Guitarguy

Indigenous Applicants

Hey guys, I noticed the other indigenous applicants thread is sort of dead so I thought I’d start a new one.

Indigenous Applicant

Indigenous Applicant

I have a question regarding law school admissions in Canada. I know it’s a difficult question to answer but if there’s anyone who served as law school admissions or have been in the similar situation any help is greatly appreciated. 

My current average is a 3.0 at Western University in Canada. Obviously not the highest. However, I feel like the things I do outside of an academic setting will enhance my chances. I own a successful business and am in the works on opening another business. Before opening my business I held a steady for five years. I speak two languages, and held/hold three executive positions in two different clubs on my campus for the past three years. In addition, I’m indigenous (yes I hold status). In Canada, law schools have a separate admissions process for those applying as indigenous. I haven’t taken the LSAT yet but from practice tests I have taken I’ve scored between 164-170. Can anyone shed some light on my chances of getting into literally ANY law school in Canada? 
Edit: I’m also a musician who can play five separate instruments and an artist (painter)

41 minutes ago, Guitarguy said:

Indigenous Applicant

Indigenous Applicant

I have a question regarding law school admissions in Canada. I know it’s a difficult question to answer but if there’s anyone who served as law school admissions or have been in the similar situation any help is greatly appreciated. 

My current average is a 3.0 at Western University in Canada. Obviously not the highest. However, I feel like the things I do outside of an academic setting will enhance my chances. I own a successful business and am in the works on opening another business. Before opening my business I held a steady for five years. I speak two languages, and held/hold three executive positions in two different clubs on my campus for the past three years. In addition, I’m indigenous (yes I hold status). In Canada, law schools have a separate admissions process for those applying as indigenous. I haven’t taken the LSAT yet but from practice tests I have taken I’ve scored between 164-170. Can anyone shed some light on my chances of getting into literally ANY law school in Canada? 
Edit: I’m also a musician who can play five separate instruments and an artist (painter)

LSAT practice exams are a good start but the scores can be skewed higher than test day. 

If you can score a 170 on the LSAT, from all the boards I’ve seen, you can definitely get some offers from schools who place a higher value on that. 

Currently in law school. I am an indigenous/status individual. I was accepted into every law school I applied to (UofT, Osgoode, Dal, UBC) but Queens with a 163 LSAT and 3.8 GPA.

On 5/14/2020 at 6:35 PM, MicheleFitzFan said:

Currently in law school. I am an indigenous/status individual. I was accepted into every law school I applied to (UofT, Osgoode, Dal, UBC) but Queens with a 163 LSAT and 3.8 GPA.

Wow that's amazing! Any tips for LSAT studying?  

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Periwinkle98 said:

Wow that's amazing! Any tips for LSAT studying?  

Totally depends on your learning style.

I never paid that much attention in classes so I just bought the Power Score books and focussed on them. After going through once I realized Logic Games was my best and Reasoning was my worst so I bought Reasoning again and did a second go of it. Then I only did practice tests. Took about 5-6 weeks total with anywhere from 6-10 hours a day (work/type of studying depending).

Tips:

-  Work smart; it is not necessarily about the amount of time you study but identify your weakness and work on those. As soon as I realized I had Games in the bag, I quickly switched focus knowing practice tests would push me higher on Games.

- Continue a strong social life outside of studying - this really rejuvenated me for the long days. I would study literally anywhere BUT the library. I would only go to library on days I knew I would do multiple full practice tests (with a super social lunch planned in the middle of the tests to de-compress).

Edited by MicheleFitzFan
  • Thanks 1

Hi all, 

I was wondering if anyone took the May LSAT-Flex? It was recently announced that the June and July LSAT will be transitioning to the LSAT-Flex format as the in-person test is cancelled. If anyone is willing to share their experience and/or feedback it will be greatly appreciated! 

Hope more people find this thread! The other one was great, but it is literally 10 years old at this point.

