Sign in to follow this  
bepsi

Last-minute advice for 1L summer interviews?

I'm a 1L at McGill and my midterms grades were above average, but not top 10% of the class (for the most part as far as I can tell). I got 7 interviews overall. I was wondering if anybody had any advice as far as interviews go? I've been practicing by looking up details about each law firm in terms of their summer program/general practice. I've also been trying to think of good answers to the usual questions (what's your biggest weakness, how do you handle a workload, etc.), and coming up with anecdotes for most things on my CV that I think will come up. Is there any other advice anyone has to offer? Thanks! 

Edited by bepsi
rephrasing

Be extremely high energy. Force a huge smile for every person you meet, even when your cheeks are aching. Don't sound like a robot when you respond to questions. Never get complacent - a firm can send you all the signals that an offer is coming and not follow through, so try to close as few doors as possible.

• Like 1

Be inquisitive. Sometimes interviewers don't want to ask the same questions over and over and like it when an applicant asks insightful and inquisitive questions. 

• How do your students find their practice area? 
  • If I have a question, can I go straight to a partner? 
  • As a student, will I have the opportunity to get involved in XYZ? 

It's nice to know that an applicant isn't just going to go with any firm that gives them an offer, but rather is feeling out the firms for the right fit. A nice back and forth/conversation. 

I'm very junior and only recently involved in recruitment for my firm so take the above advice for what it's worth. But it worked for me (not just in the summer recruit, but in other interviews in my life). 

**note: I'm not suggesting that you steamroll over the interviewer's questions or try to take the reigns of the entire interview. Read the room, of course. 

• Like 4

Be the best version of yourself. Also, don't overdress. I mean literally do not layer too much. During my interviews I was sweating like a pig. Not a good look... I wore much lighter clothing on day two and the sweating went away. It gets hot in those rooms! 

• Like 1

Make sure you have a story that will resonate with people. As a 1L, it will really be about the story of why you went to law school and why you want to practice law. Why you are doing recruit and want to practice big law/ X type of law. If you have previous career/volunteer experience, make sure that’s in the narrative of who you are and how that has formed your interests. Of course, you are expected to not know all the answers of how precisely you want your law career to turn out, but it really helps to draw things together so interviewers will leave feeling like they have a grasp on who you are. 

Be nice and outgoing to everyone you meet. And as hard as it is, try to not feel like an interview is merely a transaction - it should be a conversation so go with the natural flow as much as possible. Be relaxed, but also your best relaxed self. 

• Like 5