Sign in to follow this  
ottawhat

Articling during COVID-19 shutdown

Does anyone know how long of an abridgment the Law society would consider in Ontario? Their site says 6 weeks but what do you do if your are going to be laid off and need more time?

On 3/27/2020 at 1:52 PM, Gandhi said:

I would gladly support this and would love to help in any way to get the ball rolling.

I'd be down for that! There should be some sort of alternative for articling students.

That'd be nice lol but I doubt that. I think 4 months is practical because lpp students only have a 4 month placement I believe (?)

23 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Can I get a 10 month abridgment if my employers backs out?*

*semi serious.

2 minutes ago, honeybear said:

That'd be nice lol but I doubt that. I think 4 months is practical because lpp students only have a 4 month placement I believe (?)

They really should just make the onus more heavy on the employer who backs out.

You want to back out? Sure. But you need to do more than something vague like "help the student find another position, and make clear to interviewers that the student lost the position through no fault of their own" (paraphrased).

Maybe for every week the employer can't get you an interview/job of a similar quality of training and pay, the law society pays half of your would be wages from your original contract while the original employer covers the rest.

Would be nice. But I guess I'm in dream land.

21 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

They really should just make the onus more heavy on the employer who backs out.

You want to back out? Sure. But you need to do more than something vague like "help the student find another position, and make clear to interviewers that the student lost the position through no fault of their own" (paraphrased).

Maybe for every week the employer can't get you an interview/job of a similar quality of training and pay, the law society pays half of your would be wages from your original contract while the original employer covers the rest.

Would be nice. But I guess I'm in dream land.

My understanding is if you have signed an articling contract, then when the principal backs out, the principal does have a duty to assist you with finding another job. Verbal offers are a bit more gray. 

4 minutes ago, hmyo said:

My understanding is if you have signed an articling contract, then when the principal backs out, the principal does have a duty to assist you with finding another job. Verbal offers are a bit more gray. 

I know. I quoted the duty and still think the duty should be more onerous, for cases of bad faith principals.

31 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

I know. I quoted the duty and still think the duty should be more onerous, for cases of bad faith principals.

It's definitely stressful until ink meets paper. But hey, that's how it goes right? There are so many law students seeking jobs. 

Heard back from the LSO on my request for abridgement. They approved me for 6 weeks, leaving me 4 weeks short of completing articles. I guess we will see what the landscape of work is over the next few weeks. 

9 minutes ago, ottawhat said:

Heard back from the LSO on my request for abridgement. They approved me for 6 weeks, leaving me 4 weeks short of completing articles. I guess we will see what the landscape of work is over the next few weeks. 

This is insane. I hope they get their heads out of their ass and announce some things that make more sense in the next few days.

3 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Maybe for every week the employer can't get you an interview/job of a similar quality of training and pay, the law society pays half of your would be wages from your original contract

Where is this money coming from? Should our fees be increased to be even more unreasonable?

7 minutes ago, georgecostanzajr said:

Where is this money coming from? Should our fees be increased to be even more unreasonable?

No. fees from lawyers should cover it as a back pay. And of course those should be based on income level.

Yes, I believe those with more should support those with less.

Edited by pzabbythesecond

The LSO has just announced they are cancelling ALL  June Call ceremonies and postponing the bar exam. Sign our petition for the LSO to POSTPONE JUNE call to the bar ceremonies instead of straight cancelling them:  http://chng.it/hTYpXTQ5yV 

Please share with others if you care:)

Edited by DanielleN
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

For future reference, are you required to attend call to the bar or is it like graduation where you can skip?

Normally you have to attend, but this June they are making it administrative. Who knows it it will stick.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoffeeandLaw said:

Normally you have to attend, but this June they are making it administrative. Who knows it it will stick.

I hope it doesn't.