On 7/30/2020 at 6:08 PM, lawstud1111 said:

That sounds so exciting I actually can't wait to get involved

yeah, i will caution though, as a previous poster did, that you might not get all or any of what you want/expect. the clinic spots (which again, from what i’ve heard through the grapevine, largely won’t be available to 1Ls this year?) were pretty limited and/or competitive. some things (e.g. some of the PBSC placements) just suck and you don’t figure it out until after you’ve committed. some people strike out and don’t get anything at all — absolutely not reflective of them as a law student, it’s just the luck of the draw. 

i think a lot of folks (read: me) got stressed about ECs in september because it’s the first few weeks and you’re just really eager to jump in and do cool law school things. so i want to emphasize that you reeeaaally shouldn’t feel bad or anxious if you get dealt a bad hand. it’s not important. you have a whole three years, with opportunities popping up at several points throughout those years. 

7 hours ago, garlicbread said:

yeah, i will caution though, as a previous poster did, that you might not get all or any of what you want/expect. the clinic spots (which again, from what i’ve heard through the grapevine, largely won’t be available to 1Ls this year?) were pretty limited and/or competitive. some things (e.g. some of the PBSC placements) just suck and you don’t figure it out until after you’ve committed. some people strike out and don’t get anything at all — absolutely not reflective of them as a law student, it’s just the luck of the draw. 

i think a lot of folks (read: me) got stressed about ECs in september because it’s the first few weeks and you’re just really eager to jump in and do cool law school things. so i want to emphasize that you reeeaaally shouldn’t feel bad or anxious if you get dealt a bad hand. it’s not important. you have a whole three years, with opportunities popping up at several points throughout those years. 

Seconding this. Some of the placements sound SO COOL and then when you begin them you realize they’re less hands on than you hoped and some don’t have too much guidance. I did not like my clinic then had to spend 2 hours a week there anyway. I think it’s worth talking to upper years that have done clinics you’re applying for if they were available in past years. After orientation the admins of the 2023 group will open it up to upper years and you’ll be able to join the upper year groups as well so you could post to see if anyone has done it.

Even if you don’t find something you like or don’t get the ECs you like, a lot of things also pop up over the course of the year that people who are swamped with ECs already don’t have the capacity for. It’s gonna be okay.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• a. You should have or will receive soon an email that has the links, but basically, for the exam itself you will need access to the LawHub site (you can find it off LSAC's site) and ProctorU. You can check all your technical requirements on ProctorU once LSAC has sent you an email with your username and password. Anything you need for the test (ex. ID) is also listed on the LSAC site. b. LawHub has a couple practice exams that will be in the exact same format as the real one. This is the site you'll take the actual exam on, ProctorU is just for security.  c. You can do Writing up to a week earlier than your actual test, and then you have a window of a year afterward to do it. But you need it on file to apply for schools and it takes 2 - 3 weeks to process. Your LSAC account has a practice Writing space to use (the "Get Acquainted" button). You'll need to download a different security software than the one used for the exam. (EDIT: Lots of people have trouble getting the Writing software to work, so don't panic if it won't open for you on the first try. You can also redo Writing without needing to redo the LSAT.)
    • Hi, For all of you guys who have already taken the test, I have a couple of questions in relation to LSAT Flex (I am registered to take it in August) a. What are the steps that I need to take in order to be ready for taking LSAT Flex (i.e. what software to download,  what documents to prepare, is there a web connection that I can/need to test, is there a way to check and certify that I am ready to take the test from a technical perspective, etc.) b. Is there a way to take a "fake" LSAT flex under real-like exam conditions (including all the steps that I need to undertake at a.)? c. When can/should I write the LSAT writing test, before or after taking LSAT Flex? Is it the same setup like for the LSAT Flex? Will I write my writing sample on a computer in a special editor or in an editor of my choosing (i.e. MS Word)? If it is a special editor, is there a way to get acquainted with this editor, does it have spell check and formatting (or is it more like Notepad)? I would not want to have any surprises/scramble to install stuff on my computer on exam day, if at all possible.   Thanks a bunch!
    • For what it’s worth, I interviewed at a mid size municipality outside the GTA last year as a 5 year call. The questions were quite general if I recall:  “describe a situation where you” type stuff and mostly not substantive in nature. Knowledge of municipal or planning wasn’t a large factor in their hiring decision but they did ask some basic questions to get an idea of your level of knowledge.    
    • I was accepted with stats almost identical to yours (3.7 cGPA [3.72 with final winter term marks] and 158 LSAT). Though I was not waitlisted, I recieved my offer of admission later in the cycle during the last large wave of acceptances. Take care when preparing your personal statement and sketch, as well as when selecting those who will write your reference letters and you will have a legitimate shot at an offer from Osgoode- especially if you are able to improve your LSAT a few percentile points. 
    • Holy smokes, that's very intense. You should be very proud of yourself. 167 is an amazing score! Did Mike Kim's Trainer help you?