Ajk996

Worried about budget cuts-- thoughts from current students??

I did my undergrad at U of A and loved it. My sister is there and I have lots of love for Edmonton (unpopular opinion, I know!). I've been accepted and the plan is to attend this fall, but recent budget cuts are getting me a bit concerned. I looked at Beartracks and I can see some courses aren't being offered next year... I also read online that the Law Library is closing along with Business and Education due to budget cuts (unsure if this is accurate... please do correct me if I am wrong!). I actually paid my deposit for Allard as well for next year and am considering Vancouver at this point despite the much higher cost of living.At this point I'm unsure how this is feeling for U of A students. I did my undergrad from 2014-2018 during the tuition freeze and steady funding to the university from the provincial government and am a bit uneasy thinking about what these cuts will look like and the increased costs for tuition. I'm wondering is any current U of A law students have any thoughts on this?? Appreciate anything :)

I'm in the same boat. I'm a little concerned about the 7% tuition increase as well, I believe U of A's tuition is already higher than Allard's. I guess the cost of living in Edmonton makes up for that but still something to consider.

5 hours ago, maplelaw said:

I'm in the same boat. I'm a little concerned about the 7% tuition increase as well, I believe U of A's tuition is already higher than Allard's. I guess the cost of living in Edmonton makes up for that but still something to consider.

7% is like 800$ its not that big of a deal. Vancouvers housing market isnt like across the board outlandish, you can find reasonable options. Id go to Allard hands down 

• Like 1

The extra tuition at UofA is arguably well worth it if that is where you want to practice. Not every course is offered every year, regardless of the fiscal situation of the school.

I think the budget cut situation is very uncertain at this point. I would imagine universities/students will be receiving some bailout/aid over the next few months (in addition to the students programmes already announced).

Also, is a 7% increase in tuition official? 

I think, unless you want to practice in Edmonton/Alberta, Allard is the better option. 

5 hours ago, Fuzzykittenz said:

I think the budget cut situation is very uncertain at this point. I would imagine universities/students will be receiving some bailout/aid over the next few months (in addition to the students programmes already announced).

Also, is a 7% increase in tuition official? 

I think, unless you want to practice in Edmonton/Alberta, Allard is the better option. 

the u of a has applied for a tuition increase of 7% to the government, and it is a firm decision. (This is according to the dean’s welcome video)

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, anj said:

the u of a has applied for a tuition increase of 7% to the government, and it is a firm decision. (This is according to the dean’s welcome video)

Brutal. 

17 hours ago, ProfReader said:

The extra tuition at UofA is arguably well worth it if that is where you want to practice. Not every course is offered every year, regardless of the fiscal situation of the school.

9 hours ago, Fuzzykittenz said:

I just wanted to say, based on both my own experiences and those of many friends and acquaintances, that Edmonton connections and an Allard education make the Edmonton legal market easy to break into if that is what one wants.

Sure, going to UofA will have benefits in terms of networking in Edmonton and learning the market and key players there. But in terms of actually getting hired to attractive positions in Edmonton, there shouldn't be difficulties if one is an average candidate or stronger.

35 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

I just wanted to say, based on both my own experiences and those of many friends and acquaintances, that Edmonton connections and an Allard education make the Edmonton legal market easy to break into if that is what one wants.

Sure, going to UofA will have benefits in terms of networking in Edmonton and learning the market and key players there. But in terms of actually getting hired to attractive positions in Edmonton, there shouldn't be difficulties if one is an average candidate or stronger.

Yeah, that is fair. I was also thinking logistics of having to move/ fly around for job interviews. 

1 hour ago, Fuzzykittenz said:

Yeah, that is fair. I was also thinking logistics of having to move/ fly around for job interviews. 

Fair enough, but I'll add that for what it's worth I was able to interview by phone/skype for a variety of government jobs and clerkships (literally every Edmonton job I applied to/was interviewed for). However, I never applied to private firms so I can't speak to that.

Posted (edited)

IMO (as someone who thought they wanted to practice in Alberta and was really considering U of A/ U of C, but decided to go somewhere else), if you already have the Alberta connection, then going to Allard will not hurt. Sure, U of A would give direct networking opportunities, but I think the value of networking drops for someone with a connection to Alberta already. 

Furthermore, not only does going to UBC not hinder your chances at Alberta firms, it also opens up the Vancouver market. Should you decide to not practice in Alberta in the future, going to Allard would open more doors. 

I would choose Allard. 

Edited by Twenty

On 4/25/2020 at 4:33 PM, Ajk996 said:

I also read online that the Law Library is closing

Can anyone confirm if this is true? Is it because of COVID or budget cuts? 

20 hours ago, TheRealKingKong said:

Can anyone confirm if this is true? Is it because of COVID or budget cuts? 

I haven't heard this. The law library is always closed over the Spring/Summer, but re-opens for fall classes. If you need a book from there though, you can always order it online and have it delivered to one of the other libraries on campus.

Over the last few years, they've removed some of the physical books and added more study spaces to the law library in their place. Over 3 years as a student (and Research Assistant), I only used physical books a handful of times, as virtually everything you need is online. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2020 at 10:28 AM, LadyOfLaw said:

I haven't heard this. The law library is always closed over the Spring/Summer, but re-opens for fall classes. If you need a book from there though, you can always order it online and have it delivered to one of the other libraries on campus.

Over the last few years, they've removed some of the physical books and added more study spaces to the law library in their place. Over 3 years as a student (and Research Assistant), I only used physical books a handful of times, as virtually everything you need is online. 

The idea that the law library is closed due to budget cuts seems a little extreme. 

Have other libraries closed because of budget cuts? 

4 minutes ago, Euroguy18 said:

The idea that the law library is closed due to budget cuts seems a little extreme. 

Have other libraries closed because of budget cuts? 

Business library (Winspeare) is closing, or has closed already

4 minutes ago, anj said:

Business library (Winspeare) is closing, or has closed already

Wow... 

Hopefully this doesn't spread to the faculty of law. 

5 minutes ago, Euroguy18 said:

Wow... 

Hopefully this doesn't spread to the faculty of law. 

I'm pretty sure it's not, since I still get newsletters as u of a alumni, and the only library they mentioned was closing is business. but who knows, don't take my word for it haha

A law library is crucial to the study (and practice) of the law so I doubt that its going to be closed. The fact that they are closing libraries due to budget cuts is pretty brutal though.