OnlyResident

Waitlisted U of T 2020

2 minutes ago, Pls said:

Copied from the email: The wait list is not ranked, when a space becomes available we select the strongest of the waitlist candidates.

Yes, and again I say, that just because they don't divulge a ranked # doesn't mean that there isn't an internal ranking. How else are they determining the strongest candidate? 

• Thanks 1

Anybody have an idea that how many students are in wait-listed? 100?

1 hour ago, ppzz said:

Anybody have an idea that how many students are in wait-listed? 100?

lol there are 17 people who responded on this thread, so I would assume somewhere between 20-25 given the typical rate of response on this forum? I think it would be safe to assume that people who a) know about this forum and b) are waitlisted are likelier than both rejects and admits to list their status here, given that they (including myself) are generally anxious to gather as much information as possible and stay in the loop. This is just a hunch though

• Thanks 1

Also, in at least one past year, everyone on the waitlist eventually got accepted. There were five of them I think, at least on this forum. Given that all five got accepted, the waitlist was probably actually not that much bigger than five. So I think it should be fairly safe to infer that the waitlists aren't that huge in general

Edited by PolPhil
  • Thanks 1

Especially given the high rate of people who accept their u of t offer it wouldn’t make sense to have a waitlist of 100 people as that would assume/be required if almost 50% of the Total class size declines 

• Thanks 1

I feel this year they are being generous as i checked last year thread, wait-listed people seems being more competitive than me. All of them have LSAT higher than 165, and acceptable CGPA. Maybe because of the COVID-19. 

12 minutes ago, ppzz said:

I feel this year they are being generous as i checked last year thread, wait-listed people seems being more competitive than me. All of them have LSAT higher than 165, and acceptable CGPA. Maybe because of the COVID-19. 

Lots of people are rejected with high stats. High stats are certainly not a unique trait of u of t admits. Especially once you reach a certain threshold they don’t illustrate a significant difference in terms of “how smart/capable” you are. I assume that I made it onto the wait list bc my application was interesting (I don’t have a stellar lsat or gpa) not because they were “being generous”. Also we were waitlisted and most of the acceptances were made prior to COVID really being an issue in Canada. 

Edited by Pls
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2020 at 1:09 PM, Pls said:

The realist in me is now thinking that they just want to know for sure if someone will be able to attend should they offer admission and they end up not receiving government assistance for whatever reason

I think there is a good chance that they may have a larger incoming class size compared to previous years because of COVID, likely to offset the loss in tuition from international students who pay almost $19,000 more than domestic students (last year domestic students paid $33,040 vs. international students paying $51,730). If this is true, more people would be accepted off of the waitlist than usual. This is just a guess though! And I agree with Pls for why they sent the email. They wouldn't want to accept someone off of the waitlist that is not interested in attending (and/or cannot pay for) law school this Fall, as it would defeat the purpose of them accepting more students to offset their losses (if this is their intention). 

Just a thought, can they really discriminate based on our answer to number 5? It just seems wrong if they were to deny someone a spot because they applied for government assistance

2 hours ago, lucus3245 said:

Just a thought, can they really discriminate based on our answer to number 5? It just seems wrong if they were to deny someone a spot because they applied for government assistance

Not sure... I’m only skeptical bc I just don’t understand why it’s relevant to them 

11 hours ago, elee333 said:

I think there is a good chance that they may have a larger incoming class size compared to previous years because of COVID, likely to offset the loss in tuition from international students who pay almost $19,000 more than domestic students (last year domestic students paid $33,040 vs. international students paying $51,730). If this is true, more people would be accepted off of the waitlist than usual. This is just a guess though! And I agree with Pls for why they sent the email. They wouldn't want to accept someone off of the waitlist that is not interested in attending (and/or cannot pay for) law school this Fall, as it would defeat the purpose of them accepting more students to offset their losses (if this is their intention). 

The amount of money involved is negligible and I don't think they will take that into account when making a decision on admission.

39 minutes ago, ossihlikesblue said:

I got a call two hours ago (that I missed) but the voicemail let me know that they're offering me a spot!

Congrats! Prob a dumb question, but are you accepting? Also, when do you have to respond by?

2 minutes ago, Pls said:

Congrats! Prob a dumb question, but are you accepting? Also, when do you have to respond by?

Thanks! It's actually not a dumb question! I don't think I am so that should hopefully open up a spot for someone else. They said I have until June 7th to accept and to make the deposit.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pls said:

10/10 question!

• Like 1

Just now, ossihlikesblue said:

Thanks! It's actually not a dumb question! I don't think I am so that should hopefully open up a spot for someone else. They said I have until June 7th to accept and to make the deposit.

Thank you for giving us some more hope. All the best to you! 

• Like 3

Got accepted u of t got call with offer two hours back!! Feeling blessed and grateful!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Yaziz said:

Got accepted u of t got call with offer two hours back!! Feeling blessed and grateful!!

Congrats. 

2 hours ago, ossihlikesblue said:

I got a call two hours ago (that I missed) but the voicemail let me know that they're offering me a spot!

Congrats.