Toby1994

Monica Whyte LSAT prep at York

So at York, there are posters everywhere for LSAT prep from an Osgoode Grad. The classes are taught on campus by Monica Whyte, who I get good vibes from but I wanted to see if anyone knows her or has taken her class? It's 12 weeks, 100 dollars per weekly session and each session goes about 6 hours with a class size of about 12. I would love to hear any reviews from past students if possible so I can make sure I'm not wasting my money! 

Edited by Toby1994
typo

I took a class with Monica Whyte and it was a waste of time. I found Princeton Review much better. Essentially you are paying hundreds of dollars over the course of the program and just getting printouts of old questions. I had a friend who also took her classes and she said monica was very discouraging  and i agree. 

Thanks everyone for your advice! I can only seem to find negatives, so I guess it may not be in my best interest to take the course. Anyone know of any cheap tutors in the GTA that are actually good? It would be a big help. 

You know I see those same exact posters all over the campus. I found it odd that despite being currently enrolled in a phD program, and claiming to be an alumna of Osgoode, she doesn't seem to have a linkedin. She is practically invisible on the internet. 

Better off with Yoni from Harvard Ready. Best value and also the best teacher you’ll find in Toronto. Free retake policy for the class as well. My score improved 11 points after reading through all the Powerscore books. Highly recommend. 

• Like 1

100 a session??

Jesus. I'm going to agree with just going with Yoni instead, he's phenomenal. 

10 hours ago, Ontario said:

You know I see those same exact posters all over the campus. I found it odd that despite being currently enrolled in a phD program, and claiming to be an alumna of Osgoode, she doesn't seem to have a linkedin. She is practically invisible on the internet. 

I was extremely upset with my experience with Monica and so i decided to do some digging. I actually contacted Osgoode and they told me that nobody under the name of Monica Whyte has graduated from osgoode in the last 10 years or so. They said that its possible she used a different name but Monica Whyte did not go there.

As well, I cant seem to find her on the York website in the PHD program.  

Edited by Ladybug8712
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ladybug8712 said:

I was extremely upset with my experience with Monica and so i decided to do some digging. I actually contacted Osgoode and they told me that nobody under the name of Monica Whyte has graduated from osgoode in the last 10 years or so. They said that its possible she used a different name but Monica Whyte did not go there. 

Wow thank you so much for this info and I’m sorry that you didn’t have a good experience. Should someone at York be notified of this if it is a scam? She is very convincing, one phone call and I was sold. 

3 minutes ago, Ladybug8712 said:

As well, I cant seem to find her on the York website in the PHD program.  

Jesus H. Christ...

Yoni has participated in this forum and given a lot of free advice here. While other prep courses have registered accounts they have almost always been advertising services only (and are quickly removed). Yoni was different. 

It is worth searching this LSAT forum for his name and you will get a flavour of his style. 

For those wondering about Yoni, it was a pretty good course. make sure you do the homework and you should get over 160 for sure! 

Edited by jatthopefullawyer

1 hour ago, Hegdis said:

Yoni has participated in this forum and given a lot of free advice here.

I also recommend HarvardReady. Yoni's down-to-earth, and definitely knows how to tackle the LSAT. I placed within the 99th percentile thanks to him. That being said, don't expect to see a significant boost without actually doing the homework, official Prep Tests, or self-studying with other LSAT prep material. There were many students in my class who, quite frankly, were naive enough to believe that going to class alone was good enough and I'm sure they didn't do well at all on the final in-class prep LSAT.

Edited by lolnope

Thank you everyone for your guidance, it’s truly appreciated. I’ve reached out to HarvardReady and I think I’m going to try and see Yoni for tutoring if that’s a possibility! 

I enrolled in some of the first classes offered by HarvardReady nearly a decade ago. Can confirm, Yoni knows what he’s doing!

That said, while mastery of the LSAT is a necessary component of being a good instructor/tutor, it is not at all the most important thing! When vetting prospective tutors, it is incredibly important that the student gets a sense of a tutor’s style / general way of reasoning; or at the very least, the student needs to know that they can appreciate the tutor’s way of thinking about things.

This is crucial because it doesn’t matter how well a tutor knows the material / can reason through it themselves if they can’t impart that wisdom onto their student. And it is very hard to do that if a student and tutor think very differently!

In general, I would recommend requesting a 15-minute consult before signing up for a session (most tutors / prep companies will oblige), and then if you feel comfortable, go for a single session. If you feel that you and the tutor connect, feel free to dive in and sign up for more! Usually packs of sessions get discounted as you buy more upfront (but don’t do this until you are sure you and the tutor are on the same wavelength).

Best of luck!