Jump to content
Applicant

Ontario Call to the Bar - June

Recommended Posts

Is anyone else in the 2019-2020 cohort frustrated with the lack of information about the June call? We're supposed to be called next month and have yet to receive any information about how it will work and when it will be. Apparently, the LSO has contacted a random few to say that they can be called on May 28th but this information has not been made public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand that but we have been given no information on what the administrative process entails or when we'll even be called. It appears as though some people have been told that they'll be called on May 28th but no one else has been given any information at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah sorry, I misunderstood your concerns. Those are relevant questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on info from some school colleagues, it's my understanding that candidates who began their articles no later than July 2019 are eligible to be called on May 28. A majority of candidates, myself included, started in August 2019, so our paper call will still be sometime in June. 

As part of the paper call, it looks like the LSO will require us to sign a copy of the oath and have it commissioned. I'm sure it won't be too much longer until the LSO provides more info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Applicant said:

I understand that but we have been given no information on what the administrative process entails or when we'll even be called. It appears as though some people have been told that they'll be called on May 28th but no one else has been given any information at all.

This is the LSO. Get used to it.

I'm sure they'll let you know eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, shysunlight said:

As part of the paper call, it looks like the LSO will require us to sign a copy of the oath and have it commissioned. I'm sure it won't be too much longer until the LSO provides more info.

A colleague informed me that once your articling term ends you're directed to two pieces of paper work on your LSO account, one of which is a copy of the oath that you are supposed to have commissioned or in person. The other tells you the date of your administrative call. Once you submit those documents you'll be charged your licence application fee and wait for the date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2020 at 1:35 PM, Applicant said:

I understand that but we have been given no information on what the administrative process entails or when we'll even be called. It appears as though some people have been told that they'll be called on May 28th but no one else has been given any information at all.

The May 28th calls have completed all of the licensing requirements already, including articling. 

In terms of the process, you just submit a witnessed Call Petition and a commissioned Affidavit for Taking the Oath for Call. It can be digitally commissioned. If you are waiting on the June/July paper call,  don't worry, it'll be fine.  It's not very exciting but it's certainly not complex enough to be concerned about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, InsertPseudonymHere said:

The June call is a rolling call that can last "several weeks after June 10", into July. What a joke. 

Really hope they prioritize people who need an earlier call vs people going back to work on Bay in September/October.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, CoffeeandLaw said:

Really hope they prioritize people who need an earlier call vs people going back to work on Bay in September/October.

My exact sentiments. But how would the LSO know? Do we have to send them an email?

They basically left us in the dark in regards to the actual date, allowed our firms to make hireback/start date decisions, and then changed it up through a random email at 9a.m. on a Saturday.

Edited by InsertPseudonymHere
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If, as was posted, it would go for several weeks into July, why would that affect someone who isn't going back until the fall?

And why would those returning to Bay be afforded priority over anyone else? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

If, as was posted, it would go for several weeks into July, why would that affect someone who isn't going back until the fall?

And why would those returning to Bay be afforded priority over anyone else? 

I think you understood the exact opposite of my point. I said people who need an earlier call vs Bay street, meaning those on Bay do not need an earlier call. Students planning on going into sole practice, for instance, might be disadvantaged by waiting to be called. 

Edited by CoffeeandLaw
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're right. I did misunderstand. I blame it on a 5:30 rise this morning with a 2 year old!  Sorry about that!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

195 bucks for administrative call, on top of the hassel of finding someone to comission the documents for me, and they won't give a guaranteed call date. 

The LSO is just disappointing. 

Edited by whoknows
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, whoknows said:

195 bucks for administrative call, on top of the hassel of finding someone to comission the documents for me, and they won't give a guaranteed call date. 

The LSO is just disappointing. 

The hassle of finding someone to commission the documents for you? Can you not ask your principal lawyer, another lawyer at the firm, or ANY OTHER LAWYER? Such a hassle...

Here, I will even draft the email for you:

Hi XX,

I just received some documents from the LSO that I need to have commissioned for my administrative call to the bar. Would you be available any time this week to commission them for me? We can do it in person or by video call!

Thanks,

XX

 

 

I hope you don’t encounter any truly difficult tasks during your career. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ottawhat said:

The hassle of finding someone to commission the documents for you? Can you not ask your principal lawyer, another lawyer at the firm, or ANY OTHER LAWYER? Such a hassle...

Here, I will even draft the email for you:

Hi XX,

I just received some documents from the LSO that I need to have commissioned for my administrative call to the bar. Would you be available any time this week to commission them for me? We can do it in person or by video call!

Thanks,

XX

 

 

I hope you don’t encounter any truly difficult tasks during your career. 

 

Instead of sniping back about how easy it is to get a document commissioned and being generally uncivil, I'd suggest you do the extremely difficult task of typing the word "hassle" into Google, and perhaps internalizing the definition. Note how nowhere in it does it say the task is hard. If you really want to go a step further, use some empathy skills to figure out how and why that definition might fit the current process, especially given the current state of the world, and yes, may even rise to the level of being difficult or burdensome. 

My point stands, the LSO is layering bureaucracy and fees onto an administrative process that most new calls are going to need to use, and are still unable to provide answers to immensely difficult questions like "on what date will I be called?", that is disappointing.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Call me crazy, but $195 plus having some documents commissioned strikes me as less of a hassle than $250, having some documents commissioned, renting/buying robes, and attending the ceremony. 

The LSO seems to be being pretty reasonable and requesting the bare minimum here. I’m actually pretty impressed with the way they’ve handled all the licensing decisions so far. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, whoknows said:

 

Instead of sniping back about how easy it is to get a document commissioned and being generally uncivil, I'd suggest you do the extremely difficult task of typing the word "hassle" into Google, and perhaps internalizing the definition. Note how nowhere in it does it say the task is hard. If you really want to go a step further, use some empathy skills to figure out how and why that definition might fit the current process, especially given the current state of the world, and yes, may even rise to the level of being difficult or burdensome. 

My point stands, the LSO is layering bureaucracy and fees onto an administrative process that most new calls are going to need to use, and are still unable to provide answers to immensely difficult questions like "on what date will I be called?", that is disappointing.  

I will note that I didn’t say the process is perfect and that the lack of some information is annoying. I am in the same boat as you and would love to know the date of my call. Hell, given that I was laid off two months ago before they had any real COVID policies in place, I have probably dealt with them more than most current articling students have. 
 

However, if one of the complaints you have against the LSO that you thought was worth mentioning is that they are making you find a commissioner so that you can be called, then it would appear that you don’t have that much to complain about. They adapted their process to the current state of affairs. If you want, you can always defer your call until the next ceremony so that you won’t have to deal with all the obstacles they have placed before you. 
 

I’m tired of the “woe is me” proclamations that come from so many people. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...