumulate likes my friend

8 hours ago, hmyo said:

you can't instagram an archived stream to accumulate likes my friend

Come now. I think it's disingenuous to imply that the people complaining about the LSO's handling of the Call to the Bar are doing so because they're vapid wannabe Instagram influencers just doing it for the 'gram.

I like to think posters can disagree on this issue without lowering themselves to such lazy, disrespectful, highly uncharitable generalizations.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

From what I’ve seen, new licensees get two certificates (those often seen framed in lawyers’ offices). Is anyone aware as to how we can obtain ours? Will the LSO be mailing them to our address on file?

There are some who would posit that you are all fortunate not to have had to sit through a long, hot, boring event.  And, some would also add that celebrations can still happen for those who need to celebrate. 

• Like 2

TL/DR: Wondering if June 2020 calls are still entitled whiners now that they might be called any time between June 12, 2020 and "the end of the summer"? 

Not sure why this thread got derailed to "all of these entitled BABIES are crying about not being able to post instagram pictures in their robes to flex on their friends", but this is what June 2020 calls are actually annoyed about: 

"The Law Society will commence notifying candidates that they have been administratively licensed in mid-June and will continue to administratively call eligible candidates on a weekly basis until the end of the summer or until all eligible candidates are called. Notifications of licensure will occur every Friday throughout the summer commencing June 12, 2020. Candidates are expected to monitor their online account."

This is incredibly frustrating for candidates who were supposed to be called by June 25th. The entire purpose of the administrative call was to quickly license candidates so that they could practice law. I have already heard of people losing their jobs because they cannot let their employer know when they will...you know...be a lawyer. 

• Like 1