TigerWoods

McGill Law: Still Waiting for an answer

3 hours ago, changeofplans said:

seeing how they deal with admissions, i wonder if everything else at mcgill law is this complicated/emotionally draining lol.

I mean, basic research shows that McGill always takes their sweet time. I've made this rant before - people apply to McGill knowing that professors are personally reviewing every single application and considering every aspect, from grades, references, LSAT, CV and personal essay. The law fac has to follow deadlines for CEGEPers, mature students and regular applicants. All of this is done while simultaneously teaching, grading and doing research. Most profs don't have TAs doing it. Plus there is a pandemic.

And McGill admin does suck. That's what happens with large research institutions - money is for research. Plus all the budget issues in QC.

4 hours ago, herpsderps123 said:

How many spots do you guys think are left? 10? 5?

Honestly, I have no idea. They are really doing a good job to keep us out of the loop.

Posted (edited)

My hairline must have receded by at least 3 cm since the application period closed last year. My lease is ending at the end of the month and I am still hoping to hear from McGill before then lol 

Edited by herpsderps123
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, herpsderps123 said:

My hairline must have receded by at least 3 cm since the application period closed last year. My lease is ending at the end of the month and I am still hoping to hear from McGill before then lol 

Good luck. I’ve given up on McGill at this point. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, LawHopeful2020 said:

Good luck. I’ve given up on McGill at this point. 

Yeah, I just accepted an offer for a programming tech job that pays about the same or more than I would after law school. If I don’t get in it’ll be fine (which I expect at this point even if waitlisted) but if I do I’ll probably request to defer.

Gonna be a lot harder to justify going back to school for years to go back to making less than what I did before I started for probably way more emotionally draining work and long hours. Still interested in law - but I’ve gotta make some hard choices next cycle. 

Edited by BeltOfScotch
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, BeltOfScotch said:

Yeah, I just accepted an offer for a programming tech job that pays about the same or more than I would after law school. If I don’t get in it’ll be fine (which I expect at this point even if waitlisted) but if I do I’ll probably request to defer.

Gonna be a lot harder to justify going back to school for years to go back to making less than what I did before I started for probably way more emotionally draining work and long hours. Still interested in law - but I’ve gotta make some hard choices next cycle. 

Same.I just accepted a new job and found a new place today. I think I get accepted I will ask to differ, if possible. 

Hey guys I just want to say to everyone who’s discouraged don’t give up! On Monday they emailed me for an interview on Friday (yesterday). I was really shocked I assumed that they finished interviewing applicants in May. I’m also a bit confused bc I know two people who got waitlisted. Therefore, they still have spots to fill. 

• Thanks 2

Hello all!

I hope you are all doing great.

I remember how excruciating it can be to wait for the Faculty’s decision. To help you cope with the wait, I decided I would share a little family story with you all.

When my dad applied to law school, back in 1989, he knew his application was not very competitive. He decided to give it a shot anyways. He was expecting to be rejected by the faculty. However, and to his surprise, he was waitlisted. He then saw a lot of his co-applicants getting admitted, while his application remained on the ice. As time passed, he gradually lost hope he would ever get into law school (he only applied to one faculty, and decided he would not try again, should he not be admitted). July came, and still no response from the faculty. By then, he had resigned himself. Demoralized, he found himself a job and basically stopped thinking about law school altogether. Just one week before law school was scheduled to start, the faculty called and told him there was a spot for him if he was still interested. He immediately accepted the offer. He is a lawyer to this day.

Bottom line: do not give up hope just yet. McGill is known to be slow in their admission process. Given COVID, you can expect even more delays than usual. Thus, as of today, it would be premature for any of you to conclude you are not getting in. Do not draw any conclusion; let the Faculty do so. Try not to worry too much; it will not help, and it will psychologically hurt you. Instead, try and enjoy your summer as much as possible, while it lasts :)

Best of luck to all of you. Feel free to send me private messages if you have any questions. I am always happy to help.

G.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

My application still says Ready for Review and i am trying not to get inpatient but i am quite nervous. I got advice from professors and current law student at McGill to apply regardless of my knowledge of French. I took one french course and can say a few words but that is it! I speak Spanish and can understand written French much more than i can speak. I am getting quite anxious if i get called for an interview or straight up rejected. Is anyone else in a similar situation? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, adblaw2020 said:

My application still says Ready for Review and i am trying not to get inpatient but i am quite nervous. I got advice from professors and current law student at McGill to apply regardless of my knowledge of French. I took one french course and can say a few words but that is it! I speak Spanish and can understand written French much more than i can speak. I am getting quite anxious if i get called for an interview or straight up rejected. Is anyone else in a similar situation? 

It says on their website and application that passive bilingualism is required. I don't think one french course would allow you to meet that requirement, but you can see how they define it here: https://www.mcgill.ca/law/bcl-jd/admissions-guide/eligibility. If you write the LSAT you should consider applying to schools outside QC. 

For anyone still waiting just wanted to say that course registration was last week and there are still about 15-20 seats left open in some classes, I am assuming this means that about that amount of people are yet to receive an offer? Not sure if this is helpful or not.
I also heard( I dont know if this is true) that it will mostly be cegep students. Good luck everyone

• Thanks 1