Hello,

My stats are 3.2 gpa as per calculated by u of a and 157 lsat score. I got rejected even though i thought my holistic profile was very strong.I have been accepted by 5 other schools though. Edmonton was my first choice because its home for me and i have a kid who is 2 years. He will be living with his dad here while i go away to law school in BC this coming Sept if all gets better with covid. I still want to apply for a transfer during 2nd year so i can be closer to my kid and stay home. 

My question is that when i try to apply for a transfer, what is the biggest aspect of the profile they consider? should I re take LSAT? Also should I try emailing UofA (may be a dean or assistant dean) for a reconsideration of my application for 2020? I would like to hear about both successful and unsuccessful experience about this. appreciate the help. 

Thanks!

https://www.ualberta.ca/law/programs/jd/admissions/upper-year-applicant-requirements

Upper Year Applicant Requirements

Students who are attending other Canadian Law Schools may apply as Transfer Students or Visiting (Letter of Permission) students. The number of students admitted under this category will vary from year to year depending upon the Faculty's overall enrollment and needs. In deciding upon which applicants to admit, the Committee will assess both the reasons for wishing to attend the Faculty and the student's potential to succeed at the U of A.

Applicants who have completed their first year of law study outside of Canada will not be considered for transfer.

Applicants must submit their application form and fee by May 15th.

Supporting documents are due by June 1st.

The online application can be used by transfer & visiting applicants but only until November 1st.

After November 1st a hard copy application must be used and must be submitted directly to the Faculty of Law Admissions Office (Room 128 Law Centre, Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2H5).

Requirements

Transfers to 2nd Year (restricted to students who have completed their first year in a Canadian Common Law program):

• The completed application form (electronic or hard copy as indicated above) along with the $125.00 application fee ($75.00 for readmission).

• All post-secondary transcripts, including Winter Term results (sent directly from the issuing institution(s) to the Faculty of Law Admissions Office).

• An official transcript with your final grades from first year law (sent directly to the Faculty of Law Admissions Office from your law school).

• A chronological resume (including your educational background and work experience).

• A personal statement explaining why you wish to transfer to the University of Alberta Faculty of Law.

• One academic letter of reference from a law professor.

• Like 1

Definitely do NOT email the dean or anyone else for reconsideration.

Transferring after 1L is possible. You have a reasonable explanation as to why you’d like to transfer. Work hard to keep your 1L grades above average. The better your grades, the more likely a transfer will be granted.

I wouldn’t count on transferring, though. It’s by no means guaranteed. Other people have compelling reasons also to be in Edmonton. Yours probably won’t be unique. It’s better to plan on attending all three years and have a transfer be a pleasant surprise, as opposed to desperately depending on a transfer which might not happen. 

I assume you have carefully considered the pros and cons of leaving your very young child for potentially most of the next 3 years? Is it impossible for all of you to temporarily move to BC, or to reapply to the U of A next year after raising your LSAT/improving other aspects of your application?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

How much weight is given to an increased LSAT score for a transfer application? It seems you have to list LSAT score in the general application but it is not listed explicitly as one of the factors. 

If I were running things, I would put all the weight on the 1st year law grades and reference letter. You are in law school now, let's see how you did, rather than looking at a test that is meant to only predict how you might do in law school. Sadly, I am not the one running things.

Is the school you are going to having online only classes this Fall? Something to look into with regard to staying in Edmonton for half the year.

Some law schools allow you to go abroad in your 3rd year if you complete requirements in your 1st 2 years. This can sometimes include going to another Canadian university, such as attending U of A as a "visiting" student. Not sure if that's easier or hard (I would assume easier because you aren't getting a U of A degree, you just attend courses there for 3rd year) and thus this may be a backup in case your 2nd year transfer application fails. 

Edited by atg25

On 5/3/2020 at 5:28 PM, freshman said:

Hello,

My stats are 3.2 gpa as per calculated by u of a and 157 lsat score. I got rejected even though i thought my holistic profile was very strong.I have been accepted by 5 other schools though. Edmonton was my first choice because its home for me and i have a kid who is 2 years. He will be living with his dad here while i go away to law school in BC this coming Sept if all gets better with covid. I still want to apply for a transfer during 2nd year so i can be closer to my kid and stay home. 

My question is that when i try to apply for a transfer, what is the biggest aspect of the profile they consider? should I re take LSAT? Also should I try emailing UofA (may be a dean or assistant dean) for a reconsideration of my application for 2020? I would like to hear about both successful and unsuccessful experience about this. appreciate the help. 

Thanks!

From my experience, the process for being accepted as a transfer student at UAlberta law is fairly opaque. I was just accepted as an upper year transfer student this cycle. When I spoke with admissions about the process over the phone/email, I wasn't told much about the process. Unlike other law schools, there is no compassionate grounds category for transfer students. I was told to maintain a GPA of at least 3.0 and provide a good reason for wanting to transfer on the personal statement. The admission of transfer students varies year to year given the availability of room, so nothing is guaranteed. 

UAlberta admissions is a complete black box if you fail to gain admission in the early/mid period based strictly on numbers. 

I had a very solid reason for transferring (that most transfer applicants will not possess) and it was for that reason that I believe I was accepted.  The desire to be with your child in Edmonton does seem like a similarly solid reason to attend UAlberta. Also, take note that you must present a recommendation letter from one of your professors. My experience suggests that this is not as easy as some people might think. Professors are (again, from my own experience) loathe to provide first year students who they barely know with recommendation letters. I was lucky on this front. 

With that being said, I wouldn't start law school somewhere with the expectation that you will successfully transfer somewhere else. If you start law school this fall, begin your studies with the desire to complete your degree at that particular law school. When you get your mid-terms marks back and you have a fair idea of your circumstances, then make your decision/begin to form your expectations. Inquire with the admissions office at UAlberta law, but don't expect to be told much. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

This may be a bit late to comment on this, but I've been trying to look through this forum for some posts from successful students who were about to transfer into the U of A. I haven't been able to come up with anything and was wondering if someone could help me find some old threads or perhaps let me know what to search? If anyone has successfully transferred to the U of A and has time, I would love to hear your experience and if you have any advice. 

I'm in a similar boat where I got into U of C, but Edmonton is home. I decided to just go for it and not move with everything being online, but I do want to start thinking about trying to transfer into the U of A. I do understand that that may not be possible though and am willing to temporarily move to Calgary when the time comes. 

Edited by Kingifer

On 8/31/2020 at 2:34 PM, Kingifer said:

This may be a bit late to comment on this, but I've been trying to look through this forum for some posts from successful students who were about to transfer into the U of A. I haven't been able to come up with anything and was wondering if someone could help me find some old threads or perhaps let me know what to search? If anyone has successfully transferred to the U of A and has time, I would love to hear your experience and if you have any advice. 

I'm in a similar boat where I got into U of C, but Edmonton is home. I decided to just go for it and not move with everything being online, but I do want to start thinking about trying to transfer into the U of A. I do understand that that may not be possible though and am willing to temporarily move to Calgary when the time comes. 

I'm an incoming upper year transfer to the U of A. PM me.