Toby1994

Monica Whyte LSAT prep at York

On 2/27/2020 at 3:22 PM, lolnope said:

I also recommend HarvardReady. Yoni's down-to-earth, and definitely knows how to tackle the LSAT. I placed within the 99th percentile thanks to him. That being said, don't expect to see a significant boost without actually doing the homework, official Prep Tests, or self-studying with other LSAT prep material. There were many students in my class who, quite frankly, were naive enough to believe that going to class alone was good enough and I'm sure they didn't do well at all on the final in-class prep LSAT.

2 hours ago, AllanRC said:

I enrolled in some of the first classes offered by HarvardReady nearly a decade ago. Can confirm, Yoni knows what he’s doing!

That said, while mastery of the LSAT is a necessary component of being a good instructor/tutor, it is not at all the most important thing! When vetting prospective tutors, it is incredibly important that the student gets a sense of a tutor’s style / general way of reasoning; or at the very least, the student needs to know that they can appreciate the tutor’s way of thinking about things.

This is crucial because it doesn’t matter how well a tutor knows the material / can reason through it themselves if they can’t impart that wisdom onto their student. And it is very hard to do that if a student and tutor think very differently!

In general, I would recommend requesting a 15-minute consult before signing up for a session (most tutors / prep companies will oblige), and then if you feel comfortable, go for a single session. If you feel that you and the tutor connect, feel free to dive in and sign up for more! Usually packs of sessions get discounted as you buy more upfront (but don’t do this until you are sure you and the tutor are on the same wavelength).

Best of luck!

On 2/27/2020 at 7:22 AM, HopefulLawyer97 said:

Better off with Yoni from Harvard Ready. Best value and also the best teacher you’ll find in Toronto. Free retake policy for the class as well. My score improved 11 points after reading through all the Powerscore books. Highly recommend. 

Sorry to hijack this thread but are you guys referring to the group tutoring classes  or private individual tutoring hours? Is one better than the other? 

• Like 1

Also, for anyone considering Princeton Review, I’ve heard pretty bad things from my friends. Some of the people I met at Harvard Ready did Princeton Review first and it didn’t help them much. So before you drop $1200-$1500 on a course, make sure you do your research. 

Weird comparison, but if you watched Karate Kid, Yoni teaches the LSAT like Mr. Miyagi teaches karate...slightly unconventional and a bit different from other LSAT courses, but it works. The first few lessons are just focused on getting the fundamentals down, like necessary and sufficient conditions. Some of these exercises are actually HARDER than the actual LSAT questions, so once you get to real LR questions for instance, it’s a breeze. Changed my entire perspective of the test, even after reading Powerscore, LSAT trainer, etc. It also helps to have in person training because it allows you to ask questions and study in a class with 10 people who are basically in the same position as you. Bottom line: if you do Harvard Ready, go to all the classes, do all the in class diagnostics and do your homework, 160+ is easily attainable. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ontario said:

Sorry to hijack this thread but are you guys referring to the group tutoring classes  or private individual tutoring hours? Is one better than the other? 

It is not a one size fits all! What is best for one student may not be so for another and the relative utility of a class versus tutoring pack will vary greatly depending on the person.

That said, in my experience if you can’t identify what specific areas you need help with (other than entire sections), tutoring basically becomes a very expensive class. In which case the dollar per hour is much better value in a class setting. However, if you already have a solid grasp of the fundamentals then tutoring can be much more efficient because you can drill certain areas without having to wade through copious amounts of class material you are already comfortable with.

It is also worth noting that some people really do enjoy learning in a classroom environment. It is not necessarily the instructor so much as one’s peers that facilitate their learning via discussion inside and outside of class. Unfortunately, not every student takes advantage of this 😟

Let me know if there are any other questions!

Full Disclosure: I am an instructor at HarvardReady. And I took the course during its incubation period but upon reflection, given my level of understanding I had prior to the course (I had studied with PowerScore for several months in advance) I would have gone the tutoring route.   

• Like 2

On 2/27/2020 at 4:25 PM, student0033 said:

If you've thrown in the towel for the LSAT, do not fear. Monica Whyte also offers personal fitness training.

https://www.monicawhyte.com/about.html

To be fair to Monica Whyte I would like to point out that her bio there says she was a lawyer for 20 years, so if true @Ladybug8712's finding that she didn't graduate from Osgoode in the past 10 years wouldn't make her a fraud.

