TigerWoods

McGill Law: Still Waiting for an answer

On 5/16/2020 at 3:18 PM, changeofplans said:

does anyone know if they started waitlisting candidates?

I know a few people who have been waitlisted! hope this helps :) 

• Like 2

On 5/16/2020 at 3:18 PM, changeofplans said:

does anyone know if they started waitlisting candidates?

yeah i just saw the thread for it here, first post last wednesday.

Don't worry herpsderps123, you're not alone. I'm right there with you with not having heard a single thing.

Like c'mon McGill, you're a reputable academic institution, not someone on Tinder! Like you gotta respond at some point.. right..?

Haha, right? Haha

Jk

Unless.. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Does anyone know when the next deadline to accept or decline an offer is?

Could it be that I am still waiting because I wrote the January LSAT? I am out an of province Canadian applicant.

I am concerned that I may be at the end of the queue and by the time the admissions committee gets to my application there will be no places available. It seems possible considering quite a few people have already been waitlisted.

1 hour ago, lawstudent1100 said:

Could it be that I am still waiting because I wrote the January LSAT? I am out an of province Canadian applicant.

I am concerned that I may be at the end of the queue and by the time the admissions committee gets to my application there will be no places available. It seems possible considering quite a few people have already been waitlisted.

I'd say for sure that's part of it, as January LSAT takers are typically evaluated later than others. I took the November LSAT and am still waiting to hear back though. That being said, since McGill doesn't require candidates take the LSAT, that puts us even further back in the queue than others I would imagine.

I wouldn't worry though lawstudent1100, I remember seeing on an official McGill webpage that clearly said they save the best candidates for last. Don't ask for the URL though because it could have been (read: definitely was) a figment of my imagination in this fever dream of a spring-summer. 

Good luck!

5 hours ago, lawstudent1100 said:

Yes. It's on the site. 

• Like 1

I emailed the admissions office as my file still says “Ready for Review,” and this was there response:

“At this point, the likelihood is low but not impossible that someone could receive an offer of admission without being waitlisted. Either way, you should receive your decision in the next 3-6 weeks.”

I’m still a bit confused as to how someone can receive an offer without being on the waitlist after waitlist offers have been sent out. I thought the waitlist exists because the class is full, so the only way students can get in from the waitlist is if someone rejects their offer.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I wonder if its possible to still receive a spot on the Waitlist 

13 minutes ago, LawHopeful2020 said:

I emailed the admissions office as my file still says “Ready for Review,” and this was there response:

“At this point, the likelihood is low but not impossible that someone could receive an offer of admission without being waitlisted. Either way, you should receive your decision in the next 3-6 weeks.”

I’m still a bit confused as to how someone can receive an offer without being on the waitlist after waitlist offers have been sent out. I thought the waitlist exists because the class is full, so the only way students can get in from the waitlist is if someone rejects their offer.

There is still room in the class. Some waitlist students are borderline so they're placed in the maybe pile. Others might rank slightly ahead of "maybe" but we're only fully reviewed now because of an incomplete application, delayed interviews or missing documents.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, artsydork said:

There is still room in the class. Some waitlist students are borderline so they're placed in the maybe pile. Others might rank slightly ahead of "maybe" but we're only fully reviewed now because of an incomplete application, delayed interviews or missing documents.

That’s reassuring. Thank you. 

• Thanks 1

I also emailed the admissions office and got the same answer. I find it unnerving to know that quite a bunch of people are still RFR. I wonder what is taking them so long to come to a decision. I was going through last year’s threads and saw that process ran into July with a bunch of people getting rejected in the end. Anyway, I am already bracing myself for my rejection email. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, herpsderps123 said:

I also emailed the admissions office and got the same answer. I find it unnerving to know that quite a bunch of people are still RFR. I wonder what is taking them so long to come to a decision. I was going through last year’s threads and saw that process ran into July with a bunch of people getting rejected in the end. Anyway, I am already bracing myself for my rejection email. 

I would think they would just reject/accept or waitlist people at this point. I understand that they are holistic, but this is a bit ridiculous.

I almost want to move on with life and be pleasantly surprised if they accept me, but I’m really running out of distractions thanks to all of this free time. 

Edited by LawHopeful2020

4 hours ago, LawHopeful2020 said:

I would think they would just reject/accept or waitlist people at this point. I understand that they are holistic, but this is a bit ridiculous.

I almost want to move on with life and be pleasantly surprised if they accept me, but I’m really running out of distractions thanks to all of this free time. 

My thoughts exactly! I am so ready to move on with life haha

12 minutes ago, herpsderps123 said:

My thoughts exactly! I am so ready to move on with life haha

4 hours ago, LawHopeful2020 said:

seeing how they deal with admissions, i wonder if everything else at mcgill law is this complicated/emotionally draining lol.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, changeofplans said:

seeing how they deal with admissions, i wonder if everything else at mcgill law is this complicated/emotionally draining lol.

McGill is a mess. Always. The bureaucracy is soul-draining, even for a big research university. Also trying to do anything student-organizing-wise is hellish because of how stifling the administration is.

Also road construction. If you come here, I really hope you like endless construction. That’s more of a Montréal flair, though. 

Edited by BeltOfScotch