Sign in to follow this  
SamBee

Summer before starting 1L at UVIC

Posted (edited)

Hey all! I got the call on the 11th--I start this fall! :)

While we all nervously wait for the first day, any ideas on how to spend the summer before law school starts?

Edited by SamBee

Congratulations!

Relax.

Find a place to live.

Enjoy the summer.

Relax.

There's no reason to spend it doing anything else (and whatever you do, don't try to find ways to get ahead on your class work. It will only lead to even sooner burnout, and won't do you any good in class).

• Like 2

I would advise travelling to Jamaica or something, but this COVID situation has ruined that possibility. it would have been really nice to go on vacation prior to starting 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jatthopefullawyer said:

I would advise travelling to Jamaica or something, but this COVID situation has ruined that possibility. it would have been really nice to go on vacation prior to starting 

I’m with you. Have tickets to Bali I doubt I’ll be able to cash in. A mild inconvenience in the grand scheme, but an inconvenience nonetheless!

• Like 2

Congratulations! I'm starting this September as well and I'm very excited, but I'm also planning to enjoy my summer. I'm going to spending my summer working, but I have a lot of camping and hiking trips planned and I'm hiking the West Coast Trail right before school starts. Enjoy your summer and see you in September :)

• Like 1

Literally do anything as long as:

1. You enjoy it

2. It's not related to law

• Like 1

Thanks people! I figured I'd be recommended a huge dose of chill-pill. 

I plan on enjoying my time before class starts: definitely gonna read Toni Morrison's 'Beloved' or some Thomas King or some Plato! And, of course, safely fuckin' party! 

If any of you are in Victoria and would like to grab a cup of coffee before class, gimme a shout! Always happy to make friends! :) 

While I trust we will all survive (playing the odds), I think a lot of us will have some interesting logistical challenges in researching and arranging our moves to Victoria during the pandemic. Not as easy to pop over for a week first to do viewings of apartments, etc. And how easy will it be to plan cross-country drives/arrange movers, etc? Try "I'm a 1L, so I'm an essential service."

Anyway, at least we've got 5 months still to figure it out! And perhaps longer if first semester is online....

-GM

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2020 at 5:13 PM, jatthopefullawyer said:

I would advise travelling to Jamaica

I was planning on traveling to Australia from May to June before Law School starts, but the pandemic happened. So, that's not happening.  

1 hour ago, GrumpyMountie said:

perhaps longer if first semester is online....

Please god, no. Anything but that.  

Edited by robobrain