Sign in to follow this  
law552

1L/2L Summer student salaries

Hahahahahhahahahahahahahha

EDIT: There is none, it varies wildly depending on market, firm, practice area.

Edited by Draken

You're going to have to be more specific. It ranges from nothing to around $2000 a week at certain Toronto firms.

Edited by chaboywb

33 minutes ago, student0033 said:

Ive seen as low as $0/week and as high as $1900/week.

I can understand a student having to take an unpaid articling job because they have no other options but it's much harder to comprehend as a 1L or even 2L summer position. If anyone is in their position where the only "law" summer job they can get is an unpaid one then they're much better just doing a non-law job for the summer instead of being exploited.

25 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

I can understand a student having to take an unpaid articling job because they have no other options but it's much harder to comprehend as a 1L or even 2L summer position. If anyone is in their position where the only "law" summer job they can get is an unpaid one then they're much better just doing a non-law job for the summer instead of being exploited.

The summer position could be in an area of law they want to practice. Many students take RA positions that only pays minimum wage. Having a non-law job in 1L is fine but come articling recruit, many employers do ask if you have a legal job - whether it is working as an RA, legal clinic, small firm, NGO, etc. I'd much rather take a 4 month unpaid internship during the summer as a law student, than a 10 month unpaid articling position after graduating from law school. The latter is a case of massive exploitation which the law society has determined to get rid of by 2021. 

Edit: Also, the Ryerson LPP is a viable alternative if your only option to get called to the bar is unpaid articles because as I understand it from conversations I've had with people in the program, most of their placements are paid.

Edited by Deadpool
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

I think you have this, uh, exactly backwards. 

Slaving away for 10 months as an almost-lawyer is unconscionable. 

Doing an unpaid 3-4 month internship to get experience while a law student can make a lot of sense.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

The summer position could be in an area of law they want to practice. Many students take RA positions that only pays minimum wage. Having a non-law job in 1L is fine but come articling recruit, many employers do ask if you have a legal job - whether it is working as an RA, legal clinic, small firm, NGO, etc. I'd much rather take a 4 month unpaid internship during the summer as a law student, than a 10 month unpaid articling position after graduating from law school. The latter is a case of massive exploitation which the law society has determined to get rid of by 2021. 

Edit: Also, the Ryerson LPP is a viable alternative if your only option to get called to the bar is unpaid articles because as I understand it from conversations I've had with people in the program, most of their placements are paid.

If the only reason to take on an unpaid summer job is to gain experience then the issue becomes what the student already has on their resume. If the student has been able to gain legal experience as part of a clinic during the school year then they needn't take on an unpaid job just to get legal experience.

1 minute ago, BringBackCrunchBerries said:

I think you have this, uh, exactly backwards. 

Slaving away for 10 months as an almost-lawyer is unconscionable. 

Doing an unpaid 3-4 month internship to get experience while a law student can make a lot of sense.

The way I see it if you're in a position where you have to accept an unpaid articling offer it means you've literally exhausted all other job opportunities and thus have no alternative means to article. 

On the other hand, for a 1L or 2L summer, the situation is not nearly as desperate and so the student will have other options besides taking on an unpaid summer law job.  However, as I said in response to the other poster, I can see a case being made for taking an unpaid 2L summer job if the student does not already have any sort of legal experience on their resume.  But for a 1L summer you certainly shouldn't be so desperate for legal experience so as to need to take an unpaid law job. Lots of people did non-law jobs for their 1L summers and have great 2L jobs lined up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

... But for a 1L summer you certainly shouldn't be so desperate for legal experience so as to need to take an unpaid law job. Lots of people did non-law jobs for their 1L summers and have great 2L jobs lined up.

This part can be true, sure. Minimum wage job vs. volunteer 1L thing can be the decision. Either side can make sense for certain people. 

Still, you said "... it's much harder to comprehend as a 1L or even 2L summer position." It's easy to comprehend! Just try. [You have now tried, I see.]

I think it all comes down to your personal situation.

For myself, there is no way that I would be able to accept an unpaid position, be it a 1L summer position or articling position. I would not be able to afford my mortgage payments and I would not be able to support my family.

Perhaps if you are in a position where you do not need your own income to support yourself, an unpaid position would be more viable.

I took an unpaid 1L internship and don’t regret it. It gave me a ton of valid legal experience which I was able to speak to during OCIs. I appreciate that not everyone can afford this but I wouldn’t turn up my nose at an unpaid opportunity so long as it’s a good learning experience. 

I must also say that I felt comfortable with the arrangement because it was a legal clinic with limited funds. I am far less forgiving of a for-profit firm that refuses to pay even minimum wage.