leafs_law

CV19 Lawyer Compensation/Layoffs

3 minutes ago, Barrista said:

What about recalls from layoffs? Have Bay Street firms brought back laid off associates?

I was under the impression that the big firms only laid off support staff, not associates? 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois

4 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I was under the impression that the big firms only laid off support staff, not associates? 

There was reference to this back on page 14, but no firms named...

On 6/24/2020 at 5:53 PM, pzabbythesecond said:

Just FYI to all, some recruiters have been saying international firms have been "opening the flood gates" for hires. Not sure what Canada will do, or even if that's credible (I don't know the person), but thought I'd share. That person has shared two international firm postings (one in NY, one in Bermuda).

bermuda sounds like a fun place to watch this boil over...

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 3:06 PM, Demander said:

What does this mean? 

My reference to being "buried in babies" was intended to allude to the fact that I am completely covered in them; that I have been caused to disappear or become inconspicuous by a volume of babies; that I have been moved or put out of sight by virtue of said babies; that I am overwhelmed beyond hope of recovery by babies; that I have been involved deeply with babies to the exclusion of other concerns.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Uriel said:

My reference to being "buried in babies" was intended to allude to the fact that I am completely covered in them; that I have been caused to disappear or become inconspicuous by a volume of babies; that I have been moved or put out of sight by virtue of said babies; that I am overwhelmed beyond hope of recovery by babies; that I have been involved deeply with babies to the exclusion of other concerns.

Were the laws on child smuggling abolished as a response to the pandemic to repopulate? That's a bold strategy cotton, let's see if it pays off for them. 

I cannot effectively smuggle the babies; I am one with the babies.  There is no secrecy, no clandestine carriage.  They clamber, they are made of noise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Uriel said:

I cannot effectively smuggle the babies; I am one with the babies.  There is no secrecy, no clandestine carriage.  They clamber, they are made of noise.

This is why I opted to care for plants instead.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, lawstudent20202020 said:

This is why I opted to care for plants instead.

Fun fact of the day: plants make ultrasonic noises when stressed. Stressed tomato plants make up to 35 noises per hour. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Fun fact of the day: plants make ultrasonic noises when stressed. Stressed tomato plants make up to 35 noises per hour. 

... same.

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Uriel said:

I thought this was some sort of class-actions-lawyer-specific jargon... but in any case, I'm relieved that you, and not I, are buried in babies.

• Like 1

Glad to hear some folks have started getting the salary cuts reversed.

Are most firms simply reversing cuts made during the pandemic or is the more common move to also provide backpay? Not many firms in my area have reversed salary cuts yet and I'm curious as to whether backpay is common or more of a rarity.

2 hours ago, clips2 said:

Glad to hear some folks have started getting the salary cuts reversed.

Are most firms simply reversing cuts made during the pandemic or is the more common move to also provide backpay? Not many firms in my area have reversed salary cuts yet and I'm curious as to whether backpay is common or more of a rarity.

I can't speak for other firms specifically, but my firm has made it clear that it is following the general approach of other firms in Toronto and not doing anything original. Fingers crossed that people are paid what they should be :P

On 7/28/2020 at 6:01 PM, adVenture said:

I can't speak for other firms specifically, but my firm has made it clear that it is following the general approach of other firms in Toronto and not doing anything original. Fingers crossed that people are paid what they should be :P

Hear, hear!

Associates at my firm are deciding how to approach this as our firm has no answer for us regarding when we can expect salaries to revert to normal or on the issue of backpay, but it's beginning to look like we're in this for the long haul. Fingers crossed, I guess!

Edited by clips2

Very concerning rumours flying around from well-connected sources about a few Bay Street firms in serious difficulty.  Worried about some good friends across the street that have been killing themselves to get ahead in places with an uncertain future.  You think all these firms are generally the same, and then something like this happens and there's a huge spectrum from the sky falling to firms doing so well they want to incorporate work-from-home on a permanent basis.  

Bay Street is going to look very different on the other side of this.  The same kind of tiers might still be there, but all you applicants are going to have much more variety in your choices.  Some firms are going to come out stodgy and unfazed; others are going to completely roll over into coffee-shop drop-in bistros; some might be slashed to near-irrelevance or merge (I can think of two clear candidates)... what a time to be alive.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Uriel said:

Bay Street is going to look very different on the other side of this.  The same kind of tiers might still be there, but all you applicants are going to have much more variety in your choices.  Some firms are going to come out stodgy and unfazed; others are going to completely roll over into coffee-shop drop-in bistros; some might be slashed to near-irrelevance or merge (I can think of two clear candidates)... what a time to be alive.

Yikes. Is "more variety" supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing? Sounds to me like job prospects for Bay Street will be be worse off in the near future.