arkdiamond

School Decisions re: Final Grades

1 hour ago, bobby96 said:

Do we have confirmation honours means A for Dal or could it possibly mean B or higher?

“If a student merits a grade that would normally be in the A+, A, or A- range, that would normally merit a grade of “Honours”. Our normal curve limits grades in the A range to 20% for exam courses and non-exam courses with an enrolment of more than 16 students.  This should roughly be your guide, although some deviation will be permitted.  With respect to paper courses and courses with fewer than 16 students, the number of “Honours” grades should reflect the size of the class. “

Posted (edited)

Meanwhile, UVic still thinks graded exams are a good idea??? What a joke.

Edited by LSorBust
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, LSorBust said:

Meanwhile, UVic still thinks graded exams are a good idea??? What a joke.

Is this confirmed. Or are they still waiting for an update?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pzabbythesecond said:

McGill too I'm pretty sure. Only non law undergrads get to choose after exams.

Is this true?

2 minutes ago, MustangSally said:

Is this true?

I'm honestly not following too closely, so I'm happy to be proven wrong, but that's my understanding.

10 minutes ago, bobby96 said:

Is this confirmed. Or are they still waiting for an update?

We are still waiting. I wish they'd let us know soon...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, magicmtn said:

We are still waiting. I wish they'd let us know soon...

Considering only 3 Universities are left (Uvic, TRU, Lakehead) pretty sad company for UVIC

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, MustangSally said:

Is this true?

The law students will be allowed to apply the pass/fail option for a class up to 48 hours after writing the final exam. They most likely won't get the grade in time however.

Edited by Applicant2019

2 minutes ago, Applicant2019 said:

The law students will be allowed to apply the pass/fail for a class option up to 48 hours after writing the final exam. They most likely won't get the grade in time however.

Nobody gets their grade 48 hours after the exam. Even if the prof is spending every waking hour grading it as fast as possible. The 48-hour is probably time for the student to think about their performance and take a gamble. Kind of like the LSAT.

As it currently stands, UBC is also opt-in Cr/D/F but you get to see your grade first.

I really wish UVic would update students. They were supposed to let us know by 4:30 yesterday but we still haven't heard anything...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PlantsForDays said:

I really wish UVic would update students. They were supposed to let us know by 4:30 yesterday but we still haven't heard anything...

I feel you. Not knowing really is the worst part. DAL students were left completely in the dark for a week until yesterday when we received an email that everything is moving to mandatory pass/fail/honours. We didn't even get a "we're working on it" update in the interim. 

That said, I think the administration made the best call they could. Pass/fail/honours minimizes a lot of the equity concerns and allows students who are /really/ concerned about being ahead of the curve to get some distinction since honours is just anything in the A range. 

• Like 3

TRU's faculty of law just got the go ahead from University Admin to switch to pass fail. We are just waiting on the faculty to officially make their decision, but all signs are pointing to mandatory pass fail grading. 

2 hours ago, lawstudent20202020 said:

TRU's faculty of law just got the go ahead from University Admin to switch to pass fail. We are just waiting on the faculty to officially make their decision, but all signs are pointing to mandatory pass fail grading. 

Yes and for some reason optional pass fail is off the table because TRU is unable to implement it because: reasons. 

Updated Complete list of CDN Law School Grading Schemes:
UBC - (Edit) Optional Pass/Fail
Lakehead - Graded as of now - Updated Decision early next week - likely P/F if all other schools implement
U of Alberta - Mandatory Pass/Fail
U of Calgary - Optional Pass/Fail
Dalhousie - (Edit) Mandatory pass/fail/honours
U of Manitoba - (Edit) Mandatory Pass/Fail
McGill - Optional Pass/Fail
(Edit) Université de Moncton - Optional Pass/Fail
U of New Brunswick - (Edit) Optional Pass/Fail (opt in before assessments)
Osgoode - (Edit) Mandatory Pass/Fail
U of Ottawa - (Edit) Optional Pass/Fail (for all courses)
Queen's - Optional Pass/Fail
U of Saskachewan - (Edit) Optional Pass/Fail
Thompson Rivers - (Edit) Mandatory Pass/Fail
U of Toronto - Mandatory Pass/Fail
U of Victoria - Graded Exams, Dean states it "could change given the evolving situation"
Western - (Edit) Mandatory Pass/Fail
U of Windsor - Mandatory Pass Fail
TOTAL PASS/FAIL - 16
TOTAL GRADED - 2

3 hours ago, PlantsForDays said:

U of Victoria - Graded Exams, Dean states it "could change given the evolving situation"

UVic - Optional Pass/Fail - students to decide after reviewing their marks whether to keep grade, select pass, or drop course.

TRU has not officially gone pass fail. Faculty council is voting on it next week. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AWL said:

TRU has not officially gone pass fail. Faculty council is voting on it next week. 

Rumours around campus were faculty support mandatory credit / no credit but could not officially vote on it today. Would be astounding if the remain the only school in Canada to do grades

9 hours ago, bobby96 said:

Rumours around campus were faculty support mandatory credit / no credit but could not officially vote on it today. Would be astounding if the remain the only school in Canada to do grades

In fairness they would be the only school to do just grades. Presumably some people will not take the option for optional pass fail. This would then make TRU the only school in BC to have absolutely no grades. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, AWL said:

In fairness they would be the only school to do just grades. Presumably some people will not take the option for optional pass fail. This would then make TRU the only school in BC to have absolutely no grades. 

Sense around campus is TRU would rather follow UofT because:

"On balance, only the general credit/no credit scheme avoids problematic evaluative distinctions at a time when the COVID-19 pandemic is affecting students in highly differentiated ways that are independent of academic commitment and ability" - UofT Law Dean

Edited by bobby96