OnlyResident

Waitlisted U of T 2020

Last year looks like it was May 

1 hour ago, Pls said:

Last year looks like it was May 

According to the admissions people, the waves come after the April 1st and May 1st deadlines. I'd assume there's also some movement after the July 1st final deadline.

It's possible that last year not enough open spots opened up after April 1st for them to accept anyone in mid-April. It's also possible that they did accept people who just didn't post on this forum.

Anyone have any idea if there has been/when there will be any movement with the waitlist? 

Typically, very few get in off the U of T waitlist. This year, who knows.

9 minutes ago, SamSam1995 said:

Admissions emailed me yesterday saying none got in from waitlist yet. 

Did they say whether there is room/any would??

4 minutes ago, Pls said:

Did they say whether there is room/any would??

Nope, nothing in that manner. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Pls said:

Anyone have any idea if there has been/when there will be any movement with the waitlist? 

The facebook group currently has 221 accepted students. If 15-20 students between now and, say, July, decide to accept an offer elsewhere (likeliest at an American school) or defer, then there should be some waitlist movement, since the entering class is typically between 205-210 students

We should also take into account that some of the international students might not be able to make it out for their 1L, leading to some deferrals. Looks like international students make up 7-10% of the entering class

Edited by PolPhil
  • Like 1

Same. Does question 5 not seem odd? If they aren’t going to hold loans against you why would they ask? 

Posted (edited)

They're probably seeing who on the waitlist is still interested AND can commit to the fall (with regards to the can you make a deposit asap question), and they have a few spots that they can offer.

I'm not sure what the student loans question is about.

Edited by ossihlikesblue

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, ossihlikesblue said:

I'm not sure what the student loans question is about.

Who can say..? The optimist in me thinks maybe they're going to offer small bursaries to those who have indicated some degree of financial need. The much louder pessimist in me thinks that those who don't need financial assistance (definitely not me) are the safer bet for them to give an offer of admission. 

All I know is that I'm still interested, and responded honestly to their questions.

Edited by HuggyBear

1 minute ago, HuggyBear said:

Who can say..? The optimist in me thinks maybe they're going to offer small bursaries to those who have indicated some degree of financial need. The much louder pessimist in me thinks that those who don't need financial assistance (definitely not me) are the safer bet for them to give an offer of admission. 

All I know is that I'm still interested, and responded honestly to their questions.

The realist in me is now thinking that they just want to know for sure if someone will be able to attend should they offer admission and they end up not receiving government assistance for whatever reason

Received the email as well. Is this something that everyone receives? I haven't seen any mention of it in past cycles.

10 minutes ago, lucus3245 said:

Received the email as well. Is this something that everyone receives? I haven't seen any mention of it in past cycles.

It seems that in past cycles people on the waitlist got in earlier than now, so maybe at this point they want to reconfirm interest (especially since deposits for other schools are near approaching). Also, perhaps due to COVID, they want to ensure that those who they are accepting will actually attend (which is why they asked if we have accepted elsewhere, been granted a deferral, and can pay). They probably only want to accept people who have a clear interest in starting law school in 2020 (And thus haven’t asked for deferrals elsewhere). 

They replied my LOI e-mail said the wait-listed is not ranked, but they would select the strongest of the wait-listed candidates. I am no sure what this strongest mean? soft skill?

U of T does not release a ranked waitlist but that doesn't mean that it isn't internally ranked, like some other schools.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

U of T does not release a ranked waitlist but that doesn't mean that it isn't internally ranked, like some other schools.

Copied from the email: The wait list is not ranked, when a space becomes available we select the strongest of the waitlist candidates.

1 minute ago, Pls said:

Copied from the email: The wait list is not ranked, when a space becomes available we select the strongest of the waitlist candidates.

Unless they said they said they randomly pick the candidates from a box, otherwise there is a ranked waitlist but only they know the ranking......