Denning1919

Current Law Students: Pass/Fail due to COVID-19?

1 minute ago, Allardlawstudent5 said:

UBC's just announced the exams won't be pass/fail

I read on reddit it is worse than that.

Same software will be used.

That does not account for access to summaries. Who has them printed already? The school is essentially signalling that students should risk their health to get them printed, if it is even possible. Stores may close. Not everybody has the printing capability at home. Most probably don’t.

I expect students might protest. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cheek said:

I read on reddit it is worse than that.

Same software will be used.

That does not account for access to summaries. Who has them printed already? The school is essentially signalling that students should risk their health to get them printed, if it is even possible. Stores may close. Not everybody has the printing capability at home. Most probably don’t.

I expect students might protest. 

It's the same software but it'll be a different mode that will allow for accessing notes at the same time.

But regardless, I agree students might protest.

Yeah - Windsor sent an email tonight confirming that emails will go ahead as scheduled. No pass/fail and examsoft will still be used. To make it worse, some profs are changing from multiple choice to short answer questions, effectively making the exam much harder than it was planned 😣

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, WindsorHopeful said:

Yeah - Windsor sent an email tonight confirming that emails will go ahead as scheduled. No pass/fail and examsoft will still be used. To make it worse, some profs are changing from multiple choice to short answer questions, effectively making the exam much harder than it was planned 😣

What is the reaction by the student body? 

2 minutes ago, Cheek said:

What is the reaction by the student body? 

Yet to see. I'm sure they'll be up in arms. 

I'm fine with exams being graded but I think changing exam formats to make the exam harder goes too far. It just adds to the stress. 

• Like 1

Now the precedent has been set. For all the upcoming meetings at every other school, UBC and Windsor will be brought up. The only way that argument is weakened is if students don’t take it lying down. No school wants to be inundated with emails about the unfairness and inadequacy of the “solution.” If students at UBC and Windsor act now, not only can you help yourselves, you can help everybody else. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, WindsorHopeful said:

Yet to see. I'm sure they'll be up in arms. 

I'm fine with exams being graded but I think changing exam formats to make the exam harder goes too far. It just adds to the stress. 

Why would it matter if the exam is “harder” if everyone is graded on a curve relative to their peers? 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Lawstudent97 said:

Why would it matter if the exam is “harder” if everyone is graded on a curve relative to their peers? 

Because I dont want to study for and write a harder exam? We were told not to remember case names etc because they weren't going to be important. Now they are. Now everyone has to relearn that material. It sucks. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cheek said:

Now the precedent has been set. For all the upcoming meetings at every other school, UBC and Windsor will be brought up. The only way that argument is weakened is if students don’t take it lying down. No school wants to be inundated with emails about the unfairness and inadequacy of the “solution.” If students at UBC and Windsor act now, not only can you help yourselves, you can help everybody else. 

No, "For all the upcoming meetings at every other school UBC and Windsor" will not be brought up. There was considerable chatter between schools about what they were planning already, but most would have pretty much made their decisions by now and put the wheels in motion to execute those decisions. There are some leaning pass/fail and others not and some who have decided already but not announced it. The fact that two have now formally announced it doesn't change things. Student reactions at UBC and Windsor are very unlikely to move the needle at other schools.

Schools are already being inundated and will continue to be inundated with complaints of unfairness regardless of what solution is chosen. In fact, what you are proposing actually sounds like more inundation rather than less.

All of this is not to discourage you, but is to give you more reasonable expectations.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WindsorHopeful said:

Because I dont want to study for and write a harder exam? We were told not to remember case names etc because they weren't going to be important. Now they are. Now everyone has to relearn that material. It sucks. 

Apart from the case names issue, why is short answer harder than short answer, especially when it is graded on a curve?

You don't seem to be considering the academic dishonesty issue. It's a lot easier to cheat on multiple choice exams. That is probably the reason they will give you for changing them or at least was something they considered.

• Like 1

UofA‘S GFC has passed a motion for the entire university to be credit/credit not received effectively pass/fail.  But deans are given option for exemptions if needed. 

Important note to the inevitably panicking 1Ls: the curve is all that matters. If all of you are more or less equally screwed by an exam change, then none of you are screwed.

And if your lament is that you now have some extra hours of work ahead with only a few weeks notice, I have some very, very bad news about your chosen profession. 

• Like 5

How will firms be able to differentiate between students if they all have pass/fail, further, how will firms view students from schools that used a pass/fail, versus a school which gave out standard grades? Those concerns are legitimate. 

2 minutes ago, PyroJD said:

How will firms be able to differentiate between students if they all have pass/fail, further, how will firms view students from schools that used a pass/fail, versus a school which gave out standard grades? Those concerns are legitimate. 

You're assuming that the 2L recruit will be held in the first place...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kakoke said:

You're assuming that the 2L recruit will be held in the first place...

It will be, firms require a constant flow of new lawyers, they may hire less, but hiring will occur. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, PyroJD said:

It will be, firms require a constant flow of new lawyers, they may hire less, but hiring will occur. 

I'd imagine it would likely be held in Winter 2L, where you will have a second semester of grades regardless. This pandemic isn't something that is going away by April. There are projections that are predicting the peak of the virus as late as November in countries that are practicing social-distancing.

Edited by barnacledhermit

3 minutes ago, PyroJD said:

If you say so

31 minutes ago, PyroJD said:

UofA‘S GFC has passed a motion for the entire university to be credit/credit not received effectively pass/fail.  But deans are given option for exemptions if needed. 

Has this been implemented at the Law school?

4 minutes ago, Cheek said:

Has this been implemented at the Law school?

UofA will be sending a mass email outlining the various changes regarding exams, grading etc to all students tomorrow morning.  At the moment it is not confirmed whether the faculty of law will have an exemption or not, will report tomorrow morning. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, PyroJD said:

Sort of. It’s a concern if you think you’re an A student or so and will lose your chance to show it. I don’t have any evidence to support this other than knowing how recruit usually works, but I doubt firms will end up changing much about how many students they pick up - in aggregate - from each school.