On 3/26/2020 at 2:28 AM, laststarr said:

they have to admit competent students, indig or not i guess. 

Admitting fairly low stats just because they're indig wouldn't be fair for top law school.

Yea you sound right. I agree with what you just said: UofT admitting students 2/3 based on stats with no references and interviews is a 100% fair way to select competent students. Indigenous people and other minorities who struggled to obtain study supplies is not a problem because if they cannot get the stats they are not competent enough and law school is not a charity. People with high LSAT and GPA are the ones who will be top lawyers in Canada because of the below.

On 3/26/2020 at 3:28 AM, Deadpool said:

Law schools are not charities. They receives thousands of applications for a few hundred seats, and try to strike the right balance between marks and LSAT score (which is an indicator of law school success), and individual profiles

Let us all not blame any school since their admission policies are correct and unquestionable. 

All of these comments are well said, well said. 

4 minutes ago, lawlawlaw777 said:

Yea you sound right. I agree with what you just said: UofT admitting students 2/3 based on stats with no references and interviews is a 100% fair way to select competent students. Indigenous people and other minorities who struggled to obtain study supplies is not a problem because if they cannot get the stats they are not competent enough and law school is not a charity. People with high LSAT and GPA are the ones who will be top lawyers in Canada because of the below.

Let us all not blame any school since their admission policies are correct and unquestionable. 

All of these comments are well said, well said. 

I think you should give UofT more credit for being relatively holistic, as they have admitted a significant number of students with under-average stats over the years. In contrast, UBC until very recently (this cycle) has been a pure index school, strictly admitting most applicants based on GPA and LSAT alone. In practice, the adcom over there would not even read your PS if you were not a discretionary/access applicant. 

Expected to be Rejected but still kinda sad nonetheless. Don't really know why, cause I wouldn't plan on going to UofT anyways even if I got accepted. Maybe it is because it would be empowering to get accepted to the best law school in Canada and turn them down 😄

Stats:

CGPA: 3.81

B3: 3.88

LSAT 160, 161

Rejected on March 21st

2 hours ago, Astro said:

I think you should give UofT more credit for being relatively holistic, as they have admitted a significant number of students with under-average stats over the years. In contrast, UBC until very recently (this cycle) has been a pure index school, strictly admitting most applicants based on GPA and LSAT alone. In practice, the adcom over there would not even read your PS if you were not a discretionary/access applicant. 

You are right, UofT is relatively more holistic than UBC but behind many other schools in Canada. 
TBH I was just trying to show some support to minorities (include race, gender, religion, mental illness and others) on this site. I do believe that the amount of support a student has would impact his/her grades. Ofc not all but many. But seems like some users on this site prefer to just label others who have lower stats (no matter what the reason is) as “incompetent” and tell them to “suck it up because we are not doing charity here” “school admin policies are fair so it’s your fault”. Perhaps I’m wrong. But I just feel like if everyone thinks this way the world is going to burn. I mean, if they are willing to go to this extend to make ppl agree that they are better..... 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 7:54 PM, laststarr said:

is that ur B3 or cgpa?

Idk, I have a UK degree converted by WES. That's my overall GPA so cgpa I guess. 

On 3/28/2020 at 2:05 PM, lawlawlaw777 said:

You are right, UofT is relatively more holistic than UBC but behind many other schools in Canada. 
TBH I was just trying to show some support to minorities (include race, gender, religion, mental illness and others) on this site. I do believe that the amount of support a student has would impact his/her grades. Ofc not all but many. But seems like some users on this site prefer to just label others who have lower stats (no matter what the reason is) as “incompetent” and tell them to “suck it up because we are not doing charity here” “school admin policies are fair so it’s your fault”. Perhaps I’m wrong. But I just feel like if everyone thinks this way the world is going to burn. I mean, if they are willing to go to this extend to make ppl agree that they are better..... 

I don't think everyone thinks that way but at the end of the day stats are the "best" (not only) way to judge the competence of an applicant. Anyone can exaggerate their circumstances and the causal influence that their personal circumstances have had on their grades and/or LSAT score. It's not that hard to put together a convincing story of overcoming hardship while being "disadvantaged" in every way. Beyond that, people can just straight up lie. Adcoms have to go through thousands of applications - I highly doubt that verifiers are being contacted, or that any supplementary research whatsoever is taken to ensure that an applicant's information is accurate. You cannot fake, lie or exaggerate your GPA or LSAT score - and for that reason it makes sense that those are the primary grounds on which admissions are made. 

• Like 4

This isn't the place for this discussion. Please start a new thread or take it to PM. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 5:07 PM, Columbia.Jack said:

Same boat as you, 171 and 3.53 GPA. Looks like UofT is a GPA heavy school.

Hopefully another school see's your potential.

Looks like i'll be heading west.

98th percentile LSAT not enough for UofT? 🙄

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, reckless332 said:

98th percentile LSAT not enough for UofT? 🙄

I was rejected from UofT with a higher LSAT score than that (EDIT - Not this cycle). No score gets you an auto-admit.

Edited by CleanHands