Jump to content
AlwaysHopeful

Rejected McGill 2020

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Refused today

3.89 GPA, US applicant

Mature Applicant - Business Owner the past 8 years

No LSAT

French interview back in January

Edited by AlwaysHopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks for starting the thread and Sorry to hear. Your GPA is great, will you be taking the LSAT and trying again next cycle? 

Edited by herpsderps123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

4.0/4.3 no LSAT, refused today, what I thought were strong LOR's and a strong PS. So disappointed in myself I couldn't even make it on the waitlist

Edited by HumanCalculator
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HumanCalculator said:

4.0/4.3 no LSAT, refused today, what I thought were strong LOR's and a strong PS. So disappointed in myself I couldn't even make it on the waitlist

Sorry to hear that😔. I was also in the same situation as you (strong LORs, PS, CV, etc.) but I got refused a while ago after my interview. However, don't put yourself down because of a decision from something as arbitrary as an admissions committee! You know your own worth as a person😄! Do you have a good second choice? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JudgeMehmedII said:

Sorry to hear that😔. I was also in the same situation as you (strong LORs, PS, CV, etc.) but I got refused a while ago after my interview. However, don't put yourself down because of a decision from something as arbitrary as an admissions committee! You know your own worth as a person😄! Do you have a good second choice? 

The reason I'm most disappointed is because I guess due to poor planning I didn't apply anywhere else so as of right now I have 0 plans for the Fall. I posted in the civil forums, but I don't think I can apply anywhere for the fall at this point. No idea what's next for me but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Hard to accept that the earliest I can possibly be in law school is almost 2 years from now 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HumanCalculator said:

The reason I'm most disappointed is because I guess due to poor planning I didn't apply anywhere else so as of right now I have 0 plans for the Fall. I posted in the civil forums, but I don't think I can apply anywhere for the fall at this point. No idea what's next for me but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Hard to accept that the earliest I can possibly be in law school is almost 2 years from now 

That must really suck😔. Considering on what you should do, I just answered you on the civil law forum, go look:). I'd be happy to talk more if you want to . Stay safe!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2020 at 7:17 PM, HumanCalculator said:

The reason I'm most disappointed is because I guess due to poor planning I didn't apply anywhere else so as of right now I have 0 plans for the Fall. I posted in the civil forums, but I don't think I can apply anywhere for the fall at this point. No idea what's next for me but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Hard to accept that the earliest I can possibly be in law school is almost 2 years from now 

This is better than "worming in" like I did. Continue in science, more rewarding. Or take the LSAT and apply to better schools, if you really want law. You can do it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Groucho said:

This is better than "worming in" like I did. Continue in science, more rewarding. Or take the LSAT and apply to better schools, if you really want law. You can do it!

dawg just come out with the confessional already

we can extract an industry worth of resentment from your posts

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Groucho said:

This is better than "worming in" like I did. Continue in science, more rewarding. Or take the LSAT and apply to better schools, if you really want law. You can do it!

 

7 minutes ago, lolschool said:

dawg just come out with the confessional already

we can extract an industry worth of resentment from your posts

hard agree with @lolschool. deal with it and move on, stop giving terrible advice to everyone.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goodvibes123 said:

Refused today

cGPA: 3.98, L2: 4.0 

LSAT: 154

strong EC's + research experience

Sorry to hear. :(

If you can, I'd really try rewriting the LSAT - if you can hit 160, or at least the high 150s you'd basically be a lock for UOttawa + a few other schools. Your CGPA is really good.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2020 at 11:48 AM, changeofplans said:

 

hard agree with @lolschool. deal with it and move on, stop giving terrible advice to everyone.

McGill Law's application process is a black box, there is no denying that. But I should make this clear: it is still a great school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Refused
No LSAT

CGPA: 3.75/4.00 McGill BA
Disappointing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, herpsderps123 said:

Sorry to hear guys... 

 

did the email say why you weren’t admitted? 

Not the email, but on the letter attached to Minerva it explains why--for me it was because I'm still in my third-year of my honours 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, goodvibes123 said:

Not the email, but on the letter attached to Minerva it explains why--for me it was because I'm still in my third-year of my honours 

So the letters are personalized, then. Thanks!  You should definitely try again next year, your gpa is great!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, my refusal letter was very generic, gave no feedback other than they opted for stronger candidacies, I also reached out to the admissions office and they said they would not give personal feedback on applications. I understand but it sucks being left with giant question marks on my application's weaknesses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, HumanCalculator said:

For what it's worth, my refusal letter was very generic, gave no feedback other than they opted for stronger candidacies, I also reached out to the admissions office and they said they would not give personal feedback on applications. I understand but it sucks being left with giant question marks on my application's weaknesses. 

Don't be too hard on yourself. McGill is a black box process - that's not a bad thing per se, but it does mean sometimes you're going to get results without really knowing why they happened. Your GPA is stellar and that's the hardest part, quite honestly. You can write/rewrite the LSAT, but you can't really easily ever re-do your undergrad.

Edited by BeltOfScotch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 3:04 AM, BeltOfScotch said:

Don't be too hard on yourself. McGill is a black box process - that's not a bad thing per se, but it does mean sometimes you're going to get results without really knowing why they happened. Your GPA is stellar and that's the hardest part, quite honestly. You can write/rewrite the LSAT, but you can't really easily ever re-do your undergrad.

Agree a lot with this. Without commenting on the strength of OP's GPA, I agree that a solid (undergrad) GPA is the hardest part as it serves as a foundation and can't be re-done as mentioned. McGill's holistic process really makes the other factors very hard to nail down, but my piece of (unsolicited) advice is that many candidates think they have strong LOR or EC, but are in fact very common or run-of-the-mill (again, not a slight at all towards OP). To compensate, having a consistent or coherent theme that threads through the personal statement, through work/volunteer experience and if possible, academics, helps a lot. And of course, a PS should also be thorough (why McGill, why law, why you), personalized and authentic, in addition to being coherent with everything else. I recognize this is very hard to do  in less than 500 words, but it becomes even more important when one's GPA is not eye-opening. Finally, emphasize to references to avoid summarizing the applicant's CV or experiences, and instead comment on the person's skills and importantly, compare the applicant's skills to what the professor has seen before in previous students. 

TLDR: Most people have average LOR or EC when applying. A coherent application with parts that fit with each other - from PS to EC to experiences - can help make an applications standout.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Recent Posts

    • Maybe in the future things will change, but at the moment no law is applicable to this currency, and any other cryptocurrency in general. Law is a great specialty overall, so it's a great choice, but its connection with cryptocurrencies is questionable. On the other hand, the blockchain technology is going to expand in the future, so maybe a specialty related to security or online transactions can be useful. I think trading, in general, it's a remunerative activity because I've been performing eos canada transactions for a while, and it's a real source of income. As for me, it's your choice, but its lucrativeness in the future is doubtable.  
    • I would think they would just reject/accept or waitlist people at this point. I understand that they are holistic, but this is a bit ridiculous. I almost want to move on with life and be pleasantly surprised if they accept me, but I’m really running out of distractions thanks to all of this free time.   
    • Hey, I'm interested in the Loophole if you still have it! PM me if you do  
    • Hey, I'm interested in the Loophole book if you still have it! PM me if you do
    • Hey, I'm interested if you still have it! PM me if you do :) 

×
×
  • Create New...