LetMeIn2020

How likely is it that the fall 2020 semester will be postponed and/or carried out online?

17 minutes ago, LetMeIn2020 said:

Title!

Honestly, it's impossible for anyone to gauge what September is going to look like at this point. Schools need to figure out how they are going to run April exams/moots/clinics/papers before they can even begin to think about Fall courses. 

There is something of a chance that Fall courses will be held to some degree online. What that chance is nobody can tell you. We are only at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic hitting Canada. 

Hopefully they give us some information by the deposit deadline, because I’m not paying 26k a year for online law school 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Lawstudent97 said:

Hopefully they give us some information by the deposit deadline, because I’m not paying 26k a year for online law school 

I would pay my deposit to secure my seat. If the fall 2020 semester was postponed and or carried out online, the institutions would surely return the deposit.

My prediction (conjecture) is we will be out of the wood-work per say in September but certain social distancing measures will still be in place, and classes are one of the worst things for social distancing....(hundreds of people together in a single room/building) and as such some classes might still be online for perhaps half or the entirety of the semester.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sc313 said:
2 hours ago, Lawstudent97 said:

I would pay my deposit to secure my seat. If the fall 2020 semester was postponed and or carried out online, the institutions would surely return the deposit.

Unless you really are open to the possibility of tanking your year over this, @Lawstudent97, I think that @sc313has just given you some pretty solid advice.

I really doubt that anybody really knows what will be happening six months from now, or what kinds of measures might be required by then. I mean, I am confident that there are some epidemiologists out there with models taking us to September and beyond, but I'd wager that the farther into the future such a model goes, the less we can have confidence in its predictive power. Maybe by June or July they'll have a clear idea and be able to tell us with confidence what we can expect in September. If I'm right, then speculation is all we have, and it's free, but it's not likely to be very helpful. 

My approach to the next several months (and the one I recommend) is going to be to plan optimistically, as though things will be back to normal soon enough.  But I also need to remember that they might not be: we might still be called on to be adaptable and continue showing solidarity with our fellow citizens, including through personal sacrifice. I don't think tuition will drop as a result of the current crisis, and I have to say that frankly, taking a few classes online instead of in person is an inconvenience, not a hardship. At least you get to be in law school. 

Edited by GreyDude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Lawstudent97 said:

Why not? There is no reason to believe that your courses will be any less valuable to you than being in a room filled with people taught by an actual live instructor. The world is perfectly set up digitally to have instructors give live  or pre-recorded sessions or even conduct live video conference classes. We have had the technology for a long time - but for some reason haven't used it to its fullest potential. Or .... are you just afraid of the stigma that seems to be so prevalently associated with online courses among many people on this site?

Edited by passeri

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, passeri said:

Why not? There is no reason to believe that your courses will be any less valuable to you than being in a room filled with people taught by an actual live instructor. The world is perfectly set up digitally to have instructors give live  or pre-recorded sessions or even conduct live video conference classes. We have had the technology for a long time - but for some reason haven't used it to its fullest potential. Or .... are you just afraid of the stigma that seems to be so prevalently associated with online courses among many people on this site?

Mostly because I declined my offer at UBC in favour of osgoode because I want to work in Toronto. But if everything is online anyways I’m gunna be really mad that I turned down 12k a year online law school for 26k a year online law school 

Online actually plays into my learning style more. I don’t take in information well when I hear it out loud but excel at learning when I read information. I’m almost positive my class ranking would be higher if everything was online. 

Edited by Lawstudent97
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lawstudent97 said:

Mostly because I declined my offer at UBC in favour of osgoode because I want to work in Toronto. But if everything is online anyways I’m gunna be really mad that I turned down 12k a year online law school for 26k a year online law school 

Online actually plays into my learning style more. I don’t take in information well when I hear it out loud but excel at learning when I read information. I’m almost positive my class ranking would be higher if everything was online. 

If you declined your offer at UBC for Osgoode because you wanted to work in Toronto, I fail to understand why you think Osgoode going online would reduce your advantage in the Toronto market. In large part, it sounds like you chose Osgoode and therefore the 26k in tuition, in exchange for an advantage in the Toronto market and not necessarily because of being in a physical Osgoode classroom. Osgoode will still provide you some sort of advantage with working in Toronto, whether classes are online or not. 

If your excel with reading information, then whether classes are online or in person seems to be largely irrelevant as you'd still be doing readings and self-studying. Lectures in large part, whether in person or online, would only serve to reinforce your learning and not be the primary source of it. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, LeoandCharlie said:

If you declined your offer at UBC for Osgoode because you wanted to work in Toronto, I fail to understand why you think Osgoode going online would reduce your advantage in the Toronto market. In large part, it sounds like you chose Osgoode and therefore the 26k in tuition, in exchange for an advantage in the Toronto market and not necessarily because of being in a physical Osgoode classroom. Osgoode will still provide you some sort of advantage with working in Toronto, whether classes are online or not. 

If your excel with reading information, then whether classes are online or in person seems to be largely irrelevant as you'd still be doing readings and self-studying. Lectures in large part, whether in person or online, would only serve to reinforce your learning and not be the primary source of it. 

I agree that osgoode will still provide an advantage even if classes are online. But one of the main reason I choose osgoode over queens/western and potentially uoft (I withdrew before a decision was made) were the clinics osgoode offers. Specifically the 2 business law workshops at Davies and the other business law clinic at Stikemans. I see those clinics as the best experience someone like me aiming for Bay Street could get while in law school. 

