Sign in to follow this  
Cookies20000

people at mandatory p/f schools: how hard are you studying?

15 hours ago, Twenty said:

No, fortunately? Theoretically, I just think a multiple choice final exam in law school would stress me out so much. Has this been the case in your experience? 

I never had a multiple choice exam in law school. I actually never new that law schools assessed in this way until I saw people posting here through the years that their schools did it. It surprised (amazed) me but there are a few schools across the country who have always done this with some courses.

uOttawa has one professor who is known for his multiple choice exams. They're very difficult, but the curve saves everyone. You'd get a pass if you got around 30% of the questions correct.

26 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

I never had a multiple choice exam in law school. I actually never new that law schools assessed in this way until I saw people posting here through the years that their schools did it. It surprised (amazed) me but there are a few schools across the country who have always done this with some courses.

From my limited experience writing law school exams, I think written response, fact pattern-based exams are really great for issue spotting, distinguishing between case law, talking bout policy considerations if applicable, and applying statutes and holdings. I am also weird in the sense that I think Legal Research and Writing memos (if done correctly) would also be an excellent way of testing these things. 

A MC exam would just seem "superficial" to me. If it's a closed-book "know the rules" type of exam, it would seem very surface level and procedural. I won't say it would be "easy". In fact, I think studying for the MC exam would be very tedious and hard. While I can see how an MC exam can possibly have more breadth than a written exam (e.g. 30 MC questions as opposed to 3 fact patterns), it does miss out on important nuances. Alternatively, if the MC exam isn't a procedural based exam, then I would be extremely stressed because aspects of the law can be so ambiguous/debatable that trying to fit that into a MC format would be a gong-show. 

What are your thoughts @chaboywb?

I recall having one or two exams that had short MC sections in them, but the majority of the exams were traditional fact patterns or short essays). 

Almost all Full-MC exams are pure laziness, IMO. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

I recall having one or two exams that had short MC sections in them, but the majority of the exams were traditional fact patterns or short essays). 

Almost all Full-MC exams are pure laziness, IMO. 

Laziness by whom? 

A good MC exam is FAR harder to write than a typical law school exam.

If you’re talking about students, then absolutely. That’s why I love MC so much, I don’t want to write for three hours straight. Also, I’m very good at them!

Edited by easttowest

The only MC exam I've had in law school was a 1L real property exam, which seems to me like the subject that would most suit the MC format. Questions like "what is a feoffment" or "O to A for life then to B, what interest does B have" only have one answer.

I've had a few MC pop quiz style exams in LS. Nothing as simple as a-d though. It was like a-g with stupid answers like a, b, c, a+b, a+c, d, a+b+d, all of the above, none of the above. 🙄All were like 15 minute quizzes that we graded together.

The (now) Dean also had 5 minute civil code fact-pattern style quizzes citing the correct codal provision...

i was considering pushing myself on the off chance that i could somehow get an academic award, but our school has given us zero information on that and even if they had, my chances would be too slim anyway, so it's just not enough of a motivator. 

though, i must admit that some mild worry is setting in given that i haven't finished my summaries for 4/6 courses and exams are starting on the 13th. meh, should be fine.

Optional pass fail with mostly 48 hour take homes. Not studying at all, just figure it out once I get the exam. So far so good I think for average ish grades

To be fair with pass/fail, I hardly see the point in having anything rigorous. The only people I knew that failed law school courses were (a) someone who partied and never went to class and (b) an access student that was in way over her head. 

I am basically studying normally, which is quite rigorous. It’s a good distraction from the current situation, and my school has been pretty unclear about how academic awards will be determined. I’m in line to get distinction, and so I don’t want to throw that away on an uninformed assumption that this semester won’t count. 

18 hours ago, BigScienceCertificate said:

I am basically studying normally, which is quite rigorous. It’s a good distraction from the current situation, and my school has been pretty unclear about how academic awards will be determined. I’m in line to get distinction, and so I don’t want to throw that away on an uninformed assumption that this semester won’t count. 

how do you plan on getting distinction with pass fail 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Currently doing the absolute minimum. This time in first semester, I was writing practice exams and hustling. Now, I'm pretending that my last legal process exam doesn't exist until a few days before it happens. After it was confirmed that the P/F semester won't count for distinction and after acknowledging I definitely won't be getting a course prize, it's been quite stress free. I do feel guilty for studying so little, but I think it's because I'm used to feeling like I should be studying a ton during normal circumstances and not because I'm actually letting go of some opportunity at this point. 

• Like 3