sman99

Articling Hireback 2020

Weird that Miller Thomson’s numbers aren’t on precedent yet. They did their hireback weeks ago (it was not good).

5 hours ago, easttowest said:

Weird that Miller Thomson’s numbers aren’t on precedent yet. They did their hireback weeks ago (it was not good).

Still no McCarthys either. Anyone know what's up?

Miller Thomson's numbers are up. Hired 6 out of 13 with one hireback in the Vaughan office. 

Does anybody know about other firms that aren't up on PrecedentJD yet? Goodmans and McCarthys, for example, are still missing.

9 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

Does anybody know about other firms that aren't up on PrecedentJD yet? Goodmans and McCarthys, for example, are still missing.

Goodmans was mentioned earlier in the thread. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Barrista said:

Yikes, January 2021 start date is rough

Almost sounds like they are hoping the hirebacks find other jobs before January

Edited by lawstudent20202020

1 hour ago, lawstudent20202020 said:

How does this make sense? $100,000/yr jobs for fresh calls aren’t just like, floating around out there. 

10 minutes ago, easttowest said:

How does this make sense? $100,000/yr jobs for fresh calls aren’t just like, floating around out there. 

I don't know about you but I couldn't afford to be unemployed for half a year waiting for that 100k

1 hour ago, lawstudent20202020 said:

lol. If they didn’t want them they just, you know, wouldn’t hire them back. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, lawstudent20202020 said:

I don't know about you but I couldn't afford to be unemployed for half a year waiting for that 100k

What’s the alternative? The start dates are delayed because of a global pandemic that’s tearing up the economy. 

2 hours ago, healthlaw said:

What’s the alternative? The start dates are delayed because of a global pandemic that’s tearing up the economy. 

Pushing the start date to the fall like the other firms? 

4 hours ago, Barrista said:

Pushing the start date to the fall like the other firms? 

What’s the alternative for the new hire who isn’t being given the option to begin earlier than January 2021 

13 hours ago, healthlaw said:

What’s the alternative for the new hire who isn’t being given the option to begin earlier than January 2021 

I hear you. They’ve put those new articling students in a really tough spot. Maybe if they’re lucky some of the other firms might be interested in picking up some extra articling students. I would imagine that’s very unlikely though.

37 minutes ago, sman99 said:

What happened at Goodmans?

See:

On 5/1/2020 at 10:50 PM, Dart said:

Gowlings hired 7/16 apparently. Goodmans hired 11/14 but gave the other 3 contract positions.

Posted (edited)

Another article for those of us who weren't hired back just got posted by a former Bay Street lawyer about what to do over the summer and how to look for a job in the fall / winter. It's good - brutally honest in parts - but solid advice: [removed]

Edited by Hegdis
Self promotion of personal blog
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Any way to find hireback info for other cities like Ottawa or London?

Edited by lawyerin654