Ono2012

Need Advice Please!

I recently left my last job (resigned voluntarily) and I am getting married in the summer (June 2020) overseas and need a month off to attend my partner's hometown and have the ceremony there. I recently received an offer from a reputable firm but once I informed them about my travel plans and requiring a month off, the firm withdrew their offer. 

At this point in time, I am wondering whether I should continue to look for a job (and possibly face another offer withdrawal) or whether I should pause the job search until I come back from overseas?

I am very concerned about a gap on my resume for 7 months. 

Any advice would help! 

I think there's no harm in continuing the job search, but I think you should be up front about your travel plans before it gets to the offer stage. It's too bad that firm pulled their offer, but telling the next firm early in the process could save everyone a lot of time. Besides, the closer you get to the date, you could possibly have the flexibility of suggesting to delay your start until you get back, if the firm thought that would work and didn't need to fill the role immediately. 

Thank you @easttowest. I have been receiving conflicting advice about when to advise the firm about the travel plans. Some have even suggested not telling the firm until a month before the travel dates but that is not my style and I choose transparency.

10 minutes ago, Ono2012 said:

Thank you @easttowest. I have been receiving conflicting advice about when to advise the firm about the travel plans. Some have even suggested not telling the firm until a month before the travel dates but that is not my style and I choose transparency.

This seems like bad advice, unless you want to get "resigned involuntarily" from your new job. It's not like you have a protected employment right to take a month off to get married.

If you're up front about it you might end up securing a position with a start date in July and the gap will be irrelevant. 

If you need money in the interim, I've heard horrible things about Uber Eats. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ono2012 said:

Giving a firm one month's notice of taking a month off is a horrible idea - even if you have that much vacation time, it would be throwing them something they'd need to compensate for without much time. And, I mean would the person suggesting that just be filling their calendar in that time with appointments they knew they had no intention of keeping, or would their boss just come in one day and ask "sooooo... why is there literally nothing in your diary but just for June?"

If you've decided that you really do need to take a month to have a wedding this summer, that's kindof saying that you don't want new permanent employment this spring. Perhaps you could pick up short-term contracts, or be looking to provide freelance capacity to others in the interim? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ono2012 said:

This is very bad advice and should not be followed. You would be starting off a career on the absolute wrong foot if you do this. The employer will obviously be aware that you knew when you were getting married and that you wanted this time off. If you don't tell them, that shows very poor judgment. It's likely that most employers are not going to allow for a month off shortly after starting. The advice to mention this during the interview process is good, and if an employer is interested in hiring you, they may be willing to hold the spot until you get back. 

52 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

This is very bad advice and should not be followed. You would be starting off a career on the absolute wrong foot if you do this. The employer will obviously be aware that you knew when you were getting married and that you wanted this time off. If you don't tell them, that shows very poor judgment. It's likely that most employers are not going to allow for a month off shortly after starting. The advice to mention this during the interview process is good, and if an employer is interested in hiring you, they may be willing to hold the spot until you get back. 

I absolutely agree with you. That is why I am being upfront and transparent about the time I need off. If I were an employer and an employee did that, it would a dealbreaker for me. 

Pause the job hunt until you're back. I'm a headhunter currently, and a 7 month gap in employment doesn't phase me and usually doesn't bother employers. It's only when you start getting past 2-3 years that people start to care. People travel or take breaks all the time. It's not a big deal. Just tell an employer why the gap exists in your cover letter or during an interview. Absolutely do not take a job for a month and then quit, that's just unnecessarily burning bridges.