throwaway1001

Summer position during COVID19

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Denning1919 said:

Lol MOST work has increased in securities? You best have some great insider info sweetheart.

yikes

Edited by awsomposum

2 minutes ago, leafs_law said:

Look. Every lawyer knows the sisters are ahead of the game by a mile. And anyone who says different must work at a seriously dustbag firm...

I dont believe that. A lot of students unfortunately do. What these students will realize is that counts for nothing. If you have work ethic, good deal sheet and can bring in clients, you can do or go whatever you want or go wherever you want. Too many students caught up in seven sisters when it's way outdated.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Denning1919 said:

Lol so that makes you the expert? By that logic, I guess if a managing partner or senior partner on Bay joined now, you would have a better leg to stand on?

We're actually quite fortunate to have many Bay lawyers and at least one Bay partner here, as well as a few former Bay lawyers doing other things now. If you care about the goings-on on Bay, we're lucky when they chime in. I choose to believe that they have the experience they say they do because: (1) it would be insane to spend years cultivating a fake, niche internet personality in an obscure part of the internet, and more importantly (2) over time they have become credible.

There is absolutely no need for anybody to reveal their information and basis for it so that we may debate its reliability. It's a goddamn internet forum. Maybe, if you looked into their post history a little bit, you might find that it was likely they know more than you. Your source is a friend who is an articling student. Students generally know fuck all about what's going on. It's possible (likely, actually) that posters here who work on Bay (and work in securities!) know more than your friend.

Edited by easttowest
  • Like 4

To get this thread back on topic...

Heard that a small-mid size firm (that I'm not familiar with so I don't know how to categorized it) has cancelled their student program for the year. They even cleared their website page of mentions of "student".

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Posted (edited)

Just wanted to say I very much appreciate the serious nature and important utility of the original topic and related updates from posters, as I am also anxiously waiting for status updates regarding my summer offer/start date. But I honestly have not laughed this hard since the day classes moved online, thank you everyone who made these past couple of pages an absolute absurdist joy to read :)

Edited by cherrytree
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Denning1919 said:

Lol MOST work has increased in securities? You best have some great insider info sweetheart.

You're a first year law student right? I understand your ego may be a little bruised from all the memes and comebacks being thrown at you (for good reason), but please learn from this moving forward. You're responding to upper year law students and lawyers here. Rashabon is a senior lawyer on Bay Street. Look, to be blunt, you're coming across very childish and I hope this is not how you interact with your peers in law school. Don't worry, whatever firm you end up working at long-term, your picture will eventually be on the website. That's more than I can say for myself; I'm a government lawyer and my picture is not on any site other than the boards I sit on. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, leafs_law said:

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29fb4e2823209408ea7c

I keep watching this and thinking "That's great acting."

Anyway I hope everyone else is handling isolation well. 

23 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

You're a first year law student right? I understand your ego may be a little bruised from all the memes and comebacks being thrown at you (for good reason), but please learn from this moving forward. You're responding to upper year law students and lawyers here. Rashabon is a senior lawyer on Bay Street. Look, to be blunt, you're coming across very childish and I hope this is not how you interact with your peers in law school. Don't worry, whatever firm you end up working at long-term, your picture will eventually be on the website. That's more than I can say for myself; I'm a government lawyer and my picture is not on any site other than the boards I sit on. 

Do you want it to be?

• Haha 2

This discussion is taking a time-out. Do not start another thread on the same topic. This has required too much of the mod team's time and, for god's sake, people, we have other far more important things to do than to referee immature law students. Go read a book, watch season 3 of Ozark on Netflix, take a social-distancing walk, bake a cake, call your mom but, please, for all that's good and holy, grow up!  For you prospective and current law students, please keep in mind that you are interacting here with possible future classmates, colleagues and employers. 

And don't forget to wash your hands!

• Like 13

Reopening this discussion. Let's try to keep it rational and mature. Any repeat of the earlier craziness will result in an extended time-out for the offending members. Thanks to everyone for trying to minimize the amount of moderation that is needed right now.

• Like 3

Sounds like most OCI firms have now moved the start date to June. Fingers are crossed that this will work out.

For those that have been delayed, any chances that you will be paid for the 4 weeks that have been missed?

4 minutes ago, Dgfragus said:

For those that have been delayed, any chances that you will be paid for the 4 weeks that have been missed?

As someone who hasn't officially had their summer start date delayed but probably will, I seriously doubt I will get paid $5000+ to sit at home. Though it would be nice!

• Haha 2

I suspect the start date will simply be postponed along with the end date. If the start date is in June, the end date will be at the end of August. The same time with the same work, just delayed by a month.

5 minutes ago, JohnStuartHobbes said:

I suspect the start date will simply be postponed along with the end date. If the start date is in June, the end date will be at the end of August. The same time with the same work, just delayed by a month.

My thought too, but I don't know why firms would also delay the articling start date if things are back to "normal," and don't know that most firms have room for two classes of students for the month of overlap.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, easttowest said:

My thought too, but I don't know why firms would also delay the articling start date if things are back to "normal," and don't know that most firms have room for two classes of students for the month of overlap.

Good point. FWIW, I heard that Osler's postponement would not affect the end date. The summer term would just be shortened.

• Like 1

If anyone else has any info about how firms that haven't been mentioned yet are handling their summer students, please post. 

• Like 1

I heard that McMillan cancelled their program, but when I followed up with an articling student at McMillan, they said they hadn't heard that was the case. Can anyone confirm?