Hi,

Just wondering what the first year of courses looks like. I try to search on the website but they only show 3 courses. Do we get to choose our own courses or it is setup for us by the faculty. Any input is highly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Both the schedule and timetable for the academic year that just ended are here. I don't think we have any choices.

• Like 1

The administration probably wont finalize your class schedule until the first two weeks of Legal Process (one of your courses) is done. You don't get to choose you courses, but everyone has the same schedule, just split into different sections. The courses are all full year except for Legal Process which is 2 weeks at the start of the year and 1 week in January, and Law, Legislation, and Policy (LLP) which finishes in December. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/4/2020 at 9:31 PM, cheesy said:

The administration probably wont finalize your class schedule until the first two weeks of Legal Process (one of your courses) is done. You don't get to choose you courses, but everyone has the same schedule, just split into different sections. The courses are all full year except for Legal Process which is 2 weeks at the start of the year and 1 week in January, and Law, Legislation, and Policy (LLP) which finishes in December. 

Sorry if I'm reading it wrong, so do we do 7 classes at once in first year? Not including Legal Process? (Constitutional, Criminal, LLP,  Contracts, Property, Torts, Legal research and writing).

12 hours ago, CaveatEmptor1 said:

Sorry if I'm reading it wrong, so do we do 7 classes at once in first year? Not including Legal Process? (Constitutional, Criminal, LLP,  Contracts, Property, Torts, Legal research and writing).

For first semester, yes. LLP ends in December, the other 6 courses continue to April. I know 7 courses at once sounds daunting, it was for me too, but it honestly isn't too bad.

22 minutes ago, NavAcid said:

For first semester, yes. LLP ends in December, the other 6 courses continue to April. I know 7 courses at once sounds daunting, it was for me too, but it honestly isn't too bad.

Thanks for the response.

How would you say it stacks up to, say, taking 5 undergraduate courses (not sure how you did your degree)? Are the courses far harder than undergraduate ones (I'm assuming yes)? Thanks

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, CaveatEmptor1 said:

Thanks for the response.

How would you say it stacks up to, say, taking 5 undergraduate courses (not sure how you did your degree)? Are the courses far harder than undergraduate ones (I'm assuming yes)? Thanks

Keep in mind this is a pretty subjective question that varies by personal experiences. Some people find the transition to not be so bad, while others have a much more difficult time. Personally, I thought law school courses were only slightly more difficult than undergrad courses in terms of understanding the content. However, I did find the workload to be more intense, partly because of the extra courses and also because there is much more reading involved. But again like I said, it isn't too bad once you get used to the flow of things and settle into a study routine.

Edited by NavAcid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NavAcid said:

Keep in mind this is a pretty subjective question that varies by personal experiences. Some people find the transition to not be so bad, while others have a much more difficult time. Personally, I thought law school courses were only slightly more difficult than undergrad courses in terms of understanding the content. However, I did find the workload to be more intense, partly because of the extra courses and also because there is much more reading involved. But again like I said, it isn't too bad once you get used to the flow of things and settle into a study routine.

Great, thanks