4 minutes ago, albertabean said:

Have you even been to Calgary? I can see the mountains from my house, my Dad can see them from his office, I can see them on most of the thoroughfares. There visible in many places throughout the city. 

Weird flex to post one picture from an eastwards angle of the city when the mountains are westwards. The mountains are literally *behind* this camera. 

Yes, I have. It was a joke :rolleyes:

• Like 1

This thread has taken a weird and pointless turn, but in case anyone actually cares about this minor geographical issue: As someone who has recently moved from Southern Alberta to Victoria, I definitely agree that Victoria is not "in the mountains". Mountain recreation is indeed more easily accessible from Calgary. You can see many majestic mountains from Victoria... and all of them are in Washington State. You have to drive a long way before you can get to the kind of spacious, quiet nature that is available less than an hour's drive from U of C. It's still very beautiful here, of course, if you like this sort of climate. Just definitely not "in the mountains".

-GM

• Like 1

No brainer, UVic. Ryerson grads are most likely going to have a rough time with employers down the road. UVic has a great reputation and strong alumni base. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 10:10 AM, GrumpyMountie said:

This thread has taken a weird and pointless turn, but in case anyone actually cares about this minor geographical issue: As someone who has recently moved from Southern Alberta to Victoria, I definitely agree that Victoria is not "in the mountains". Mountain recreation is indeed more easily accessible from Calgary. You can see many majestic mountains from Victoria... and all of them are in Washington State. You have to drive a long way before you can get to the kind of spacious, quiet nature that is available less than an hour's drive from U of C. It's still very beautiful here, of course, if you like this sort of climate. Just definitely not "in the mountains".

-GM

I would argue you just have to look farther. You can take a city bus to the top of "Mount Tolmie" (or walk easily from UVic), and it might not be a mountain but you will get a great view of the city. If anyone does go to UVic, there is a 1L class in the first 2 weeks where you hike up the other "mount" and see the view of the surrounding area. If you like actual mountains for climbing, then you do have to drive, but there are some nice hikes farther up the island. 

1 hour ago, cheesy said:

I would argue you just have to look farther

Well, to be fair; that's exactly what I said, isn't it?

I'm a big fan of up-island; my point was that it's more of a slog to get to great natural areas from Victoria than it is from Calgary - not that you couldn't get to them at all. After all, this is the "school comparisons" sub-forum.

I do enjoy both the mountains you mention, but they are no higher than, say, Mount Royal. If that's the bar we're setting, then McGill is clearly the best law school for the "mountain lifestyle"! ;)

Just trying to offer some perspective for posters/readers who automatically think "BC = Surrounded by huge, glorious, mountains to enjoy".

- GM

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, GrumpyMountie said:

I'm a big fan of up-island; my point was that it's more of a slog to get to great natural areas from Victoria than it is from Calgary - not that you couldn't get to them at all. After all, this is the "school comparisons" sub-forum.

I do enjoy both the mountains you mention, but they are no higher than, say, Mount Royal. If that's the bar we're setting, then McGill is clearly the best law school for the "mountain lifestyle"! ;)

Just trying to offer some perspective for posters/readers who automatically think "BC = Surrounded by huge, glorious, mountains to enjoy".

- GM

Bear mountain+ mount finlayson is like a 25 min drive, its fuckin fantastic out there. Its literally not a "slog" at all to get to "natural" areas from

Victoria. Anywhere just outside of Langford, Mechosen, Sooke, highlands. Head up the malahat 5 mins and its natural and rural af. 

• Like 1

I do enjoy both the mountains you mention, but they are no higher than, say, Mount Royal.

Lol. Even mcgillians don't consider that a mountain. Shame on you Victorians.

- GM

I mean this to me is far weirder than saying Calgary has no mountains. I mean, seriously, you don't consider the Pacific Ocean a "great natural area"??? 

Calgary is a flat barren wasteland with a view of a beautiful mountain range. Victoria is a beautiful ocean harbor with a view of a beautiful mountain range. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mal said:

I mean this to me is far weirder than saying Calgary has no mountains. I mean, seriously, you don't consider the Pacific Ocean a "great natural area"???

Mal, that's fair, but keep in mind that the original discussion was about "living in the mountains". Of course Victoria is beautiful, which I acknowledged all along. That is, essentially, why I moved here. But my original quote that everyone seems to disagree with is:

On 8/16/2020 at 10:10 AM, GrumpyMountie said:

Mountain recreation is indeed more easily accessible from Calgary. You can see many majestic mountains from Victoria... and all of them are in Washington State. You have to drive a long way before you can get to the kind of spacious, quiet nature that is available less than an hour's drive from U of C. It's still very beautiful here, of course, if you like this sort of climate. Just definitely not "in the mountains".

Anyway, it seems I am alone in this conclusion - but I stand by it!

6 hours ago, AJD19 said:

Bear mountain+ mount finlayson is like a 25 min drive, its fuckin fantastic out there.

Mount Finlayson is beautiful, and you're right, it can be only 25 minutes if you avoid rush hour. But it's an absolute zoo in terms of people, trail completely overrun, at least on the weekends. Very difficult to find parking, and I don't believe you can take a bus there - do correct me if I'm wrong. Again, this is in comparison to areas that are easily accessible to Calgary, which are much bigger and varied, and where you may well be the only person on a legit mountain trail.

To me, the closest, big mountain that isn't overrun by people is Mt Tzouhalem, and I can't imagine getting there from UVic in less than an hour. I guess if you caught all the green lights, and there was no congestion at all on the Malahat, it's possible you might get there in 59 minutes. But the number of amazing places you can get to from U of C in that time is much bigger.

5 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Lol. Even mcgillians don't consider that a mountain. Shame on you Victorians.

Dude. I'm from Montreal and literally every single person I know calls it "The Mountain". What do you call it? ;)

TL;DR - GrumpyMountie concedes that Victoria, including the Salish Sea, is beautiful - as if that was ever in dispute. However, he strenuosuly maintains that "life in the mountains" is more easily enjoyed from Calgary than from Victoria! Neither city is actually "in" the mountains, but big, spacious, mountain areas are more accessible from YYC.

-GM

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GrumpyMountie said:

Dude. I'm from Montreal and literally every single person I know calls it "The Mountain". What do you call it? ;)

Most people are being glib when they call it that. The real mountains are to the north, north east and south east:) . Even those aren't anywhere near "mountains" when compared to the west. But the hikes can still be gorgeous. 

Here in toronto I've learned I can somewhat keep up my hiking by climbing my building's stairs. That glass Mountain (see the capital?) is a great trainer for mountains 😛

Edited by pzabbythesecond
  • Haha 1