BestCaseOntario

Am I the Only One Freaking Out About Starting 1L Online

1 hour ago, Rashabon said:

Nobody other than law students know how to “learn the law”.

I should've been more clear here. I meant this because the course material will be very different from my past coursework. I haven't taken really any reading and writing heavy courses. 

2 minutes ago, HopefulB said:

I should've been more clear here. I meant this because the course material will be very different from my past coursework. I haven't taken really any reading and writing heavy courses. 

It’s not that hard. I studied science in my undergrad. Reading is something anyone can do and legal writing is a specific skill that everyone is taught and nobody comes in knowing how to do.

ever since this semester has gone online, ive done 0 work just out of a complete lack of motivation. i fear that that’ll continue if 1L goes online; instead of having a class to get out of bed to prepare for, ill just be sitting at home telling myself everything can be done tomorrow. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, mistertubby said:

ever since this semester has gone online, ive done 0 work just out of a complete lack of motivation. i fear that that’ll continue if 1L goes online; instead of having a class to get out of bed to prepare for, ill just be sitting at home telling myself everything can be done tomorrow. 

If you can take those courses P/F it may not be such a bad idea

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LawSchoolJock said:

If you can take those courses P/F it may not be such a bad idea

at the same time that would be such a humongous waste of 1L 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, JK56711 said:

I am in full panic mode. Trying to finish my MA at while at my parents house is already awful enough. I cannot imagine doing the same in law school. If they do end up going online, I pray the keep Pass/fail grade system.  This would destroy my ability to learn

I feel like there would be a much wider backlash from non-law students if they decide to start online. But given that we're steadily flattening the curve, I'm confident that classes should re-open normally by September. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Astro said:

I feel like there would be a much wider backlash from non-law students if they decide to start online. But given that we're steadily flattening the curve, I'm confident that classes should re-open normally by September. 

We may flatten the curve, but that doesn't mean the virus won't activate a second wave once we've started to lift physical distancing restrictions. We may have to take a graduated approach to resuming normal life until a vaccine is found. 

Edited by capitalttruth
  • Like 4

there's no definite answer as to whether things will move remotely for 1st semester next year. Everything is changing by the minute, so just wait until June / July to actually find out. 

• Like 1

Would current and incoming students prefer to have the upcoming September semester postponed or have online classes until Covid-19 restrictions have been lifted?

Please, actual law students in this forum feel free to correct me with actual knowledge of the issue, but here is my question:

Wouldn't the case of re-opening schools actually lie in the hands of the provincial governments instead of the federal? Since healthcare and education are both provincial powers then it would be in the power of provincial governments to set COVID policy for school closures in fall. In Québec, the provincial government has repeatedly signal that schools are an important step in re-opening the economy, with a lot of signalling pointing towards earlier rather than later. 

Yes, the government may open only primary and secondary school and keep universities and CEGEPs closed. This would allow for a targeted approach in "un-pausing" the province. I.e. only open institutions that allow essential workers to go back to work (as in both primary and secondary schools fulfills a childkeeping objective, while students in Universities and CEGEPs can usually tend for themselves), but I don't see this necessarily happening because of previous signalling. 

The federal government could:

• Limit inter-provincial travel, but it seems unlikely considering inter provincial travel is a constitutional right and moving cities to go to school could fall under "essential travels". Plus, provincial boundaries have mainly been put in place by provincial governments up to now
  • Limit international travel and block international students: some international travel restrictions may still be in place come fall. However, I can imagine exceptions for international students with the appropriate visas to be allowed in after an imposed quarantine similar to the travel restrictions already in place. 

The federal government could do some funky stuff by declaring emergency measures, but unless we get hit by second or third waves, I do not see this happening.

TL;DR - Provincial governments and not the federal government may have the biggest word to say on if you are doing classes on-line or in person, so follow the news  and the signalling corresponding to the province you will be going to. As for Québec, I do not think schools will be closed until September, and we are the hardest hit. However, full disclaimer, I do not know anything about the law (yet) so take this with a grain of salt. 

