arkdiamond

School Decisions re: Final Grades

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

I thought instead of checking every thread re: COVID-19 and grades, it could be easier to have a single thread talking about it. So, once you get direction from your school, could someone comment on here what they are doing re: finals (i.e. pass/fail for everyone, alphanumeric, students' choose)?

I'm at UOttawa, and they've decided

• 1Ls: can either take their midterm mark as their final mark, OR write the final, and then decide when they receive their grade whether to keep their grade or do pass/fail for that course.
  • Upper years: can opt-in to pass/fail for ALL their courses before the start of finals.

Thanks!!!

And don't forget to stay inside everyone! Stay safe and sane xx

Edited by arkdiamond

Windsor Law has implemented a mandatory pass/fail for all courses in the Winter 2020 semester. We haven't been provided with any details as to what this means for 1Ls (or other upper year classes such as moots for-credit and supervised research), but we are asked to send in questions to our Dean's assistant and he will answer those questions in one email for a full Q&A to address all of the concerns that inevitable arise. 

Western has mandatory pass/fail except for classes where the deadline for all required assessments is March 23rd or earlier. Final exams will likely take place as scheduled on our normal exam software but with some additional time to account for any tech issues that might arise

Here is what I have been able to figure out so far:

Complete list of CDN Law School Grading Schemes:
UBC - Graded Exams, Faculty/Senate reconsidering due to student backlash and other law schools going P/F
Lakehead - Unknown
U of Alberta - Mandatory Pass/Fail
U of Calgary - Optional Pass/Fail
Dalhousie - Graded exams (no curve), currently under review due to student backlash
U of Manitoba - Graded Exams, currently under review
McGill - Optional Pass/Fail
U of New Brunswick - (Edit) Optional Pass/Fail (opt in before assessments)
Osgoode - (Edit) Pending update
U of Ottawa - (Edit) Optional Pass/Fail (for all courses)
Queen's - Optional Pass/Fail
U of Saskachewan - Graded exams, currently under review
Thompson Rivers - Graded exams, currently under review, want to be in line with UBC and Uvic
U of Toronto - Mandatory Pass/Fail
U of Victoria - Graded Exams, Dean states it "could change given the evolving situation"
Western - (Edit) Mandatory Pass/Fail
U of Windsor - Mandatory Pass Fail
TOTAL PASS/FAIL - 9
TOTAL GRADED - 6
TOTAL UNKNOWN - 2

Please comment or message me as we learn more and I'll update this list! In solidarity my friends 1f642.png?_nc_eui2=AeFaEkk5IPQZMfKKBZoLX:)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, PlantsForDays said:

U of Saskachewan - Graded exams, currently under review
Please comment or message me as we learn more and I'll update this list! In solidarity my friends 1f642.png?_nc_eui2=AeFaEkk5IPQZMfKKBZoLX:)

USask is moving to a "hybrid model"—not mandatory p/f but elective. It will be decided later whether this will be class-by-class or whole-semester.

as previously mentioned, Windsor law has implemented a pass/fail system. I am extremely frustrated and beyond disappointed with this decision... if UoOttawa has implemented an optional system there is no reason why windsor law can't, it is a careless and reckless decision in my opinion. I am sensitive and understanding to circumstances and hardships other students are experiencing, and in those cases the school should grant compassionate grounds and other flexible options. implementing a blanket approach is grossly unfair, and deciding the future of students without secure employment is just egregious. in any case, students should have the option to obtain their grades, its the only real currency we have in the legal market....

windsor law should realize that its reputation does not precede it and go with what other law schools are doing.

Edited by legallybrown34
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, legallybrown34 said:

as previously mentioned, Windsor law has implemented a pass/fail system. I am extremely frustrated and beyond disappointed with this decision... if UoOttawa has implemented an optional system there is no reason why windsor law can't, it is a careless and reckless decision in my opinion. I am sensitive and understanding to circumstances and hardships other students are experiencing, and in those cases the school should grant compassionate grounds and other flexible options. implementing a blanket approach is grossly unfair, and deciding the future of students without secure employment is just egregious. in any case, students should have the option to obtain their grades, its the only real currency we have in the legal market....

windsor law should realize that its reputation does not precede it and go with what other law schools are doing.

Judging by your post history you're a 3L?  You have 5 semesters of grades. One semester of Ps isn't going to be the reason why you don't get an articling position.

