Cactus

Dean's Breakfast

I am considering going but how important is this thing? Is it more like an information session for people who are undecided on schools? I know for sure I will be going to UVic this fall so if that's the case I might just skip it. I also live far in the suburbs so I'd have to wake up super early and commute downtown in rush hour traffic+skip work, which I don't know if it's worth it for a 1.5 hour event.

My only real concern is missing an opportunity to meet my future classmates. But again I am getting the impression this thing is more sitting at a table and listening to speeches (correct me if I'm wrong), and not so much getting to know your peers. I feel like a facebook group/meetups/orientation would be the better place to serve those purposes. Not to mention I think a good chunk of the offers haven't gone out yet so IDK!

Can any current students share their experiences if it is worth going?

Are any of you guys attending?

It's not important. There's usually a meetup planned in the summer, I would recommend you go to that one since it's more informal, you can talk to current students, and at that point most people have committed to UVic anyway. It's a nice event and our Dean is amazing, but you won't lose anything at all by not going and you shouldn't skip work for it.

• Like 2

I'm assuming, since you didn't specify, that you live in Victoria? Just pointing out that these breakfasts are happening in several different cities, which suggests that they are indeed mostly marketing/recruiting for undecided students. That's not a bad thing, of course, and I'm still hoping to go to the one in my nearest city, but yeah, it's unlikely that you'd be meeting a huge number of your actual classmates, I would think. Wouldn't worry about it!

Seeya maybe in the fall,

-GM

• Like 1

I’m thinking of going to the one in Vancouver. I was hoping to make up my mind between UBC and UVIC by then but it looks like it’ll be a last minute decision. Perhaps going to this breakfast and the equivalent event at Allard will help to sway one way or the other...

• Like 2

I'm considering going to the one in Toronto, but I'm in the same boat. I'd have to commute an hour and a half to get downtown and I'd have to skip out on work for it. I've already decided to accept, but wanted the chance to meet people especially since I don't know if I could get to any summer meet ups that are in Victoria. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lawfacade123 said:

I'm considering going to the one in Toronto, but I'm in the same boat. I'd have to commute an hour and a half to get downtown and I'd have to skip out on work for it. I've already decided to accept, but wanted the chance to meet people especially since I don't know if I could get to any summer meet ups that are in Victoria. 

Yeah exactly, I am guessing there will be meetups in other cities too though? It would be strange if they were only in Victoria

3 hours ago, Cactus said:

Yeah exactly, I am guessing there will be meetups in other cities too though? It would be strange if they were only in Victoria

Hopefully! 

I think I'm just going to go to the breakfast honestly. I guess it's not that important to go, but it seems like it could be a cool opportunity to meet faculty/potential classmates. 

I confirmed this morning that I'll be attending the one in Calgary. :)

Anyone else heading to the YYC event?

-GM