On 4/12/2020 at 6:51 PM, Maradona said:

there's no definite answer as to whether things will move remotely for 1st semester next year. Everything is changing by the minute, so just wait until June / July to actually find out. 

True enough, but it's very hard to plan for a move, secure a place, give notice on my current one without the schools telling us before July. I understand they're living in an unknown too, but I would hate not to be able to go in mid-August (when my classes begin) because my school waited till late July to make the decision (which I suspect they will). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YesNoToaster said:

Please, actual law students in this forum feel free to correct me with actual knowledge of the issue, but here is my question:

Wouldn't the case of re-opening schools actually lie in the hands of the provincial governments instead of the federal? Since healthcare and education are both provincial powers then it would be in the power of provincial governments to set COVID policy for school closures in fall. In Québec, the provincial government has repeatedly signal that schools are an important step in re-opening the economy, with a lot of signalling pointing towards earlier rather than later. 

Yes, the government may open only primary and secondary school and keep universities and CEGEPs closed. This would allow for a targeted approach in "un-pausing" the province. I.e. only open institutions that allow essential workers to go back to work (as in both primary and secondary schools fulfills a childkeeping objective, while students in Universities and CEGEPs can usually tend for themselves), but I don't see this necessarily happening because of previous signalling. 

The federal government could:

• Limit inter-provincial travel, but it seems unlikely considering inter provincial travel is a constitutional right and moving cities to go to school could fall under "essential travels". Plus, provincial boundaries have mainly been put in place by provincial governments up to now
  • Limit international travel and block international students: some international travel restrictions may still be in place come fall. However, I can imagine exceptions for international students with the appropriate visas to be allowed in after an imposed quarantine similar to the travel restrictions already in place. 

The federal government could do some funky stuff by declaring emergency measures, but unless we get hit by second or third waves, I do not see this happening.

TL;DR - Provincial governments and not the federal government may have the biggest word to say on if you are doing classes on-line or in person, so follow the news  and the signalling corresponding to the province you will be going to. As for Québec, I do not think schools will be closed until September, and we are the hardest hit. However, full disclaimer, I do not know anything about the law (yet) so take this with a grain of salt. 

Healthcare isn't listed. Health is a shared power. But yes, the decision to open schools would be a provincial decision, subject to the federal government using its emergency powers, which seems unlikely. I wouldn't count on Quebec reopening schools if no one else does, regardless of the division of powers.

• Like 2

On 4/14/2020 at 11:34 AM, Zongo said:

Would current and incoming students prefer to have the upcoming September semester postponed or have online classes until Covid-19 restrictions have been lifted?

Honestly I would rather see it postponed, but I highly doubt this will happen. Most likely I see semester one being put online and they will wait and see about semester two.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BestCaseOntario said:

they will wait and see about semester two

If they make semester 2 online as well, then 1L is practically a P/F. 

IDK if that is a curse or a boon. 

7 minutes ago, robobrain said:

If they make semester 2 online as well, then 1L is practically a P/F. 

IDK if that is a curse or a boon. 

I'm not sure if I understand you, but if classes are online that doesn't mean that they will necessarily be pass/fail.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ProfReader said:

that doesn't mean that they will necessarily be pass/fail

If the classes are online, that implies online exams, you can't seriously grade online exams that were administered remotely without a P/F. Of course, I don't know for sure. I am making a guess based on how they are grading the online classes currently

8 minutes ago, robobrain said:

If the classes are online, that implies online exams, you can't seriously grade online exams that were administered remotely without a P/F. Of course, I don't know for sure. I am making a guess based on how they are grading the online classes currently

I don't believe this is universally true. Even before COVID one of my final exams for 1L was meant to be online anyways, and at midterms in December I had 2 online exams. McGill has done online finals/midterms before COVID and it has not seemed to cause problems. I think it is absolutely possible to have online exams with grades. Furthermore, the summer semester at the Law Faculty is continuing remotely and will presumably also have online exams, and the Faculty has made it very clear that P/F will not apply to summer courses. 

• Like 1