As far as UBC is concerned my thoughts were that if everything is online for 1L I could attend online UBC and then transfer to osgoode effectively saving me 14k (which I could put on 220 SPY puts and pay for the entirety of my law school ;) ) 

Edited by Lawstudent97

personally I am 21 and do not mind deferring admission if it is online. law school really should only be taught in class, you would lose many opportunities such as clinic, moot, etc 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lawstudent97 said:

I agree that osgoode will still provide an advantage even if classes are online. But one of the main reason I choose osgoode over queens/western and potentially uoft (I withdrew before a decision was made) were the clinics osgoode offers. Specifically the 2 business law workshops at Davies and the other business law clinic at Stikemans. I see those clinics as the best experience someone like me aiming for Bay Street could get while in law school. 

As far as UBC is concerned my thoughts were that if everything is online for 1L I could attend online UBC and then transfer to osgoode effectively saving me 14k

Gotcha, yes the loss of clinical opportunity would be bad. That being said, the clinics you've outlined at Osgoode are already very competitive and largely, the big law firms you seem to want to get into are going to seriously value your grades. As such, moving online would allow you to save some money from not paying so much for housing in Toronto and would allow you to get those solid grades, since you project excelling online. 

In any event, I hear you. As an Osgoode student I think in large part we pay the tuition we do for Osgoode's reputation, location and to be taught by professor's who write the text books. Those benefits still exists even if Osgoode moves to online. Wish you the best! 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 11:54 AM, Lawstudent97 said:

Where did you find an online juris doctor course for only 12k per year haha? I'm currently waiting to hear if I've been accepted at U of A but in the meantime have secured my education at University of Southern Queensland (completely online). I like online education too. I got my undergrad that way and it's fantastic for those who have other commitments like family or career. It's so frustrating that there aren't more fully online juris doctor programs out there, and none in Canada. 😕  I'm all for it and I do believe that this crisis is the impetus that may get juris doctor programs on-board with the rest of society - to the chagrin of many many potential students on this site...but hey....!

4 minutes ago, passeri said:

Where did you find an online juris doctor course for only 12k per year haha? I'm currently waiting to hear if I've been accepted at U of A but in the meantime have secured my education at University of Southern Queensland (completely online). I like online education too. I got my undergrad that way and it's fantastic for those who have other commitments like family or career. It's so frustrating that there aren't more fully online juris doctor programs out there, and none in Canada. 😕  I'm all for it and I do believe that this crisis is the impetus that may get juris doctor programs on-board with the rest of society - to the chagrin of many many potential students on this site...but hey....!

I got into ubc which has 12k a year tuition. If they make everything online I would have chosen that instead of osgoode for 26k in hindsight, because I could then be in my ideal location (Toronto) at the better price 

4 minutes ago, passeri said:

I'm currently waiting to hear if I've been accepted at U of A but in the meantime have secured my education at University of Southern Queensland (completely online).

So if you don't get into the UoA, you're not planning on working in Canada (at least not without years of additional study later)?

1 minute ago, lookingaround said:

So if you don't get into the UoA, you're not planning on working in Canada (at least not without years of additional study later)?

Australia is a common law country and I've already looked into taking the 5 accreditation courses specific to Canadian law I will need to take afterwards to be able to work in Alberta. ;) I can either take the 5 courses or challenge the exams. Either way the process should theoretically take the same amount of time to get me to the same point. If I do get accepted at the U of A, I would be very happy, but at this point, I'm also very excited to start my courses in July through USQ. There are some exciting international law courses I'm interested in. Also, it allows me to continue to work part time as a legal assistant - which for me, is essential as a single mom of two. :) 

Just now, passeri said:

Australia is a common law country and I've already looked into taking the 5 accreditation courses specific to Canadian law I will need to take afterwards to be able to work in Alberta. ;) I can either take the 5 courses or challenge the exams. Either way the process should theoretically take the same amount of time to get me to the same point. If I do get accepted at the U of A, I would be very happy, but at this point, I'm also very excited to start my courses in July through USQ. There are some exciting international law courses I'm interested in. Also, it allows me to continue to work part time as a legal assistant - which for me, is essential as a single mom of two. :) 

You may wish to re-read the NCA requirements. That would be the course of action if you did a full degree in another common law country (eg at Bond, or Leciester). If you do an online course, you would need to do at least two years of in-class study at a Canadian university in order to be able to write the NCA exams.

https://nca.legal/process/assigned-requirements/

If you got your law degree online through distance education, the NCA will assign you two full years of in-class study.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, lookingaround said:

You may wish to re-read the NCA requirements. That would be the course of action if you did a full degree in another common law country (eg at Bond, or Leciester). If you do an online course, you would need to do at least two years of in-class study at a Canadian university in order to be able to write the NCA exams.

https://nca.legal/process/assigned-requirements/

I've read and re-read it, thanks. :)  You can apply to challenge the courses by taking the exams. As far as I understand it the "two years' courses" essentially are the 5 courses (or 7 if you don't get your schooling in a common-law  country) I was talking about. At least that is the way I understand it. I have emailed the NCA for clarification on that. If I still need to actually commit to two years after the USQ - so be it! That would still equal the same amount of time it would take to re-write my LSAT and re-apply to the UofA next year, rather than start now, take 2.5 years online and two years in-class. I don't have the luxury of choosing law schools, unfortunately. I need to stay where my children are.

Edited by passeri