1ceman

LLM Programs

HI all,

As I'm sure many of you can agree, this pandemic is giving us all some time to self-reflect. I'm considering transitioning from my general commercial litigation practice into a role more focused on labour and employment. I'm thinking of either looking into associate positions at a L&E boutique/accounting firm, or a non-lawyer job with L&E aspects. Big law is also a possibility, but I just don't know if that lifestyle suits my personal life.

My understanding is that that most L&E-focused employers understandably prefer applicants who have a "demonstrated interest" in that field. While most of my work currently focuses on management-side employment law, I'm not sure my "demonstrated interest" can translate to paper without some additional credentials.

I'm considering enrolling in a LLM program to bolster my resume, and, hopefully, my chances of landing a position more catered to my L&E interests. 

However, these programs are NOT cheap ($20,000+ for a two-year program), so I want to make sure the investment is worth it. The smarter and cost-effective approach may be just to increase my networking efforts in the L&E industry. 

I'd be grateful for anyone who can share their thoughts on the benefits/drawbacks of LLM programs, particularly those working in L&E.

Thanks in advance,

1M

I’m not involved in hiring but am in L&E. I think the demonstrated interest could be translated to paper in a cover letter or CV - if you do a lot of management side employer work, surely you can reference generally the types of work you’ve been involved in in an application - ie appear before labour arbitrators, tribunals, etc, defended wrongful dismissal claims. And your cover letter is where you make your pitch - I would say IF anywhere is hiring right now, that’s sufficient. An LM isn’t something I see particularly for associates, but usually the associates have done some form of L&E since being called or can spin prior work experience somehow. I transitioned from articling in lit to L&E based on my interest/some files I had done while articling. 

• Like 2

Many L&E lawyers have Masters in Industrial Relations and Human Resources. That will give you more practical knowledge and likely be less expensive. 

51 minutes ago, eit said:

I’m not involved in hiring but am in L&E. I think the demonstrated interest could be translated to paper in a cover letter or CV - if you do a lot of management side employer work, surely you can reference generally the types of work you’ve been involved in in an application - ie appear before labour arbitrators, tribunals, etc, defended wrongful dismissal claims. And your cover letter is where you make your pitch - I would say IF anywhere is hiring right now, that’s sufficient. An LM isn’t something I see particularly for associates, but usually the associates have done some form of L&E since being called or can spin prior work experience somehow. I transitioned from articling in lit to L&E based on my interest/some files I had done while articling. 

I think this is right. If you are doing enough L&E currently that you can talk it up in a cover letter and interview, that would be enough to demonstrate interest and experience in the field. I think an LLM would be overkill.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eit said:

Perfect thank you! Definitely a less expensive route.

1 hour ago, QuixoticLawyer said:

I think this is right. If you are doing enough L&E currently that you can talk it up in a cover letter and interview, that would be enough to demonstrate interest and experience in the field. I think an LLM would be overkill.

Terrific thank you!

I'm doing an Admin LLM right now at Osgoode. I'm currently on reduced hours, so it's nice to have something to work toward/keep me busy throughout all of this. The program itself is flexible enough that I was able to complete two semesters during my Articles with relative ease. I personally enjoy learning and have considered teaching down the line, so having an LLM will help in that respect. I've also contemplated public law (HRTO, LTB etc), but I wouldn't bank on the LLM being a major factor in securing employment.

• Like 1