Hi I was wondering about my chances! 3.85 cGPA and 3.95 L2 153 LSAT 

wondering about my chances at UBC UVic UofC and UofA

I have great LRs and ECs but not many ECs or connections to my aboriginal community. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/30/2020 at 1:48 PM, maddie221 said:

Hi I was wondering about my chances! 3.85 cGPA and 3.95 L2 153 LSAT 

wondering about my chances at UBC UVic UofC and UofA

I have great LRs and ECs but not many ECs or connections to my aboriginal community. 

I am curious if you are actually concerned ... very likely you will get in to all schools listed, ESPECIALLY under the indigenous category

Edited by Higuys2020

Posted (edited)

I only applied to UofA because it is the most affordable for me. CGPA and L2 are the same (3.59). LSAT in November. Decent LRs. Served on University judiciary for 2 years, volunteer tutored indigenous bridging students (program that got me in to UNI). Real work experience in criminal justice system. 
Cons for me: basically no real community connection. I am an apple. 

Interested in prosecution and policy making. If I don’t get in, I won’t be devastated. But I do like to hope for the best!

Edited by Higuys2020
Clarification

Posted (edited)

Bumping this post.

Side question:

1. How important are references? 

2. If my cGPA is 3.7, with drops 3.9, L2 3.7 and B2 3.9 (all on OMSAS scale), and my starting point diagnostic LSAT is 153 (taking the LSAT for first time in November, ~3 months away so time for studying LSAT more), and I'm an Indigenous candidate, where might I apply where I can have a reasonable chance? I will note that the 153 is after less than a week of studying for LSAT, just a first diagnostic so I know where I'm beginning from.

Edited by castlepie
Edited to ask additional questions.

If anyone is curious, I compiled all stats and rejections/acceptances for Indigenous applicants. You can view the google spreadsheet here. 

Applicants at all ranges of grades and LSAT scores have gotten into Canadian law schools. If you are an Indigenous applicant and doubting your grades or LSAT score, I hope this will give you the confidence to apply broadly. You are smart enough to get into a law school. 

For reference, I entered U of T law a few years ago with a below median LSAT and cGPA. However, I graduated in the top 10% of my class. The journey to becoming a lawyer is so fulfilling and the first step is simple – just apply!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, CleverPseudonym said:

If anyone is curious, I compiled all stats and rejections/acceptances for Indigenous applicants. You can view the google spreadsheet here. 

Applicants at all ranges of grades and LSAT scores have gotten into Canadian law schools. If you are an Indigenous applicant and doubting your grades or LSAT score, I hope this will give you the confidence to apply broadly. You are smart enough to get into a law school. 

For reference, I entered U of T law a few years ago with a below median LSAT and cGPA. However, I graduated in the top 10% of my class. The journey to becoming a lawyer is so fulfilling and the first step is simple – just apply!

Seriously cool. Thanks for doing the work. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CleverPseudonym said:

Holy crud thank you!!!!!! This is totally what I was looking for. It also gives me hope :')...... wait how are there stats for 2021, apps arent even open yet?

39 minutes ago, castlepie said:

Holy crud thank you!!!!!! This is totally what I was looking for. It also gives me hope :')...... wait how are there stats for 2021, apps arent even open yet?

Good catch! It's been updated to 2020. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/1/2020 at 11:52 AM, Higuys2020 said:

I am curious if you are actually concerned ... very likely you will get in to all schools listed, ESPECIALLY under the indigenous category

I mean, I get it. My GPA is definitely my selling point comparatively but I am worried about my LSAT score (my first diagnostic was actually 153 as well). Hoping for the best!!

Edited by castlepie

23 hours ago, castlepie said:

I mean, I get it. My GPA is definitely my selling point comparatively but I am worried about my LSAT score (my first diagnostic was actually 153 as well). Hoping for the best!!

Thats a pretty good diagnostic btw

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2020 at 10:34 PM, yeezy said:

Thats a pretty good diagnostic btw

Thanks! In a couple of weeks I was able to bring it up to 156, so I'm pretty hopeful.