Yeezus

1L Grade Advice

My current grades are: A-, B+, B+, B+, B+, B, B, B+

Will I have trouble getting a job in 2L?

6 minutes ago, Yeezus said:

My current grades are: A-, B+, B+, B+, B+, B, B, B+

Will I have trouble getting a job in 2L?

Ottawa?

The current job situation is affected by the  Covid-19. Hard to tell how this will impact current and next year's employment prospect..

You have around B+ average. which is pretty good..   

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

How do you have 8 first semester grades?

UOttawa! Torts, property, dispute resolution, criminal law, contracts, legal foundations, public and constitutional law, and our thematic.

Edited by Yeezus

I mean, you need to be more specific as to where you're looking for a job at. What type of job are you looking for? For Bay, likely competitive but by no means at the top of the list. For firms outside of Toronto you're likely competitive but these firms don't praise grades as much as Bay. For Crown, you're likely not super competitive. 

Getting a job isn’t the same as getting OCIs. You’ll land some OCIs but doesn’t mean you’ll get a job.

• Like 1

The good news is that you'll almost certainly find an articling position, provided that you also have decent social skills. 

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, LeoandCharlie said:

I mean, you need to be more specific as to where you're looking for a job at. What type of job are you looking for? For Bay, likely competitive but by no means at the top of the list. For firms outside of Toronto you're likely competitive but these firms don't praise grades as much as Bay. For Crown, you're likely not super competitive. 

Edited by Yeezus

10 minutes ago, LeoandCharlie said:

Interested in your take on competitiveness for Crown jobs. The anecdotal evidence I've heard would position Crown jobs as less competitive than Bay, with the exception of the Criminal Appeals branch.

12 minutes ago, WiltedGlory said:

Interested in your take on competitiveness for Crown jobs. The anecdotal evidence I've heard would position Crown jobs as less competitive than Bay, with the exception of the Criminal Appeals branch.

Many Crown students I know went on to clerk at the SCC and other appellate-level courts and had high B+/A averages in law school. The interview process is also quite substantive and rigorous. Bay Street jobs are definitely not more competitive to land than a Crown job.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

Many Crown students I know went on to clerk at the SCC and other appellate-level courts and had high B+/A averages in law school. The interview process is also quite substantive and rigorous. Bay Street jobs are definitely not more competitive to land than a Crown job.

Yeah, I definitely agree that the Crown interview process is more substantive and rigorous than Bay. I just didn't get the sense that made Crown jobs more competitive, on the whole. Interested in the contrary take.

Do Bay St. firms put strong emphasis at which class the grades are in? I have almost identical 1L grades at uOttawa as well. 

27 minutes ago, theboy said:

Do Bay St. firms put strong emphasis at which class the grades are in?

No.