(I still wouldn't hire her for other reasons outlined, including the fact that her advertised LSAT score was worse than mine and I wouldn't consider myself qualified to instruct anyone).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CleanHands said:

To be fair to Monica Whyte I would like to point out that her bio there says she was a lawyer for 20 years, so if true @Ladybug8712's finding that she didn't graduate from Osgoode in the past 10 years wouldn't make her a fraud.

(I still wouldn't hire her for other reasons outlined, including the fact that her advertised LSAT score was worse than mine and I wouldn't consider myself qualified to instruct anyone).

Good point. I guess it would come down to "how much has the LSAT changed in the past 20 years?" and "is it worth $1200 to learn from an instructor who received a score of 168 prior to 1999?"

• Like 3

On 2/28/2020 at 1:44 PM, AllanRC said:

I enrolled in some of the first classes offered by HarvardReady nearly a decade ago. Can confirm, Yoni knows what he’s doing!

That said, while mastery of the LSAT is a necessary component of being a good instructor/tutor, it is not at all the most important thing! When vetting prospective tutors, it is incredibly important that the student gets a sense of a tutor’s style / general way of reasoning; or at the very least, the student needs to know that they can appreciate the tutor’s way of thinking about things.

This is crucial because it doesn’t matter how well a tutor knows the material / can reason through it themselves if they can’t impart that wisdom onto their student. And it is very hard to do that if a student and tutor think very differently!

In general, I would recommend requesting a 15-minute consult before signing up for a session (most tutors / prep companies will oblige), and then if you feel comfortable, go for a single session. If you feel that you and the tutor connect, feel free to dive in and sign up for more! Usually packs of sessions get discounted as you buy more upfront (but don’t do this until you are sure you and the tutor are on the same wavelength).

Best of luck!

I second this, but I am the third instructor at HarvardReady, Yoni, Allan, and myself are happy to answer any questions you have about the LSAT, or the course.

-I

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is not the same Monica Whyte as https://www.monicawhyte.com/about.html

I enrolled in classes with Monica Whyte last year at York. I subsequently scored 162 and got into Osgoode. Yes it's expensive and no it's not a silver bullet. Also, she designed her classes to be academic and challenging (similar to the environment in my current law classes). So, don't expect a fun or relaxed experience; prepare yourself to be serious and hardworking. There's no sure fire way to get a good score. I realized I needed tutoring because I wasn't getting better with self studying only. Although I didn't stop practicing myself after studying with Monica. I practiced even harder, but I had a new level of understanding so I got more answers correct. I didn't take any other classes or other online class so I have no point of comparison. 

All and all, I can vouch for Monica that she's the real deal. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 11:36 AM, pulletluck said:

This is not the same Monica Whyte as https://www.monicawhyte.com/about.html

I enrolled in classes with Monica Whyte last year at York. I subsequently scored 162 and got into Osgoode. Yes it's expensive and no it's not a silver bullet. Also, she designed her classes to be academic and challenging (similar to the environment in my current law classes). So, don't expect a fun or relaxed experience; prepare yourself to be serious and hardworking. There's no sure fire way to get a good score. I realized I needed tutoring because I wasn't getting better with self studying only. Although I didn't stop practicing myself after studying with Monica. I practiced even harder, but I had a new level of understanding so I got more answers correct. I didn't take any other classes or other online class so I have no point of comparison. 

All and all, I can vouch for Monica that she's the real deal. 

Nice try Monica. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

Took her course. I learned a little bit but ended up switching to Yoni at Harvard Ready. Yoni actually gets to know each student and motivates them based on their individual needs. Monica is not a bad alternative but her course is more rushed and expects you to just learn on your own as most of her course is dependant on practice tests. 10/10 recommend Yoni, Monica maybe a generous 6.

• Like 1

I will recommend 7Sage with J.Y. Ping.

This is a video based course available for $69.99 USD monthly.

It is not an in person tutoring course. You basically watch all his instructional videos, do LSAT PrepTests, Blind review, listen to his videos advice about how he got to the right answer, rinse repeat.

Very helpful actually, and you can do it from anywhere.

• Like 1

I had been using Seven Sage for months and could only achieve a 147 score when I wrote the LSAT. I was pretty desperate and started to feel that I was not going to make it into law school no matter how hard I tried. I saw a bunch of those posters of Monica Whyte at York, and I grabbed one off of the wall and thought this woman is going to save me. I took her classes and scored a 158. So I jumped 11 points.

