sman99

Articling Hireback 2020

Have any firms hired back? If so, what are the numbers like?

Heard through the grapevine that Torys had 100% hireback

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, grumpy said:

Heard through the grapevine that Torys had 100% hireback

I’ve also heard this. Heard Fasken also announced hireback though I don’t remember the numbers ( think it was roughly 75%). All that said, I’m taking these “news” with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, Lyricaltoast said:

I’ve also heard this. Heard Fasken also announced hireback though I don’t remember the numbers ( think it was roughly 75%). All that said, I’m taking these “news” with a grain of salt.

Heard the Torys and Fasken news from very credible sources within each firm, so I'm pretty confident that they are true.

Vancouver student here: I’ve heard from various students in Vancouver that hirebacks for the May calls at all the big firms over here are mostly complete. Some firms delayed their decisions because of the pandemic. Other firms haven’t made decisions yet (I believe Farris and Miller Thomson students are still awaiting word but I could be mistaken). 

Lowest numbers I’m aware of is one firm only hired back 2/5 and another hired back 4/6. Every where else seems to have hired back above 90%. 

5 hours ago, Lyricaltoast said:

I’d honestly be surprised if Fasken’s numbers were that low. They always have close to 100% unless people opt out (and even then it would still be 100% since opt-outs don’t count towards the percentage)

26 minutes ago, healthlaw said:

I’d honestly be surprised if Fasken’s numbers were that low. They always have close to 100% unless people opt out (and even then it would still be 100% since opt-outs don’t count towards the percentage)

75% doesn't sound unreasonable. Over the past 11 years their hireback has only averaged 82%. Excluding opt-outs from the total students, here are Fasken Toronto's hireback percentages (from PrecedentJD):

2009 72%
2010 81%
2011 100%
2012 60%
2013 47%
2014 78%
2015 100%
2016 82%
2017 100%
2018 83%
2019 100%

41 minutes ago, healthlaw said:

Why do people opt out?

4 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Why do people opt out?

Other opportunities sometimes. Sometimes folks are just tired.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Why do people opt out?

Often not receiving a return offer in a practice group they desire.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Why do people opt out?

I have a friend who received some pressure to opt out from the firm that did not want to extend them an offer.

Edited by Buckmaster

4 hours ago, Dart said:

Heard the Torys and Fasken news from very credible sources within each firm, so I'm pretty confident that they are true.

So assuming Torys did in fact announce a 100% hireback, how much pressure do people think this would put on other Bay Street firms’ hireback numbers? 

6 minutes ago, Lyricaltoast said:

So assuming Torys did in fact announce a 100% hireback, how much pressure do people think this would put on other Bay Street firms’ hireback numbers? 

None.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, joeyman365 said:

75% doesn't sound unreasonable. Over the past 11 years their hireback has only averaged 82%. Excluding opt-outs from the total students, here are Fasken Toronto's hireback percentages (from PrecedentJD):

2009 72%
2010 81%
2011 100%
2012 60%
2013 47%
2014 78%
2015 100%
2016 82%
2017 100%
2018 83%
2019 100%

Interesting. I remember interviewing with them years ago and they mentioned they had 100% hire back rate several years  running (which would have captured the years in this chart). I never actually looked into it though. 

Those are still good figures just not what I assumed 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Why do people opt out?

Other non-law opportunities, poor fit with the firm, no opening in their practice area of choice, move to NY/London and other places to a lesser extent, clerkships... 

10 hours ago, joeyman365 said:

2009 72%
2010 81%
2011 100%
2012 60%
2013 47%
2014 78%
2015 100%
2016 82%
2017 100%
2018 83%
2019 100%

I'd like to know what happened in 2012 and 2013...

• Like 3

Got credible news that Osler hired back 20/24 students. 2 students will be clerking so practically 20/22 students.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Dart said:

Got credible news that Osler hired back 20/24 students. 2 students will be clerking so practically 20/22 students.

Hmm that's interesting if true seeing as they supposedly have a "100%" hire back policy. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Brandcereal said:

Hmm that's interesting if true seeing as they supposedly have a "100%" hire back policy. 

Way to see the bad in a 91% hireback rate, particularly in the current circumstances