Jump to content
leafs_law

CV19 Lawyer Compensation/Layoffs

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Barrista said:

What about recalls from layoffs? Have Bay Street firms brought back laid off associates?

I was under the impression that the big firms only laid off support staff, not associates? 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I was under the impression that the big firms only laid off support staff, not associates? 

There was reference to this back on page 14, but no firms named...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2020 at 5:53 PM, pzabbythesecond said:

Just FYI to all, some recruiters have been saying international firms have been "opening the flood gates" for hires. Not sure what Canada will do, or even if that's credible (I don't know the person), but thought I'd share. That person has shared two international firm postings (one in NY, one in Bermuda).

bermuda sounds like a fun place to watch this boil over...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2020 at 3:06 PM, Demander said:

What does this mean? 

My reference to being "buried in babies" was intended to allude to the fact that I am completely covered in them; that I have been caused to disappear or become inconspicuous by a volume of babies; that I have been moved or put out of sight by virtue of said babies; that I am overwhelmed beyond hope of recovery by babies; that I have been involved deeply with babies to the exclusion of other concerns.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Uriel said:

My reference to being "buried in babies" was intended to allude to the fact that I am completely covered in them; that I have been caused to disappear or become inconspicuous by a volume of babies; that I have been moved or put out of sight by virtue of said babies; that I am overwhelmed beyond hope of recovery by babies; that I have been involved deeply with babies to the exclusion of other concerns.

Were the laws on child smuggling abolished as a response to the pandemic to repopulate? That's a bold strategy cotton, let's see if it pays off for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot effectively smuggle the babies; I am one with the babies.  There is no secrecy, no clandestine carriage.  They clamber, they are made of noise.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Uriel said:

I cannot effectively smuggle the babies; I am one with the babies.  There is no secrecy, no clandestine carriage.  They clamber, they are made of noise.

This is why I opted to care for plants instead.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, lawstudent20202020 said:

This is why I opted to care for plants instead.

Fun fact of the day: plants make ultrasonic noises when stressed. Stressed tomato plants make up to 35 noises per hour. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Fun fact of the day: plants make ultrasonic noises when stressed. Stressed tomato plants make up to 35 noises per hour. 

... same.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Uriel said:

My reference to being "buried in babies" was intended to allude to the fact that I am completely covered in them; that I have been caused to disappear or become inconspicuous by a volume of babies; that I have been moved or put out of sight by virtue of said babies; that I am overwhelmed beyond hope of recovery by babies; that I have been involved deeply with babies to the exclusion of other concerns.

I thought this was some sort of class-actions-lawyer-specific jargon... but in any case, I'm relieved that you, and not I, are buried in babies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear some folks have started getting the salary cuts reversed.

Are most firms simply reversing cuts made during the pandemic or is the more common move to also provide backpay? Not many firms in my area have reversed salary cuts yet and I'm curious as to whether backpay is common or more of a rarity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, clips2 said:

Glad to hear some folks have started getting the salary cuts reversed.

Are most firms simply reversing cuts made during the pandemic or is the more common move to also provide backpay? Not many firms in my area have reversed salary cuts yet and I'm curious as to whether backpay is common or more of a rarity.

I can't speak for other firms specifically, but my firm has made it clear that it is following the general approach of other firms in Toronto and not doing anything original. Fingers crossed that people are paid what they should be :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2020 at 6:01 PM, adVenture said:

I can't speak for other firms specifically, but my firm has made it clear that it is following the general approach of other firms in Toronto and not doing anything original. Fingers crossed that people are paid what they should be :P

Hear, hear!

Associates at my firm are deciding how to approach this as our firm has no answer for us regarding when we can expect salaries to revert to normal or on the issue of backpay, but it's beginning to look like we're in this for the long haul. Fingers crossed, I guess!

Edited by clips2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very concerning rumours flying around from well-connected sources about a few Bay Street firms in serious difficulty.  Worried about some good friends across the street that have been killing themselves to get ahead in places with an uncertain future.  You think all these firms are generally the same, and then something like this happens and there's a huge spectrum from the sky falling to firms doing so well they want to incorporate work-from-home on a permanent basis.  

Bay Street is going to look very different on the other side of this.  The same kind of tiers might still be there, but all you applicants are going to have much more variety in your choices.  Some firms are going to come out stodgy and unfazed; others are going to completely roll over into coffee-shop drop-in bistros; some might be slashed to near-irrelevance or merge (I can think of two clear candidates)... what a time to be alive.

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uriel said:

  Bay Street is going to look very different on the other side of this.  The same kind of tiers might still be there, but all you applicants are going to have much more variety in your choices.  Some firms are going to come out stodgy and unfazed; others are going to completely roll over into coffee-shop drop-in bistros; some might be slashed to near-irrelevance or merge (I can think of two clear candidates)... what a time to be alive.

Yikes. Is "more variety" supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing? Sounds to me like job prospects for Bay Street will be be worse off in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Recent Posts

    • You sure about that rate, it seems like a really low rate for a first year associate
    • Is this for non Bay St firms only or does this include Bay St firms?
    • you too can get into law school with an lsat in the 140's :)))  I was accepted back in February but haven't had a chance to post!  LSAT: 145 last year, then 147 in November CGPA: 3.5 B2: 3.8  I believe I had an intensely strong application and references aside from these stats, as last year I was waitlisted at Queen's and Windsor (I did not apply to Ryerson last cycle) 
    • I think we had a period of overlap (I was at the faculty from Sept 2013 to December 2016). With respect to the rest, I think we're in general agreement. My point isn't that diversity doesn't exist or that it shouldn't be recognized. Of course it exists and of course we should take it into consideration but we should also keep in mind that it can present itself in very nuanced ways that you won't be able to pick up on unless you make an effort to get to know the person as an individual.
    • Many firms opted to cheap out during the annual compensation review. Instead of the usual annual raises, some firms provided cost of living increases (e.g. 2%) to their associates, even those who were dangerously closed to hitting their billable hours target. Now those same firms are dishing out retention bonuses to retain their associates. Too little too late, in some cases.  What has really frustrated associates is that some of these firms either exceeded or fell just below their original budgets for 2020. 

×
×
  • Create New...