HuggyBear

Admissions e-mail sent in error..

Just received this e-mail from Ryerson:

Hello HuggyBear,

We have just discovered that you were sent in error an email regarding admission.  At this time a decision has not been made on your application.Please accept my sincere apologies for the confusion.  

We will continue to issue decisions after the April 1 confirmation deadline.  Those will be sent to your RAMSS Communications as well as OLSAS for offers of admission.

Best regards,
"Admissions staff name"

I would have declined the offer regardless, but what a joke.. I understand that a lot is going on right now, but you're trying to make a name for yourself in a tough market, and in direct competition with both Osgoode and Toronto. How do you let this kind of thing happen? I sincerely hope that I am the only one this happened to, and that it doesn't happen to anyone still waiting for their first offer of admission at any school.
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, HuggyBear said:

Hello HuggyBear,

We have just discovered that you were sent in error an email regarding admission.  At this time a decision has not been made on your application.Please accept my sincere apologies for the confusion.  

We will continue to issue decisions after the April 1 confirmation deadline.  Those will be sent to your RAMSS Communications as well as OLSAS for offers of admission.

Best regards,
"Admissions staff name"

I would have declined the offer regardless, but what a joke.. I understand that a lot is going on right now, but you're trying to make a name for yourself in a tough market, and in direct competition with both Osgoode and Toronto. How do you let this kind of thing happen? I sincerely hope that I am the only one this happened to, and that it doesn't happen to anyone still waiting for their first offer of admission at any school.

So... U Ottawa had to increase their class size after erroneously accepting students. It's still a respected institution. 

Perhaps running to the Internet after Ryerson's seemingly honest mistake that they are looking to rectify is more reflective of you than the school.

• Like 12

Didn't Western accidentally offer an entire admission round of students like $10,000 in scholarship money a month or two ago? It's technology. Accidents happen. Definitely a bummer for anyone who has their offer rescinded, though. 

• Like 7

It happened to me as well! I received it days ago, and the only reason I got the news that it was a mistake after I emailed them first, asking for my offer to appear on OLSAS so i could provisionally accept the offer by the deadline of april first. I wrote an angry email back and all i received was “i recognize how difficult this is. procedures are now in place so that it doesn’t happen again”

I agree with OP. how do they expect a short email like that with limited apology to be enough?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, megla said:

Didn't Western accidentally offer an entire admission round of students like $10,000 in scholarship money a month or two ago? It's technology. Accidents happen. Definitely a bummer for anyone who has their offer rescinded, though. 

Yes, but in response to their mistake, they offered all those they accidentally sent the email to $2k in scholarship money. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, artsydork said:

So... U Ottawa had to increase their class size after erroneously accepting students. It's still a respected institution. 

Perhaps running to the Internet after Ryerson's seemingly honest mistake that they are looking to rectify is more reflective of you than the school.

The difference between that and this is that Ottawa kept them as acceptances, as opposed to Ryerson saying “nevermind, you’re not actually in”

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, emarie98 said:

It happened to me as well! I received it days ago, and the only reason I got the news that it was a mistake after I emailed them first, asking for my offer to appear on OLSAS so i could provisionally accept the offer by the deadline of april first. I wrote an angry email back and all i received was “i recognize how difficult this is. procedures are now in place so that it doesn’t happen again”

I agree with OP. how do they expect a short email like that with limited apology to be enough?

Yea this happened to me too! And again i only got an e mail saying it was a mistake because i e mailed them about the same thing too! 

Like it was all so short and tbh at least Ottawa and Western figured it out and least worked with students to figure it out. Not just this whoops our bad situation. 

• Like 1

People (students and lawyers) made a stink when Ottawa kept the "Oopsie" acceptances. Now people are making a stink because the same situation is happening and, rather than opening their class even wider, are telling people that the email was an error and they will respond accordingly.  The only official acceptance comes when the school sends the official offer anyways.

I get that y'all were excited (except Huggy who, admittedly, was going to decline anyways) and it stings to lose something that was taken away. Unfortunately, it wasn't yours to begin with so it has to go back to its shelf.

What do you propose? All y'all Karens seriously think you either deserve acceptance or scholarship money because of an accidental email!? 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, artsydork said:

People (students and lawyers) made a stink when Ottawa kept the "Oopsie" acceptances. Now people are making a stink because the same situation is happening and, rather than opening their class even wider, are telling people that the email was an error and they will respond accordingly.  The only official acceptance comes when the school sends the official offer anyways.

I get that y'all were excited (except Huggy who, admittedly, was going to decline anyways) and it stings to lose something that was taken away. Unfortunately, it wasn't yours to begin with so it has to go back to its shelf.

What do you propose? All y'all Karens seriously think you either deserve acceptance or scholarship money because of an accidental email!? 

Especially when every single lawyer has sent the oopsie email and asked the other side to kindly delete.  Forbearance and discretion is the name of the game. 

• Like 3

People send erroneous emails all the time. You are in for a rude awakening if you think this can be avoided. If, as a summer student/articling student/junior lawyer you send a mistaken email or commit some other error of human nature, hopefully the recipient doesn't say "what a joke...you're trying to make a name for yourself in a tough market...How do you let this kind of thing happen?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, artsydork said:

I can't speak on anyone else's behalf. I don't necessarily believe that I deserve to be admitted to Ryerson. I do think my stats make me fairly competitive based on what I had been seeing in the accepted thread, but who knows what Ryerson is actually looking at. Had I been rejected, I would have completely understood. That is not what happened. When you receive what the admissions staff member told me was a Dean's welcome only which, in its opening lines, says "congratulations on your offer of admission", there is no reason to think that you have not been accepted. Computer systems can be slow to update -- lord knows OLSAS is -- and can be subject to bugs (evidently). 

