Jared99

What Can I do with a UK LLB in Canada when being a lawyer is not possible.

I have an LLB from the UK (distance degree) and completing NCA requirements is not possible. What other options are there? What job can I get? Can I simply apply for paralegal licensing without further education? Why can't I get a legal assistant job? Need some real advice. 

1 hour ago, Jared99 said:

I have an LLB from the UK (distance degree) and completing NCA requirements is not possible. What other options are there? What job can I get? Can I simply apply for paralegal licensing without further education? Why can't I get a legal assistant job? Need some real advice. 

I don't think you can apply for paralegal licensing without further education.

https://lso.ca/becoming-licensed/paralegal-licensing-process/licensing-process-policies

Part III: Education Requirements

Education Requirements for Registration into the Licensing Process

3.1 A person may be registered into the Licensing Process as a Candidate if he or she:

1. has obtained a diploma from a legal services program that was, at the time that the person graduated from that legal services program, an Accredited Program; or
  2. has completed all of the requirements to obtain a diploma from a legal services program that is an Accredited Program and is awaiting receipt of the transcript of final marks and the conferring of the diploma on the Candidate by the Accredited Program.

3 hours ago, Jared99 said:

What is the problem with being an assistant?

54 minutes ago, Butterscotch said:

What is the problem with being an assistant?

No one will hire me. lol

23 minutes ago, Jared99 said:

No one will hire me. lol

You wouldn't know until you apply lol 

I know a senior lawyer who almost exclusively hires foreign LLBs as her legal assistants. She likes the cheap yet technically skilled labor.

I wouldn't refer you to her (partly because you probably don't live in that part of the country, partly because putting you in harm's way would be unethical), but I imagine there are other lawyers who would also jump at the opportunity to hire a foreign LLB as an assistant. It may come down to how you present yourself on your CV / interview and how you can convince the reader/interviewer that you want to be treated as an assistant and won't go rogue. And that it's a genuine interest and that you're not about to leave...

Good luck with your aspirations, OP.

3 hours ago, Jared99 said:

No one will hire me. lol

Have you considered leaving the foreign LLB off your resume? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jared99 said:

jobs that dont require a legal degree but related to law: clerk, mediator, legal assistant.  You dont need any credentials to be a legal assistant, I believe its same with clerk, but paralegal is regulated.  You can easily attend a fast tracked paralegal program at a college, 1 year, 2.5k tuition, or get a clerk diploma which should have coop, for the same. 

From my knowledge, you can enhance your distance degree, by possibly applying to Canadian law schools as a transfer student, write the lsat. Should be easier to get into law school in Canada as a transfer, since you wont be competing with normal application process. You could go back to england and do a 2 year llb in person or a 8 month GLD, graduate law diploma, that should sort your current llb. 

If you dont wanna do any more school, look into being a mediator, apparently you can do that with a unqualified LLB degree. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, brokendoor said:

From my knowledge, you can enhance your distance degree, by possibly applying to Canadian law schools as a transfer student, write the lsat. Should be easier to get into law school in Canada as a transfer, since you wont be competing with normal application process. You could go back to england and do a 2 year llb in person or a 8 month GLD, graduate law diploma, that should sort your current llb. 

Did you do this?

Edited by Trew

15 hours ago, Deadpool said:

Have you considered leaving the foreign LLB off your resume? 

Sadly, the degree has become a liability

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, brokendoor said:

jobs that dont require a legal degree but related to law: clerk, mediator, legal assistant.  You dont need any credentials to be a legal assistant, I believe its same with clerk, but paralegal is regulated.  You can easily attend a fast tracked paralegal program at a college, 1 year, 2.5k tuition, or get a clerk diploma which should have coop, for the same. 

If you dont wanna do any more school, look into being a mediator, apparently you can do that with a unqualified LLB degree. 

• From your knowledge, you know someone who was able to transfer to a Canadian Law school with a "distance degree" from UK?
  •  
  •  

10 hours ago, Trew said:

Did you do this?

Not reasonable to leave the country. Hence the distance degree. I tried applying to Canada law schools with no luck. NCA makes the task impossible to complete in the country. Maybe I'll go to law school in the US

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jared99 said:

Not reasonable to leave the country. Hence the distance degree. I tried applying to Canada law schools with no luck. NCA makes the task impossible to complete in the country. Maybe I'll go to law school in the US

God no, do not make a similar mistake again...

What do your alternative career options look like; how old are you and what stage in life are you currently in? Give us some more information so we could help you come up with options. 

2 hours ago, Luckycharm said:
  • From your knowledge, you know someone who was able to transfer to a Canadian Law school with a "distance degree" from UK?
  •  
  •  

I don't know about distance degrees (or UK law degrees in general, since they're not second-entry programs like in Canada), but I have heard some people transfer over from US law schools after 1L. I would imagine it would still be quite competitive, since you're put up against all those other 1L transfer students who may have gotten great grades in first year and already had high scores on the LSAT. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't really think transfer applications are any less competitive than first year admissions, except that perhaps the pool you're up against is smaller, lending to a potential increase in chances for that reason alone.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Trew said:

Did you do this?

Ive heard of someone doing the GLD, 8 months and did enter the NCA process to write challenge exams, but I never questioned them more on it, that was back in 2015 and theyve made some changes by now. 

OLSAS said that windsor does take transfer students, donno anyones that done it

Edited by brokendoor

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Jared99 said:

From what I know you just need to have 2 years of in-class law school. There are law schools in england that are 2 years, llb degrees. But yea tbh your distance ed llb is useless. 

have you considered being a paralegal ? they can do small claims court, but are locked out of family law is the only downside. 

Or just go to law school in england in person for 2 years. If you can go to the USA but cant go to england ? you need to have an in person degree.  

could you not apply to do an LLM at osgoode PD Canadian common law with your distance ed degree? 

Edited by brokendoor

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, brokendoor said:

Ive heard of someone doing the GLD, 8 months and did enter the NCA process to write challenge exams, but I never questioned them more on it.

OLSAS said that windsor does take transfer students, donno anyones that done it

This is why you don't make career decisions based on the opinions of strangers on the internet.

Edited by Trew

5 minutes ago, Trew said:

This is why you don't make career decisions based on the opinions of strangers on the internet.

well its good to hear ideas of whats possible, then you need to go research it because some things are outdated and the loopholes have been closed.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, brokendoor said:

well its good to hear ideas of whats possible, then you need to go research it because some things are outdated and the loopholes have been closed.

Possible yet you don't know anyone whose done it. Feel free to send your research, if any

Edited by Trew

5 minutes ago, Trew said:

Possible yet you don't know anyone whose done it. Feel free to send your research, if any

Applications for Advanced Standing to the JD Program

Individuals who have attended a foreign law school for more than 1 year may apply for advanced standing in the JD program. This will normally require 2 years of full-time study in the JD program at Windsor Law.

You may be eligible for the JD degree from the University of Windsor upon successfully completing 2 years of academic work, subject to meeting the Faculty of Law’s academic requirements.

The deadline for applications is May 1, 2020.