Sign in to follow this  
nawlyer

Facebook group for Class of 2023

Hello everyone, 

Those who have accepted the offer from Ryerson, please join our FB- Ryerson University Law Inaugural Class of 2023 !

Looking forward to starting the program with you all!

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• I'm sure this is true in some cases, but I hear this and wonder if the person is either lying to me or is just incapable of making good decisions. Would be more productive to say they couldn't get admitted in Canada but were still very interested in a legal career.
    • Hmmm. I wonder is that means that Edmonton is less competitive in a way? I know a few people from Bond who are working as they normally would. Similar road as any other person with an international degree. Although all three are working at private firms, no big firms.  I have also heard that local people get precedent. Chatting on this thread again just makes me happy I wrote the lsat and am going the normal route. Although everyone's path is different.   
    • I don't really know about the variance in culture, but it's possible that more rural locations might be getting more local applicants, whereas the bigger cities are getting applicants from all across Canada. If your firm is getting applicants from all of the "top" Canadian law schools, someone who went to Bond probably starts off lower down the rankings during recruitment. Whereas a smaller town might have had the vast majority of its applicants go to local law school X.  I love the Gold Coast and wish I had gone to school there, but I've had about a half dozen friends go to law school at Bond and they all went because they couldn't get into a Canadian law school, so the assumption that employers make isn't without merit. All of my friends have had a tough time finding employment after they've returned to Vancouver, and their job outcomes have ranged from articling at small firms in the suburbs to doing an LLM at UBC to make themselves more competitive for bigger firms to being hired as a contract lawyer by a large firm.
    • Thanks for the comment! I asked a friend in Calgary and she said the same thing as you! So potentially they feel the same in Calgary. Do you think there is a variance in culture maybe? It would be interesting to see what the response is in Saskatoon for example. Or even more rural where it might be less competitive.  I've definitely heard it described as a "backdoor" way of going to law school. Although, it's more work so not really sure it it is worth it. But I know some people just go because they want to live in Australia and don't mind tacking on the extra time. Expensive though.   
    • Hello, everyone in BC please email Law Society (Member Services) if you have been affected due to COVID-19, I have sent them 3 emails till now, and haven't received a reply. Please email them so they take some kind of action.