Applicant

Ontario Call to the Bar - June

1 hour ago, willmikemadeit said:

Thanks for the info. This just makes everything more unknown. Now they are saying next week?

In a typical Call to the Bar, what happens exactly? re: your licensing status not the ceremony itself.

I believe in a typical ceremony situation you sign the roll for the OntCA and the ONCJ and you receive your Barrister Degree and Certificate of Qualification during the ceremony. The Membership number is then mailed following the call.
https://lso.ca/becoming-licensed/lawyer-licensing-process/call-to-the-bar

Regardless, you can't do much without the Membership number.

So I guess we just wait and see, I'm sure LSO is just as confused as we are since this is the first ever "paper" call to the bar in history.

Just spoke with licensing at LSO. Those eligible for the May 28 paper call should receive a message within the "next few business days" advising them of next steps. 

1 minute ago, dsbz said:

Just spoke with licensing at LSO. Those eligible for the May 28 paper call should receive a message within the "next few business days" advising them of next steps. 

Thanks for posting this. Clear as mud! Fair to say we can't be lawyers until we get that email...and even then, depending on what it says. 

Sorry to everyone whose plans today are not working out. 

25 minutes ago, Obliqua said:

Thanks for posting this. Clear as mud! Fair to say we can't be lawyers until we get that email...and even then, depending on what it says. 

Sorry to everyone whose plans today are not working out. 

Definitely disappointing. It would have been nice if the LSO communicated this to us before.

9 minutes ago, FunnyLawName said:

Hoorrsseeeshiitttttttttt

Couldn't have said it better myself

I spoke to someone just now who explained it as it being the same is if the call were in person. Today's the actual "Call Date" but we get LSO number etc later on. I guess we're just lawyers now? 

Anticlimactic congratulations.

11 minutes ago, Obliqua said:

I spoke to someone just now who explained it as it being the same is if the call were in person. Today's the actual "Call Date" but we get LSO number etc later on. I guess we're just lawyers now? 

Anticlimactic congratulations.

Congrats! *Pops Champagne*

Yeah I guess we're lawyers on paper only. Practically we can't do anything until we get our Membership number.

I'll be celebrating for real when my name is listed on the directory though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Obliqua said:

I guess we're just lawyers now? 

This is truly appalling lol. Like it's funny, but it is also appalling that they have been so bad at communicating that people don't even know if they are lawyers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoffeeandLaw said:

This is truly appalling lol. Like it's funny, but it is also appalling that they have been so bad at communicating that people don't even know if they are lawyers.

It's even funnier that they waited until today to send a notice about the reduction in Call Fees, when they announced it almost a week ago on Twitter. I had a glimpse of hope when I saw the email in my inbox.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, yearzero said:

Yeah I guess we're lawyers on paper only. Practically we can't do anything until we get our Membership number.

This isn't true. Below is from LawPRO's website:

Can I practise right after I’m called?

New lawyers can apply at any time after receiving a Law Society number from the Law Society of Ontario. While it’s important to apply promptly for insurance, you do not need to delay beginning to practise. You can begin the practice of law immediately while you wait to receive your number, with one exception: if you intend to practise real estate law, you must wait until your compulsory Real Estate Practice Coverage Option is in place to do so.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, airrep said:

It's even funnier that they waited until today to send a notice about the reduction in Call Fees, when they announced it almost a week ago on Twitter. I had a glimpse of hope when I saw the email in my inbox.

It's even funnier thats even after posting to twitter, and now sending a message, the old call fee still shows up for me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I got 2 messages from the Law Society in the past hour... One was to advise me that the Call to the Bar fee was being reduced and the second was to advise me that the invoice reflecting this change has been posted to my account.

Edited by willmikemadeit

1 minute ago, willmikemadeit said:

I got 2 messages from the Law Society in the past hour... One was to advise me that Call to the Bar fee was being reduced and second was to advise me that the invoice reflecting this change has been posted to my account.

Haha yeah, the excitement of opening up the message only to be let down twice in a day. Must be trolling us on purpose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, BringBackCrunchBerries said:

This isn't true. Below is from LawPRO's website:

Can I practise right after I’m called?

New lawyers can apply at any time after receiving a Law Society number from the Law Society of Ontario. While it’s important to apply promptly for insurance, you do not need to delay beginning to practise. You can begin the practice of law immediately while you wait to receive your number, with one exception: if you intend to practise real estate law, you must wait until your compulsory Real Estate Practice Coverage Option is in place to do so.

I wasn't aware of this, thank you for posting this. Although it would still be prudent to wait until we receive confirmation from LSO.

1 hour ago, airrep said:

There is great comfort in knowing that someone else got so briefly excited only to be so let down. lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yearzero said:

I wasn't aware of this, thank you for posting this. Although it would still be prudent to wait until we receive confirmation from LSO.

In deciding if thats what you’ll actually do, just know that when I was called several years ago through the ‘normal process’, I didn’t get my LSUC # for a month or more. I eventually called them and got it, then got the letter a few weeks after.

• Like 2

So was anyone directly informed about being called or is this tweet supposed to be notice for May 28 calls?

• Haha 3

Folks who get called to the bar tend to lose access to the licensing portal a short time later. I'd recommend you take this opportunity to download copies of your tax slips or any other useful documents that are on the site.