I received an offer from Western and took it.

Without a doubt, there is no way that I would be at law school without Monica. She was the necessary condition that made it possible for me to actually get into law school, and I owe her everything. Monica’s instructions are academic and philosophy-based. Her explanation of necessary and sufficient is mind-blowing, especially when she uses everyday examples. I think that none of us will forget her simple but effective example of how bananas are necessary to make banana bread.

I realized that I was studying for the LSAT all wrong by using prep companies and that the only way to learn this material correctly is by going to a professor and that’s what Monica Whyte is. I give her classes and instructions 11 out of 10. Not to mention that she gives her students a ton of free time because she gives a damn about all of her students even the ones who don’t acknowledge it. I must have called her almost everyday to get extra homework help, and she always made the time. Nobody can deny that.

If you want a professor, then go to Monica Whyte.

If you want shortcuts and want someone to do the thinking for you, then go to a prep company. And to boot, Monica freely works with all of her students on their applications, and she gave me the best feedback on my personal statement. I could not believe how reasonable and cheap her rate is in which she charges only $100 for 6-7 hours of class time, unlimited office hours, and she basically reworks your personal statement so that it is super polished.

However, equally, Monica makes you work for it. Her contract basically is that you pay her little monetarily and pay her a lot with hard work, and in turn, she gives you her mind and time unconditionally.

She’s tough but generous.

And not only did her structure and discipline help me get into law school, but it’s helping me to survive and thrive in law school. Monica taught me to be ready for law school before I even got there and that’s the deal you are getting if you work with her. She’s no nonsense and does not waste time on small talk or pleasantries and niceties. If you need things sugar-coated, then Monica is not the right teacher for you. Only go to her if you are tough or want to be toughened up.

Now I have a contracts paper that I need to finish.

• Haha 2

I think that some of us who are now in law school only because of Monica Whyte owe it to her to speak up and give her the credit that she so richly deserves. Monica wasn’t only my teacher for the LSAT, but has been my mentor.

After attending Monica’s LSAT training classes and as a single black mother, Monica accommodated my schedule whenever I needed extra problem-solving help on the questions. She even would get up 7am in the morning to help me problem solve some questions so that I could get some quiet practice time in before my kids woke up and she did it pro bono.

Monica is really there to be your rock and moral support, especially as one woman of color to another. I even went to her about some legal trouble, and she made the time to map out the angle at which I could pursue my case.

I just started at the law school at Queens, and I love it here.

Monica is a God send. There is no way that I would be here without her.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, blackqueenjustice said:

I think that some of us who are now in law school only because of Monica Whyte owe it to her to speak up and give her the credit that she so richly deserves.

OK, but why are you using two different accounts to do so?

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

10 hours ago, blackqueenjustice said:

I think that some of us who are now in law school only because of Monica Whyte owe it to her to speak up and give her the credit that she so richly deserves. Monica wasn’t only my teacher for the LSAT, but has been my mentor.

After attending Monica’s LSAT training classes and as a single black mother, Monica accommodated my schedule whenever I needed extra problem-solving help on the questions. She even would get up 7am in the morning to help me problem solve some questions so that I could get some quiet practice time in before my kids woke up and she did it pro bono.

Monica is really there to be your rock and moral support, especially as one woman of color to another. I even went to her about some legal trouble, and she made the time to map out the angle at which I could pursue my case.

I just started at the law school at Queens, and I love it here.

Monica is a God send. There is no way that I would be here without her.

I second this. I too would not be here without Monica. Not only did she enable me to score a 188 on the LSAT, but thanks to her I now attend Harvard, Yale, AND Stanford

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, deliciouskiwi said:

I second this. I too would not be here without Monica. Not only did she enable me to score a 188 on the LSAT, but thanks to her I now attend Harvard, Yale, AND Stanford

Thirded, thanks to Monica when LSAC saw my score they called all the schools I had applied to encourage them to fast track my application and let me skip 1L. Since then, I've been awarded a JD+, and a LLM at a surprise birthday party

Edited by LabouriousCorvid
  • Haha 1

Just now, PlayALawyerOnTV said:

...sarcasm? 

oh no. The cold hard truth. That class was horrible 

1 minute ago, PlayALawyerOnTV said:

My point was the majority of the responses above were sarcastic. 

oh LOL yes, yes they are xD