Mydream123

If L1 went online for the Fall, would you do it?

I’m not sure if we’ll be able to defer, and I don’t know if I’d want to bank on applying again. I would certainly consider if it’s an option. While I’m not keen on waiting around for a year doing nothing (nothing of note or interest anyways), I really would prefer to do 1L in person. Not only do I find that I learn well in a classroom setting, but the one time social/networking/collegiate experience is not something I’m that keen to throw away. If that’s what happens that’s what happens, obviously me and my experience are an immeasurably small part of this global crisis. Just my preference on the matter. At least I could stay home and bum off mum and dad to save some cash...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I’m reminded of the old curse, “may you live in interesting times.”  

If I were starting at a law school this Fall, I would consider it such a significant privilege that I would absolutely start online if I had to. As it stands we don’t know if schools will still be online at that point, of course, but at any rate if so it will be temporary. 

Alas, I couldn’t apply this cycle (have to support my family) and am hoping to do so this Fall. But that said, I teach at the post-secondary level and will be doing so after the summer as well.  I don’t want to go online now, I don’t want to stay online in the fall, and my institution doesn’t want to stay online any longer than it it required to do so. I have some inside knowledge of this: I am on both the faculty association executive and the Board of Governors.

We will do the best we can to provide students with the best learning environment possible. It won’t be ideal. But as I say it’ll be temporary. I don’t know a single prof who would rather stick to an online format. 

My message is to be optimistic and to recognise the great opportunity and privilege of being able to be a student at all, never mind a law student. The current situation sucks. But it isn’t permanent.

Or at least nobody I work with thinks it will, or wants it to be. 

Edited by GreyDude
Grammar
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

I would probably end up going, but it wouldn’t be a given like it is if it’s in person. I would take some time and really think about what I want to do. I don’t think they could justify charging the amount of tuition they do if classes are only online, so any potential discount to tuition would help. 

It also depends on what they decide to do for summer employment this year. If the potential to get biglaw 2L and 1L jobs no longer exists (I think that’s unlikely tho) then I’m absolutely not going. It still has to be a viable 100k and 3 year investment at the end of the day 

Edited by Lawstudent97
  • Like 1

Depends on my employment prospects come September. If it's online I might work and try for a better LSAT score. I'm young and in no real rush.

I would do it, but of course I would prefer in class teaching. I took some time off after finishing my undergrad, and I could not imagine waiting another year. 

I am honestly just grateful to have been given an offer of admission, and I would want to make the most out of any opportunity given to me, even if that means online classes for some time. 

I have also taken a few online courses, both during and after my undergraduate degree, and really enjoyed them. I do think that certain courses translate more effectively to an online format than others. 

• Like 2

Law grad here who just finished, so my perspective isn't too far back.

If I had a job, given the economy, I'd wait a year. If your stats are strong enough, reapply if you must. This might be the one year schools don't hold it against you for rejecting and reapplying anyway.

I really liked 1L, and did fairly well. I wouldn't have in an online setting. I made some really good friends that I couldn't have without online learning. These friends will be/already are some of my connections too. Don't downplay the importance of this. And they also helped with readings when I was lazy. Sure, you could still do all that, but it just won't be the same experience.

If you don't have a job and you'd be looking for one, I'd go. The economy will be in a deep hole for a while. No better time to pay someone to learn!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'd be heavily leaning to postponing and reapplying (assuming UVic wouldn't grant a deferral) if this is the case. I am looking at law school as an experience which would be better in-person for both learning and meeting people. Also, I am a science major and I have no idea how to go about learning in law school. Learning this all by myself would be super difficult in my opinion. Hopefully this decision never has to be made...

I would be disappointed but I wouldn't defer. I wouldn't want to go through this admissions cycle again. I'd also still try to move to the city if possible. 

I wouldn't even consider deferring. Im too old, no I'm just kidding. But really I have had my years off and have decided what I want to do now so I'm ready to do it. I wouldnt really care if it was one semester online. I've been telling myself for years to let go of the timeline and do things as it makes sense and feels right. So I understand postponing things that are important to us for certain reasons but at this point in my life it feels like the right time to just get to it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Calgarylaw2 said:

I wouldn't even consider deferring. Im too old, no I'm just kidding. But really I have had my years off and have decided what I want to do now so I'm ready to do it. I wouldnt really care if it was one semester online. I've been telling myself for years to let go of the timeline and do things as it makes sense and feels right. So I understand postponing things that are important to us for certain reasons but at this point in my life it feels like the right time to just get to it. 

Exactly the position I'm in. Is what it is at this point. 

As much as I'm nervous about maybe not getting that initial in person contact with the class, in my experience nothing bonds a group  of people more than going through a difficult situation together. So here's hoping it doesn't come to it, but even if it does, I think we'll all manage just fine. :)

• Like 3

Obviously i'm in the minority here but I think if we had the option for a deferral I would take it. I'm only 21 so I've got lots of time, I live at home right now and have a job I love so I think i would stay home and save up for a year and then start law school the year after. I've taken a few university level online classes in the past, and I am obviously in a fully online course load finishing off my degree right now and I hate it and find it hard to be as successful as I know I could be if the classes were in person. 

The fact that I am heading to UBC from across the country obviously complicates things further if they were to do one semester online. There is a social aspect of getting to know people that is important to me when moving so far from home and that gets totally lost online. As well as the logistics of the move which would be way more complicated if 1L was partially or fully online. 

45 minutes ago, Emekj said:

Obviously i'm in the minority here but I think if we had the option for a deferral I would take it. I'm only 21 so I've got lots of time, I live at home right now and have a job I love so I think i would stay home and save up for a year and then start law school the year after. I've taken a few university level online classes in the past, and I am obviously in a fully online course load finishing off my degree right now and I hate it and find it hard to be as successful as I know I could be if the classes were in person. 

The fact that I am heading to UBC from across the country obviously complicates things further if they were to do one semester online. There is a social aspect of getting to know people that is important to me when moving so far from home and that gets totally lost online. As well as the logistics of the move which would be way more complicated if 1L was partially or fully online. 

i have the same thought process. I'm 22 and not concerned with the year off, i know I'm able to be fine jumping on contracts the way i have been even through all the covid closures. My concern is actually getting a deferral, as a holistic admit i don't want to take a chance with reapplying and my acceptance letter literally says can't be deferred to another term so id be asking them for some leniency given the whole state of the world. 

im also still hoping and waiting on dal but the thought of trying to move my whole life from toronto to halifax sounds hellish right now, if i had a confirmed deferral to grab a bunch of job contracts for the next 15ish months and apartment hunt online until i find something really nice actually sounds great to me, getting the deferral is the biggest question mark.

• Like 1