LetMeIn2020

How likely is it that the fall 2020 semester will be postponed and/or carried out online?

At the U of C law open house on Monday that made it sound as though it was quite likely the first semester would be online, unless people start taking social distancing more seriously right away

8 minutes ago, albertabean said:

At the U of C law open house on Monday that made it sound as though it was quite likely the first semester would be online, unless people start taking social distancing more seriously right away

They had an in person open house on Monday? Sounds like they're not taking social distancing seriously. 

• Like 3

On 3/23/2020 at 2:25 PM, Lawstudent97 said:

I agree that osgoode will still provide an advantage even if classes are online. But one of the main reason I choose osgoode over queens/western and potentially uoft (I withdrew before a decision was made) were the clinics osgoode offers. Specifically the 2 business law workshops at Davies and the other business law clinic at Stikemans. I see those clinics as the best experience someone like me aiming for Bay Street could get while in law school. 

As far as UBC is concerned my thoughts were that if everything is online for 1L I could attend online UBC and then transfer to osgoode effectively saving me 14k (which I could put on 220 SPY puts and pay for the entirety of my law school ;) ) 

Both of the clinics you mentioned will not be available to you until 2L anyway (and are great opportunities), with applications available in January of 1L. You will definitely be able to take advantage of the clinic opportunities once this situation passes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, penguinh said:

They had an in person open house on Monday? Sounds like they're not taking social distancing seriously. 

The admitted students open house was actually done virtually through zoom. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, passeri said:

I've read and re-read it, thanks. :)  You can apply to challenge the courses by taking the exams. As far as I understand it the "two years' courses" essentially are the 5 courses (or 7 if you don't get your schooling in a common-law  country) I was talking about. At least that is the way I understand it. I have emailed the NCA for clarification on that. If I still need to actually commit to two years after the USQ - so be it! That would still equal the same amount of time it would take to re-write my LSAT and re-apply to the UofA next year, rather than start now, take 2.5 years online and two years in-class. I don't have the luxury of choosing law schools, unfortunately. I need to stay where my children are.

Online law schools require the NCA exams but you must also do 2 years of law school in person afterwards. Please don't do this. 

• Like 5