I told people I now have to untell. I have offers out of province I might have declined had I been seriously considering Ryerson. Multiply the feelings that come with that by a factor of 10 for those who actually wanted to go. By 100 for those who may not have had other offers.

As far as what I think Ryerson should do about it? I understand the arguments both ways. My post was not intended to be about "YOU HAVE TO HONOR YOUR EMAIL". I do not want to go to Ryerson. In the end, I come back to the fact that this just should not have happened. It's happened before at Ottawa, it's happened at UoT (though not for law) and I'm sure it's happened before elsewhere. I just feel as though they knew, or should have known, it could happen and should have been more diligent in making sure it didn't. This is a school in close proximity to two of the best law schools in the country, with everything still to prove. Mistakes like this don't make me think more highly of Ryerson as a law school.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, ProfReader said:

People send erroneous emails all the time. You are in for a rude awakening if you think this can be avoided. If, as a summer student/articling student/junior lawyer you send a mistaken email or commit some other error of human nature, hopefully the recipient doesn't say "what a joke...you're trying to make a name for yourself in a tough market...How do you let this kind of thing happen?"

I understand what you're saying. I forget attachments all the time, even when I've literally said in the e-mail that it's attached. However, human error is not what they are saying this was. This was a bug in their code, and quite frankly one that probably should have been caught when they were testing their software. One of their interview questions asked about coding in courses. Do you think they teach coding in CompSci programs without teaching how to debug? Maybe I was a bit harsh in my choice of words. It's also human to get carried away when experiencing strong emotions. Doesn't change the fact that this really shouldn't have happened.

• Like 1

When were these "acceptance" emails sent and what did they say? I received my offer of admission last Thursday on RAMSS (did not get any email), and provided Firm Acceptance on OLSAS on Friday. Now I'm nervous that my offer was one of the ones sent in error... Were you guys able to see any offer on RAMSS?? 

2 minutes ago, justice21122 said:

When were these "acceptance" emails sent and what did they say? I received my offer of admission last Thursday on RAMSS (did not get any email), and provided Firm Acceptance on OLSAS on Friday. Now I'm nervous that my offer was one of the ones sent in error... Were you guys able to see any offer on RAMSS?? 

If your communication was provided on RAMSS you are definitely okay! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ProfReader said:

Yes these things happen all the time... so what? If I sent an erroneous email, I would expect to receive criticism.

Criticism is healthy in circumstances like this. Hopefully Ryerson will be more diligent in the future. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I think your frustration and disappointment are entirely valid. I, too, would be very very bummed if I received an official email of acceptance and it turned out to be an error. Sending an official admission email by mistake is definitely NOT the same as forgetting an attachment. These admission emails hold a lot of value for students and bring a much awaited end to a agonizing wait (in most cases).

However, I feel it is unproductive to put the blame on the school; mistakes happen and it's very unfortunate that it happened to you. Right now focus on acknowledging your feelings, take a few days to work through them and then get on with your life. Holding grudges doesn't help anyone (ever).

Edited by changeofplans
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Applicant2019 said:

Yes these things happen all the time... so what? If I sent an erroneous email, I would expect to receive criticism.

Criticism is healthy in circumstances like this. Hopefully Ryerson will be more diligent in the future. 

If that's how people talk to you when you send a mistaken email, then perhaps you are surrounding yourself with the wrong people. The wording that was used was not "healthy" criticism.

Edited by ProfReader
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HuggyBear said:

Hello HuggyBear,

Best regards,
"Admissions staff name"

We can only hope that their coding bootcamp students have more sensitivity training than the those who sent out the email. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2020 at 5:07 PM, HuggyBear said:

I understand what you're saying. I forget attachments all the time, even when I've literally said in the e-mail that it's attached. However, human error is not what they are saying this was. This was a bug in their code, and quite frankly one that probably should have been caught when they were testing their software. One of their interview questions asked about coding in courses. Do you think they teach coding in CompSci programs without teaching how to debug? Maybe I was a bit harsh in my choice of words. It's also human to get carried away when experiencing strong emotions. Doesn't change the fact that this really shouldn't have happened.

hi

got no dog in this fight or anything but the subject matter caught my attention, so this is just an FYI sorta:

i'm coming from a software background and your reluctance to treat this as being an understandable, human error because the root cause might be a software bug is kind of suspect logic (imo, sorry!)

despite those debugging courses, and despite even rigorous bug testing in the development process (fantastical case, very seldom the reality in my experience working in a variety of orgs. and domains), it is an inevitability that bugs slip through the cracks, and the more obscure they are the easier they slip, and sometimes they are found in a closed-source library that you've imported, etc.

so really, as far as the end-user goes, he or she may have done some innocent thing and triggered a very obscure bug resulting in the erroneous email

(okay sure, kind of a convenient scenario but still very possible)

best of luck and i hope it gets resolved in your favour!

imma peace out nowwwwwww 😬

edit: don't get me wrong, i'd be so upset if i got this email lol... but i mean antagonizing the institution you're trying to join seems like a bad way to go either way

Edited by lolschool
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2020 at 2:43 PM, artsydork said:

That's not what happened at Ottawa. The school failed to review 600 applications before filling the class. After they realized what happened, they reviewed the missed applications and admitted those students who they likely would have accepted before. 

The real issue is that they kept the inflated class size, but money is money I suppose

Edited by easttowest