klawyer

With summer plans cancelled, what do I do to benefit myself/resume?

Posted (edited)

Hi guys, 

This summer was suppose to be my summer of volunteering, having more EC's, and having a job (things i would happily enjoy). Sadly, this seems to be more of a vision than reality considering the global pandemic. 

I'm not sure what to do, i'm stuck at home, and I want to do things that would positively benefit myself/resume, as well as being a future law student. 

I NEED your thoughts/opinions on what I should do (in terms of adding to my resume and generally EC's/volunteering); as of now, I only have 3 clubs from school. 

Edited by klawyer

Having a job is probably going to be a lot harder, given the half a million people who filed for EI last week.

If you want to do something positive, how about seeing if there's some kind of community support you can provide - eg grocery pickup/delivery for the housebound, or simply calling people in isolation for a chat. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lookingaround said:

Having a job is probably going to be a lot harder, given the half a million people who filed for EI last week.

If you want to do something positive, how about seeing if there's some kind of community support you can provide - eg grocery pickup/delivery for the housebound, or simply calling people in isolation for a chat. 

Due to the pandemic, getting a job during this state seems unrealistic sadly. However, helping around seems positive and lovely, thanks!

8 minutes ago, klawyer said:

Hi guys, 

This summer was suppose to be my summer of volunteering, having more EC's, and having a job (things i would happily enjoy). Sadly, this seems to be more of a vision than reality considering the global pandemic. 

I'm not sure what to do, i'm stuck at home, and I want to do things that would positively benefit myself/resume, as well as being a future law student. 

I NEED your thoughts/opinions on what I should do (in terms of adding to my resume and generally EC's/volunteering); as of now, I only have 3 clubs from school. 

Do not worry about your EC. What is you GPA so far?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Do not worry about your EC. What is you GPA so far?

my gpa isnt perfect or competitive as of now (only a 3rd year student who still has 3 courses in progress...so will get back to you about my exact gpa), I wanted my EC's and lsat score to prove otherwise for this summer; in case my gpa isnt where i want it to be while applying...

Edited by klawyer

Seriously, don't worry about how to best market yourself to law school admissions right now. The stuff you are talking about barely makes a difference in admissions under the best of circumstances, let alone during an unprecedented (in modern times) public health crisis.

Nobody is going to look at your file a year or two down the road and ask "why weren't you doing something more impressive during the coronavirus pandemic?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't think having "only" three clubs in your ECs is as bad as you think it is, provided that you actually participate in a real capacity in any of them (like organizing events, being on the club exec, etc), rather than just being a casual member. You're also in third year so you'll still have an opportunity next year to participate and get more involved if you're still worried. Even though you'll be preparing your applications in the fall, you can indicate what you have lined up for the rest of the school year - I did that in my applications.

But @lookingaround's idea sounds great. There are still ways to better society even in this pandemic that will have the bonus of adding to your application.

1 minute ago, lewcifer said:

But @lookingaround's idea sounds great. There are still ways to better society even in this pandemic that will have the bonus of adding to your application.

Jesus Christ, law school applicants/students are unbelievable sometimes...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Seriously, don't worry about how to best market yourself to law school admissions right now. The stuff you are talking about barely makes a difference in admissions under the best of circumstances, let alone during an unprecedented (in modern times) public health crisis.

Nobody is going to look at your file a year or two down the road and ask "why weren't you doing something more impressive during the coronavirus pandemic?"

very true and thanks!

18 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Jesus Christ, law school applicants/students are unbelievable sometimes...

I am always suspicious of people who did no volunteer activities whatsoever until a few months before they applied to law school. That reeks of being self-serving, rather than genuinely caring about a cause.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ProfReader said:

I am always suspicious of people who did no volunteer activities whatsoever until a few months before they applied to law school. That reeks of being self-serving, rather than genuinely caring about a cause.

true, having something an individual cares about/the cause itself, makes the opportunity 10x more enjoyable too! 

Practices vary but my sense is that volunteerism and ECs are helpful to the extent that they might show you're accustomed to balancing various commitments in your day to day life. If you've got another way of showing this, that works too.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, jatthopefullawyer said:

focus on GPA and LSAT. do not worry about ECs until this situation is gone 

Thanks for the replies! I'm sure there are others in the same boat too, I appreciate it! :)

22 hours ago, ProfReader said:

In your opinion how important are ECs at all? I don't have much personally in the way of involvement aside from sports and working in the summer. I get that at UofT / Oz it's a factor at least to some degree, but what about at other schools? Leaving aside prestigious scholarships and *ahem* actual achievements how important is it that "Firstname Lastname 0L" was the "VP something or other" in "insert club here"? 

Posted (edited)

With the amount of people blatantly ignoring public health advice during this pandemic, practicing social distancing may actually end up being a charitable service you could put on your CV! 🤨

Edited by capitalttruth
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Sambo1261 said:

In your opinion how important are ECs at all? I don't have much personally in the way of involvement aside from sports and working in the summer. I get that at UofT / Oz it's a factor at least to some degree, but what about at other schools? Leaving aside prestigious scholarships and *ahem* actual achievements how important is it that "Firstname Lastname 0L" was the "VP something or other" in "insert club here"? 

It really depends on how holistic the school is. The VP of whatever club is close to meaningless anywhere.

1 minute ago, ProfReader said:

It really depends on how holistic the school is. The VP of whatever club is close to meaningless anywhere.

Cheers, just read your more lengthy reply on another post RE: ECs.

Posted (edited)

Why not study for your LSAT and write it early and get it out of the way? One of the biggest mistakes I made when applying to law school was applying before I had an LSAT score. I ended up writing my LSAT in February and got accepted on that score but if you have your complete application ready by the time you apply, schools can start looking at your application right away and accept you then. You also won’t have to worry about writing it during the school year and may have a better chance since the school will have all their spots open vs writing it later when half the class is full and there’s more competition. My February test was also undisclosed so I wasn’t able to determine what I got wrong (not that it mattered but inquiring minds wanted to know). 

If you’re really determine to do something, I would say try and learn a transferable skill that maybe you can use when applying to firms, when you’re actually in law school (e.g. French or an online certification or something). You can definitely try and do something to help others during the pandemic but I would caution against organizing a one day thing, such as a food drive, and then including that in your personal statement or cover letters. 

Edited by blackwidow
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, blackwidow said:

Why not study for your LSAT and write it early and get it out of the way? One of the biggest mistakes I made when applying to law school was applying before I had an LSAT score. I ended up writing my LSAT in February and got accepted on that score but if you have your complete application ready by the time you apply, schools can start looking at your application right away and accept you then. You also won’t have to worry about writing it during the school year and may have a better chance since the school will have all their spots open vs writing it later when half the class is full and there’s more competition. My February test was also undisclosed so I wasn’t able to determine what I got wrong (not that it mattered but inquiring minds wanted to know). 

If you’re really determine to do something, I would say try and learn a transferable skill that maybe you can use when applying to firms, when you’re actually in law school (e.g. French or an online certification or something). You can definitely try and do something to help others during the pandemic but I would caution against organizing a one day thing, such as a food drive, and then including that in your personal statement or cover letters. 

Thanks for your feedback and I like the idea about transferable skills, just finishing up my April semester and will study throughout the summer! :)