Jump to content
newtolaw

Incoming First Year Questions

Recommended Posts

Hi All! I accepted my UofA offer this month and had a few questions as I prepare for September. I am still waiting on UofC to respond - that would be my first choice even though I have accepted UofA. I believe I am able to forfeit my deposit if I am accepted into UofC, is that correct? If I do not get into UofC, how easy is it to transfer after first year into Calgary? 

Also, I have no background whatsoever in law, I did my undergrad in Science and so I am worried about fitting in and being able to understand the concepts, what would be a good way to prepare and understand things prior to starting? 

Would appreciate the guidance! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you'd forfeit your deposit if you later accepted UofC. For transfers, it's been a number of years but transfers were very low. UofC runs (or at least used to) a small class, so not many openings. However, UofA places well in Calgary for work if that is your plan. 

For prep, don't do anything. You've got no issues with science background, you'll learn the specific styles required the same as everyone else. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TKNumber3 said:

Yes, you'd forfeit your deposit if you later accepted UofC. For transfers, it's been a number of years but transfers were very low. UofC runs (or at least used to) a small class, so not many openings. However, UofA places well in Calgary for work if that is your plan. 

For prep, don't do anything. You've got no issues with science background, you'll learn the specific styles required the same as everyone else. 

Thanks for the reply. I would like to return to Calgary and work here so its good to hear that UofA places well in Calgary, especially if transferring is not easy. Thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to do any prep. I can't speak for the U of C, but the U of A does a very comprehensive 2 week block "foundations to law" course for all 1Ls in September. The course is meant to get everyone to the same "starting point," and assumes you have zero background in anything remotely law-related. For example, you learn how to read a case, how the different levels of courts operate, and that kind of stuff. That way, when you start "real" classes in mid-September, you're all on the same page.

 

I can't speak to transfers - I just don't know - but I do know that the U of A is very well connected to the Calgary legal community. Virtually all of the large and mid-sized Calgary firms participate in the U of A's on campus recruitment events and have at least a few U of A alumni working at them. I think that as far as schools go, no employer in Calgary will really care if you study in Edmonton or Calgary. What they will care about, however, is whether or not you have a connection to Calgary (ie. will you stay long-term). If you're from Calgary originally, have family there, and explain that it's where you'd like to establish yourself, that'll probably mean a lot more to a firm than where you went to school. 

 

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LadyOfLaw said:

No need to do any prep. I can't speak for the U of C, but the U of A does a very comprehensive 2 week block "foundations to law" course for all 1Ls in September. The course is meant to get everyone to the same "starting point," and assumes you have zero background in anything remotely law-related. For example, you learn how to read a case, how the different levels of courts operate, and that kind of stuff. That way, when you start "real" classes in mid-September, you're all on the same page.

 

I can't speak to transfers - I just don't know - but I do know that the U of A is very well connected to the Calgary legal community. Virtually all of the large and mid-sized Calgary firms participate in the U of A's on campus recruitment events and have at least a few U of A alumni working at them. I think that as far as schools go, no employer in Calgary will really care if you study in Edmonton or Calgary. What they will care about, however, is whether or not you have a connection to Calgary (ie. will you stay long-term). If you're from Calgary originally, have family there, and explain that it's where you'd like to establish yourself, that'll probably mean a lot more to a firm than where you went to school. 

 

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions!

Thanks for the detailed reply! I think my main concern was being able to come back to Calgary to work but getting this information is a bit relieving! Thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2020 at 3:55 PM, newtolaw said:

Hi All! I accepted my UofA offer this month and had a few questions as I prepare for September. I am still waiting on UofC to respond - that would be my first choice even though I have accepted UofA. I believe I am able to forfeit my deposit if I am accepted into UofC, is that correct? If I do not get into UofC, how easy is it to transfer after first year into Calgary? 

Also, I have no background whatsoever in law, I did my undergrad in Science and so I am worried about fitting in and being able to understand the concepts, what would be a good way to prepare and understand things prior to starting? 

Would appreciate the guidance! 

Legit a non issue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are applications for first year summer positions (2021) due in early fall 2020? That is the only 'prep' I would do as an incoming student, whether that involves getting reference letters from your previous degree, etc ready etc so you don't have to spend much time once class starts. I recall that having a science background can be advantageous for some of those positions that involve IP, but I didn't apply for 1LS in Alberta so I don't know the deal here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Applications for 1L summer jobs in Alberta are due in January/February the same year, with interviews over reading week (late February). So for 2021, 1L applications won't be due until January 2021.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to do any prep. You'll be surprised by the amount of students with a science background who do very well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...