dinkleberg

Where do Uvic law graduates end up working?

Hi there!

I was wondering if you had any information (anecdotal is okay too) on where UVic law students go to practice. The Vancouver job market is not as big as Toronto and BC also has UBC and TRU- is it difficult for UVic students to find placements in their 2L summer and articling? 

Thanks

Vancouver and Victoria generally same as UBC, UVic has good placement. TRU is weaker than either. 

Vancouver would likely be the single biggest market, with substantial numbers in Calgary and Victoria. Some will head out east, or to smaller cities. UVic students generally have excellent prospects, (especially for summer work, due to the unique opportunities of the co-op program, although some people do restrict that to just one summer)

33 minutes ago, Mal said:

Vancouver and Victoria generally same as UBC, UVic has good placement. TRU is weaker than either. 

This might be a tangent.. but just how weak is TRU? Haven't heard much on their placement since its start in 2016. Is it really that bad? 

Thank you for your responses!

In regards to the co-op program- do large firms post in the co-op portal? or do they generally stick to the usual OCI recruitment process? 

I've never seen a big law reference in co-op listings - they wouldn't really need to.

A sample of recent postings made available to all students: Government of NWT, BC Ministry of Finance, West Coast LEAF, Victory Square Law Office, Vancouver Island Human Rights Coalition, City of Merritt, Yukon Department of Justice, Environment & Climate Change Canada.

Overall, I'd say it's more government jobs than any other sector, with a good sampling of small firms and occasional international.

On 3/13/2020 at 8:09 PM, gorgonzola said:

This might be a tangent.. but just how weak is TRU? Haven't heard much on their placement since its start in 2016. Is it really that bad? 

Last year ~25% of students landed jobs through Vancouver OCIs, out of ~110 students. We also have Interior BC OCIs that a number of other students secured positions through, firms like Fulton & Co, Morelli Chertkow, Rush Ihas Hardwick, etc.. ~25% of students go to Calgary/Edmonton after graduation, but I'm not sure how many of those are through OCIs. 

In any case, 96% of TRU students have articles lined up before graduating.

3 hours ago, canuckfanatic said:

Last year ~25% of students landed jobs through Vancouver OCIs, out of ~110 students. We also have Interior BC OCIs that a number of other students secured positions through, firms like Fulton & Co, Morelli Chertkow, Rush Ihas Hardwick, etc.. ~25% of students go to Calgary/Edmonton after graduation, but I'm not sure how many of those are through OCIs. 

In any case, 96% of TRU students have articles lined up before graduating.

I mean, the ~25% of 110 students is severely misleading because not all 110 students applied for OCIs. In fact, I'd venture that only around half of last year's 2L class did, if not less. 

Edited by nrrrvous
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, nrrrvous said:

I mean, the ~25% of 110 students is severely misleading because not all 110 students applied for OCIs. In fact, I'd venture that only around half of last year's 2L class did, if not less.

You're right! It isn't accurate to refer to the proportion like that. Unfortunately though, schools tend to use that proportion as a metric of success. Even on this forum, people's "rankings" of law schools seem to coincide with which schools secure the most Toronto OCI positions.