Sign in to follow this  
albertalaw00

U of A 2020 chances - 157 and 3.75

Hi all! Wondering if anyone could provide insight on the likeliness of my acceptance to U of A with my stats. 

L2 (last 60 credits) - 3.75 (self-calculated)

LSAT score - 157 (average of two writes)

Will have completed Master in Public Health before starting law school. Experience working with the United Nations and several international global health placements; good EC's and strong PS. 

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

With a index score of 241 and based on last year's profile, I think there's a fair chance you're in. 

• Like 1

Your scores appear to be right on the border of a Regular admit - last year’s applicant profile showed one admit in the 3.7 and 157-158 band. That said, they could have had 3.79 and 158 for all we know. (Sidebar - did you include your fall grades in your calculation?)

Don’t lose hope: it looks like you have strong experience that (if your PS is written well) should parlay into a great chance in the holistic round. Check out the Holistic Review Process thread for more discussion on the matter. Last year’s 36 holistic admits received offers at the beginning of April.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, TimTheEnchanter said:

Your scores appear to be right on the border of a Regular admit - last year’s applicant profile showed one admit in the 3.7 and 157-158 band. That said, they could have had 3.79 and 158 for all we know. (Sidebar - did you include your fall grades in your calculation?

Thank you so much for this information! I am indeed struggling with how to calculate my L2 - my grad school grades and undergrad grades are on different scales, and I am still unsure about what 'session' means... I sent an email to Admissions a while back asking for my GPA calculation (or at least some clarification) and I got a response saying they were too busy (which is totally fair!). I am definitely banking on the holistic review process, although I wish it was more than just my PS to exemplify my various experiences (too bad U of A does not require reference letters for the app). I have received an acceptance from another program, but I'm really hoping to stay in Alberta! Fingers crossed! Thanks again!

I’m pretty sure you’ll get in, they also look at grad school differently. Anyone’s who’s done grad school doesn’t need the same admission standards, even if you did I’m pretty sure you’d still be fine. Holistically id say you’re 100% in. There’s a lot of people in my year who got admitted with a whole lot less EC’s

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 4:27 PM, HarveySpector97 said:

I’m pretty sure you’ll get in, they also look at grad school differently. Anyone’s who’s done grad school doesn’t need the same admission standards, even if you did I’m pretty sure you’d still be fine. Holistically id say you’re 100% in. There’s a lot of people in my year who got admitted with a whole lot less EC’s

Hey,

Just wondering what you mean by this? I'm applying with an MSc, so I was wondering what you mean by we don't need the same admission standards?

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 4:27 PM, HarveySpector97 said:

they also look at grad school differently. Anyone’s who’s done grad school doesn’t need the same admission standards

I second Kingifer’s query.

In the Regular admit category, UofA assess graduate grades no differently than undergrad. They consider your most recent 60 credits regardless of whether it’s an MA vs BA.

The holistic round is another matter entirely. In that case, I’m sure they’ll consider your Masters as part of your overall file, but nobody knows how Admissions will weight it (except Admissions!).

Am I missing some nuance here?

• Like 2