• Sad 1

Updated Complete list of CDN Law School Grading Schemes:
UBC - (Edit) Optional Pass/Fail
Lakehead - Unknown
U of Alberta - Mandatory Pass/Fail
U of Calgary - Optional Pass/Fail
Dalhousie - Graded exams (no curve), currently under review due to student backlash
U of Manitoba - Graded Exams, currently under review
McGill - Optional Pass/Fail
(Edit) Université de Moncton - Optional Pass/Fail
U of New Brunswick - (Edit) Optional Pass/Fail (opt in before assessments)
Osgoode - (Edit) Pending update
U of Ottawa - (Edit) Optional Pass/Fail (for all courses)
Queen's - Optional Pass/Fail
U of Saskachewan - (Edit) Optional Pass/Fail
Thompson Rivers - Graded exams, currently under review, want to be in line with UBC and Uvic
U of Toronto - Mandatory Pass/Fail
U of Victoria - Graded Exams, Dean states it "could change given the evolving situation"
Western - (Edit) Mandatory Pass/Fail
U of Windsor - Mandatory Pass Fail
TOTAL PASS/FAIL - 12
TOTAL GRADED - 4
TOTAL UNKNOWN - 2
Edited by PlantsForDays
Update

Don't go to UBC, but the email from the dean was shared with a UVic group:

"UBC made an additional grading option available on Friday that would allow faculties to introduce a modified pass/fail option, called Credit/D/Fail, in which students could keep their original grade or elect to have their grade replaced by “Credit” (55-100%), a “D” (50%-54.9%), or an “F”.

Based on extensive deliberations by the Academic Procedures Committee and input directly from students – and in light of developments at other Canadian law schools and other faculties at UBC – I have decided that we will adopt an opt-in Cr/D/F approach. Students will be able to opt into the Cr/D/F on a course by course basis after having seen their grades."

Edited by cheesy
typo

1 minute ago, cheesy said:

Don't go to UBC, but the email from the dean was shared with a UVic group:

"UBC made an additional grading option available on Friday that would allow faculties to introduce a modified pass/fail option, called Credit/D/Fail, in which students could keep their original grade or elect to have their grade replaced by “Credit” (55-100%), a “D” (50%-54.9%), or an “F”.

Based on extensive deliberations by the Academic Procedures Committee and input directly from students – and in light of developments at other Canadian law schools and other faculties at UBC – I have decided that we will adopt an opt-in Cr/D/F approach. Students will be able to opt into the Cr/D/F on a course by course basis after having seen their grades."

So Credit is the new C? 

• Like 2

Université de Moncton- all assessment moved online/take home. Optional pass/fail implemented but must inform the professor prior to the commencement of the exam period. Law Students Union is pushing for a similar option to UBC's posted above.

3 minutes ago, ProfReader said:

The word on the street is that UofA's mandatory pass/fail may become optional.

Oof, that’d be a tough blow. Speaking for myself, it’s tough to adjust your mindset - again - so close to exams. 

I wonder what changed?

19 minutes ago, Cheek said:

So Credit is the new C? 

Yup. And I assume other BC law schools will follow, forcing us all to work just as hard, despite our many handicaps, to just make it over that C/B- line.

Edited by LSorBust

3 minutes ago, LSorBust said:

Yup. And I assume other BC law schools will follow, forcing us all to work just as hard, despite our many handicaps, to just make it over that C/B- line.

The law firm can expect a transcript from UBC as following:

A

A-

B+

B- (probably)

P (presumed to be C and below)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Franknku said:

A

A-

B+

B- (probably)

Don’t forget to add the D. It’s part of their optional scheme. It’s very bizarre. It is essentially just an illusory optional scheme that truly conceals an ordinary grading scheme as if it were business as usual. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RollMaster said:

Osgoode decided on mandatory credit / no credit 

The Faculty Council did in a landslide. York Senate is yet to approve. Vote is tomorrow. We were told to expect deference.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Franknku said:

A

A-

B+

B- (probably)

I think it also has to be kept in students' minds that a legal employer is likely aware of the pandemic and may do things a bit more holistically for this semester. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cheek said:

The Faculty Council did in a landslide. York Senate is yet to approve. Vote is tomorrow. We were told to expect deference.

True, but 0% chance it doesn't get approved by York. They've already announced changes to York-wide grading policies and explicitly noted that it doesn't apply to Osgoode - implying that Osgoode will decide on its own.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1