Jump to content

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, chapice said:

Based on the stats of those who have been accepted so far, I can tell PS doesn't count at all 

I wouldn't say the PS is totaly meaningless. @aziv said he received an offer with an index below 91.7. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Astro said:

I wouldn't say the PS is totaly meaningless. @aziv said he received an offer with an index below 91.7. 

I think people who have been waitlisted have lower index than his.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chapice said:

I think that means you'll get in. Otherwise they would tell you that you're waitlisted.

Here's to hoping! Thanks for the optimism :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Austin said:

FWIW, I emailed today asking about the status of my application. They said I should hear back within a "couple of weeks." I applied late November with an 87% GPA and 163 LSAT

Those are fantastic stats! Is your GPA w/drops confirmed? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Astro said:

Those are fantastic stats! Is your GPA w/drops confirmed? 

With drops - I'm a UBC undergrad so I just removed the drop credits from my transcript and calculated the average.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Austin said:

With drops - I'm a UBC undergrad so I just removed the drop credits from my transcript and calculated the average.

In that case, you should definitely be in soon! Good luck! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chapice said:

I think people who have been waitlisted have lower index than his.

She* and yes! I think the PS matters for the people who are not clear auto-admits. Fingers crossed for you! Keep faith! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2020 at 5:37 PM, aziv said:

She* and yes! I think the PS matters for the people who are not clear auto-admits. Fingers crossed for you! Keep faith! 

Thank you for your kindness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you guys think the admissions office has started reading PS of those waitlisted? I don't think so. I suppose the offers they have sent out are all based on stats/index.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, chapice said:

Do you guys think the admissions office has started reading PS of those waitlisted? I don't think so. I suppose the offers they have sent out are all based on stats/index.

I don't think this is the case.  It is definitely true that everyone in the first round got in purely based on stats, but after that it seems like PS was definitely taken into consideration.  I know someone with a 93 index that still hasn't heard back yet, so if stats were the only thing considered he would have gotten an offer long ago.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2020 at 3:29 PM, chapice said:

I think people who have been waitlisted have lower index than his.

91.0 index here. Hoping PS actually matters..

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone wondering if PS matters I feel like I need to repeat this:

57 minutes ago, meandtheboys said:

I know someone with a 93 index that still hasn't heard back yet, so if stats were the only thing considered he would have gotten an offer long ago.

PS definitely matters.  If stats were the only consideration, all of you with a 91 index or something similar would have gotten rejected already.  The fact that you guys are still waiting to hear back means they looked at the only thing outside your stats - your PS - and thought it was good enough for you to remain somewhat competitive overall.  Likewise, the PS for the 93 index person must have been bad to the point of making him not an auto-admit.  I know how stressful this wait is for many of you, but at this point there is nothing you can do but wait.  I'm sincerely hoping that all of you guys still waiting can get in.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, meandtheboys said:

For anyone wondering if PS matters I feel like I need to repeat this:

PS definitely matters.  If stats were the only consideration, all of you with a 91 index or something similar would have gotten rejected already.  

That's not a fair assumption to make. UBC, and most Canadian schools, typically wait until the class is full before sending any rejections.  That doesn't imply you are still being considered, just that they haven't bothered to run the mass reject script. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Turtles said:

That's not a fair assumption to make. UBC, and most Canadian schools, typically wait until the class is full before sending any rejections.  That doesn't imply you are still being considered, just that they haven't bothered to run the mass reject script. 

AGREE 100%!!!

Edited by chapice
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chapice said:

Do you guys think the admissions office has started reading PS of those waitlisted? I don't think so. I suppose the offers they have sent out are all based on stats/index.

I don’t think so, I was told they would tell me where I stand after they review my profile. I had asked for an update last week and was told that I would be waitlisted (for reference my index is - a self calculated 91.4) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi guys,

For what it's worth, I just called Allard and they said they have read my personal statement and that it bumped up my position in the waitlist. So yes, they do read! :)

Edit: Approximately 91 index!

Edited by lmnv3
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, lmnv3 said:

Hi guys,

For what it's worth, I just called Allard and they said they have read my personal statement and that it bumped up my position in the waitlist. So yes, they do read! :)

Edit: Approximately 91 index!

Thank you!

So they have already ranked the waitlist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chapice said:

Thank you!

So they have already ranked the waitlist?

They never said specifically that they have ranked it but they did say I'm "fairly high" up on it and that my personal statement "bumped me up." So maybe they do have a tentative ranking? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, lmnv3 said:

Hi guys,

For what it's worth, I just called Allard and they said they have read my personal statement and that it bumped up my position in the waitlist. So yes, they do read! :)

Edit: Approximately 91 index!

I just called them after seeing your comments. But sadly the person told me I am among those whose waitlist ranking got lowered after they read my personal statement 😢 He also told me they usually have a waitlist size of 200 and top 50 will likely get in. However, another sad news for me is that he told me I am currently in the top 100, so the chance of me getting in is getting slim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NormanFetus said:

I just called them after seeing your comments. But sadly the person told me I am among those whose waitlist ranking got lowered after they read my personal statement 😢 He also told me they usually have a waitlist size of 200 and top 50 will likely get in. However, another sad news for me is that he told me I am currently in the top 100, so the chance of me getting in is getting slim.

I was told I have been waitlisted but it is unranked until June, so I don't know where I stand... but still beats a rejection for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Recent Posts

    • I attended the Q&A webinar last week and the overarching sentiment is that they don’t know what will happen yet. Big lectures will almost 100% be online but they are trying to see if they can hold some smaller classes and extracurriculars in person. I filled out the form to keep myself in consideration for an offer even though I’m waiting to hear more information about classes before deciding. I don’t think that anything is binding until you’ve signed your offer. I figured I can always just decline the offer if I no longer want to live there. Hopefully we will know more information about classes soon! 
    • thanks for the info! Maybe I don't understand what I'm in for in L1, I thought it was all about the courses,with clinical intensives and such in later years. I do remember hearing we could apply to be intake workers in clinic, and that might still be happening because the Parkdale clinic should be really really busy with family law, employment issues and landlord/tenant. Even if not in person, I figured it might be happening remotely.  I'm at Osgoode if it makes any difference. 
    • Does anyone know what classes are going to look like? Will it be strictly online or will there be specific classes where we will be expected to be on campus? I emailed admissions and all they told me is that “more information will be available soon” but york housing said I have to decide whether or not I will keep residence by Sunday at noon.    Super stressed over this- what is everyone else doing? 😬
    • Your thread title states "Is a high student-to-lawyer ratio in a firm a red flag?" but then you immediately state: Very few students for a large number of lawyers is a low student-to-lawyer ratio aka a high lawyer-to-student ratio. So, which are you asking about: Your forum title (high student-to-lawyer ratio), your leading sentence (low student-to-lawyer ratio), or both? Or neither?  
    • [Emphasis added] Yes you will. I did more clinic work in 1L than either of my subsequent years. And the most interesting discussions I can remember having in law school all came in my 1L classes. In 1L, people are curious and the topics are novel. In upper years, a lot of people are just clocking in and out, and the topics are, by and large, not novel. You’ll also be missing out on low-pressure opportunities to explore new skills, such as mooting and negotiations. Even if those move online, they won’t be that easily transferable to in person competitions. There’s a reason most lawyers still attend chambers appointments and negotiations in person. 

×
×
  • Create New...