Nora12

Typical 1L schedule

Hello,

I'm wondering how a typical 1L class schedule looks like for the week. I’m considering accepting Ryerson’s offer, and since there’s no previous cohort, I’m hoping to get an idea of first year schedule through other schools.

Thanks!  

From what I understand, UofA is a bit unique in that the Foundations class is the only class you take for the first two weeks. It's 9-5, with a two hour lunch break, Mon-Thur. Fridays are half days. Once classes start, it depends on your cohort as to your exact schedule, but you'll have the Friday half day and then three classes two days of the week (Mon/Wed or Tues/Thur), and two classes the other two days.

On 2/24/2020 at 2:03 PM, Nora12 said:

Hello,

I'm wondering how a typical 1L class schedule looks like for the week. I’m considering accepting Ryerson’s offer, and since there’s no previous cohort, I’m hoping to get an idea of first year schedule through other schools.

Thanks!  

I believe that Ryerson's whole focus is on not being a "typical" lawschool -  so other school schedules might not be very applicable!

In terms of classes, I can't tell you a definitive answer because I have only ever experienced 1L at one law school. However, what I can tell you is the out-of-class time. 

Out-of-class time is 100% determined by yourself and yourself only. My schedule was limited because of other responsibilities, but my day  consisted of my usual morning routines (if I did not have an early class) then a majority of my day would be consumed by class and studying. However, I always made time for other things that matter to me. It's a marathon, not a race. You will figure out what works for you and what doesn't.

I know that doesn't really answer your question because I don't believe there is one. I worked from around 9:30am-12:30am or 1:30pm-12:30am with breaks in between (during the week) depending on what I had coming up and extracurriculars. Friday evenings and weekends would usually be free. I did this because I liked having my weekends to relax and do nothing. However, this was not everyday as some days class would be cancelled or I get my work done much quicker than anticipated. Also - those times work in the gym, intramural sports, and extracurriculars. I consider those to be my 'breaks' from the academic side. 

With that being said, I know others who worked a lot more and others who worked a lot less. I am by no means a top student but I'm far from the worst. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you should not necessarily worry about what your schedule will look like now because that's of little use.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your response! Any bit of insight helps. I’m currently living in London Ontario with my family - I have 2 kids going to school here - and wondering if commuting via train is a possibility. Not sure if anyone has done that before. I guess I’ll just have to wait till they release the class schedule and plan from there...

31 minutes ago, Nora12 said:

Thank you everyone for your response! Any bit of insight helps. I’m currently living in London Ontario with my family - I have 2 kids going to school here - and wondering if commuting via train is a possibility. Not sure if anyone has done that before. I guess I’ll just have to wait till they release the class schedule and plan from there...

that is going to be a very difficult. you will likely need to do that at least 4 times a week in first year.. though i suppose you could get a lot of work done during your 6+ hour daily commute

Queen’s law student here. My typical day would start around 9:30/10 and it really depended on the day when it would end. Some days would go til 4, other days 2:30 but on Fridays we always ended by 11:30 first semester and 1 second semester. 

Class schedule from this year to give you a sense of how long the classes are. Keep in mind these are all the classes, so each student’s schedule would vary slightly depending on which profs they have. 

https://law.queensu.ca/programs/jd/academic-program/course-information/timetable

• Like 2