throwaway1001

Summer position during COVID19

Is there a reason that none of you seem to be addressing this question to the firm that hired you? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

Is there a reason that none of you seem to be addressing this question to the firm that hired you? 

I imagine most of us have been in touch with our employers, but have received some variant of "details TBC". It's helpful to compare information about what other firms have communicated or decided, without having to pester our own employers with incessant questions.

I'm really sorry for occupying so much moderator time amidst a global crisis (sincerely). But I think many students are concerned that this issue could mean the difference between earning $20k + this summer and earning nothing.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

Many firms and organizations haven't even responded to inquiries, let alone decided what's going to happen. Patience is best, but the anxiety is rough being stuck inside I imagine.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FortifiedEight said:

I heard that McMillan cancelled their program, but when I followed up with an articling student at McMillan, they said they hadn't heard that was the case. Can anyone confirm?

I've received clarification that this is NOT the case.

3 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Many firms and organizations haven't even responded to inquiries, let alone decided what's going to happen. Patience is best, but the anxiety is rough being stuck inside I imagine.

Trust me, I'm aware that decisions haven't been made. I'm a lawyer, remember? ;)  We have been communicating with our students to keep them informed of where we are in the process of making this type of decision. 

Although it's natural to ask here, I just wondered why anyone thinks that they're going to find answers here that they can't get from their own future employers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, erinl2 said:

Although it's natural to ask here, I just wondered why anyone thinks that they're going to find answers here that they can't get from their own future employers.

Firms tend to move in lock step, or at least take very similar positions in these sorts of situations. Apparently, most of the student directors are talking every day and comparing strategies, so if one person gets info, even if it's from a different firm, it's helpful. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CoffeeandLaw said:

Firms tend to move in lock step, or at least take very similar positions in these sorts of situations. Apparently, most of the student directors are talking every day and comparing strategies, so if one person gets info, even if it's from a different firm, it's helpful. 

That's somewhat of an overstatement as there are all types of employers across the country and not all are going to be moving in lockstep, even if a small percentage of employers will.  

Best to be in touch with your employer directly. I get that students are anxious. Hang in there. 

• Like 1

It’s obviously a crazy time, so not surprising that decisions aren’t made on the student front. Things keep changing day to day on the client front, so not like students are getting the short end here. 

I’d expect start dates to be delayed, as you can’t bring in new employees who have never done this and expect them to work remotely. And you can’t extend the term as there isn’t extra resources for a prolonged overlap with articling students (not only financial, but tech and space issues).

Hang in there. Hopefully June start dates are workable, and a condensed summer can still be helpful, but let’s keep everything in perspective here. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2020 at 4:01 PM, Dgfragus said:

For those that have been delayed, any chances that you will be paid for the 4 weeks that have been missed?

Can confirm that this is happening for my colleague (another 1L)

Edited by throwaway1001

13 minutes ago, throwaway1001 said:

Can confirm that this is happening for my colleague (another 1L)

What size firm is this at?

Should we contact the firm to ask what they plan to do if we have not heard from them yet? I don't want to come across as indifferent, but also don't want to seem impatient. 

1 minute ago, honeycrispapple said:

Should we contact the firm to ask what they plan to do if we have not heard from them yet? I don't want to come across as indifferent, but also don't want to seem impatient. 

Have you heard nothing at all, or have you heard that they will keep you updated?

If the former, you should reach out. If the latter, they told you they would keep you updated so they likely will.

• Thanks 1

Just now, easttowest said:

Have you heard nothing at all, or have you heard that they will keep you updated?

If the former, you should reach out. If the latter, they told you they would keep you updated so they likely will.

Nothing at all so far. 

14 minutes ago, honeycrispapple said:

Nothing at all so far. 

How big is the firm? If it's a big firm, they are definitely discussing this. I would be patient. (haven't heard from my firm as well). But if it's a small firm, I'd check in because I'm sure they have a ton of competing demands and may have not gotten to it yet.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, georgecostanzajr said:

How big is the firm? If it's a big firm, they are definitely discussing this. I would be patient. (haven't heard from my firm as well). But if it's a small firm, I'd check in because I'm sure they have a ton of competing demands and may have not gotten to it yet.

I'd say on the bigger side with ~100+ lawyers. Is this considered medium sized? Big? I don't know. 

10 minutes ago, honeycrispapple said:

I'd say on the bigger side with ~100+ lawyers. Is this considered medium sized? Big? I don't know. 

(Assuming this is an OCI-type firm that hired you in the fall) Have they sent you anything about the summer program? Start date, a questionnaire, forms they need you to fill out, etc? If so, just assume things are going ahead normally until you hear otherwise. 

Personally I'm still of the opinion that no news is good news. However I think it is worth following up proactively in situations where, say, you would like your employer to provide a firm update x weeks in advance of your start date so that you can plan out your housing situation, give your current landlord one month's notice if you still have a summer job to relocate for. In that case your email to your employer will contain a detailed explanation of details as to why the matter is particularly time-sensitive for you. Otherwise, I'm not sure asking will make a difference; I'm sure the firms know that we are all waiting and expecting to be updated ASAP on any decisions that will impact us, as soon as those decisions are firmed up.

A large accounting firm let its 2L law students know that, basically, they should be prepared to be broken up with shortly. They have yet to write the Dear John note, though.

• Sad 3