changeofplans

University applicants

starting this thread just so we can feel a little less alone waiting for an answer.

feel free to post your stats!

3.87/no LSAT, average ECs, MA, good LORs (thesis advisors), PS definitely well-written but i'm not sure they'll like the content

• Like 3

3.90/4 GPA, no LSAT, good ECs (published journal article, work at social enterprise law firm, etc.), MSc from a top UK uni, LORs from undergrad profs (1 very close relationship, 1 somewhat close relationship but prof very well known in their field), PS might have been mediocre but I thought it was good, bilingual. 

I'm honestly frustrated with this process to the point that I'm looking forward to writing the LSAT and applying to US T-14 and other Canadian schools next cycle (provided I manage to study hard and do well on the LSAT). 

Edited by bigtruss

1 hour ago, bigtruss said:
3 hours ago, LawHopeful2020 said:

Anxiously waiting. 

I'm honestly frustrated with this process to the point that I'm looking forward to writing the LSAT and applying to US T-14 and other Canadian schools next cycle (provided I manage to study hard and do well on the LSAT). 

Very anxiety inducing and frustrating indeed. It’s so much better when there’s a set date for admission decisions like for graduate scholarships, no need to worry about it every single day!

3 hours ago, LawHopeful2020 said:

4.0/4.0 GPA and 174 LSAT.

Excellent references, possibly mediocre ECs and personal statement. 

Anxiously waiting. 

How did you manage to get 4.0/4.0?

It is like and  buying all 49 numbers for 649 or having Royal Flush playing poker. 

Edited by Luckycharm
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

How did you manage to get 4.0/4.0?

It is like and  buying all 49 numbers for 649 or having Royal Flush playing poker. 

Get straight A’s.

I don't understand the way in which McGill looks at each application. They are clearly not doing it by GPA otherwise many of you would already be in, they aren't doing it by LSAT either so it's either alphabetical or by upload date which would be unfair in both cases. They are know to be horrendous at handling admissions, no other university I know makes students apply at the beginning of November to give answers on a rolling basis through to June (if it's May/June then it's a No for sure). 

8 minutes ago, TigerWoods said:

They are clearly not doing it by GPA otherwise many of you would already be in

yo that they don't clearly prioritize by GPA only is one of the few things still giving me hope... i get the frustration though 

GPA: 3.8 / 4.3 which is on the iffy end 😧

EC: interesting internships and a couple years of work experience in the tech/software sector (it seems like this is considered at least 'good', i dunno)

LORs: from professors under whom i performed well, they both got along really well with me but honestly who knows profs can be so fickle and rushed

PS: this is the thing that'll make or break my application i think lol... i write passionately and assertively, with a creative flair whenever possible, so i hope the admission council is vibin'

good luck, all!

1 hour ago, TigerWoods said:

I don't understand the way in which McGill looks at each application. They are clearly not doing it by GPA otherwise many of you would already be in, they aren't doing it by LSAT either so it's either alphabetical or by upload date which would be unfair in both cases. They are know to be horrendous at handling admissions, no other university I know makes students apply at the beginning of November to give answers on a rolling basis through to June (if it's May/June then it's a No for sure). 

agreed. honestly it’s a bit worrying seeing candidates with lower GPAs get accepted since gpa is the most important factor; does it mean that they have already seen our file and the rest of the application was deemed unworthy? I’m starting to believe I said something in my PS that might’ve hurt my chances

4 minutes ago, changeofplans said:

does it mean that they have already seen our file and the rest of the application was deemed unworthy? I’m starting to believe I said something in my PS that might’ve hurt my chances

probably not healthy or rational to be engaging in these negative what-ifs this early in the game, imo

not knowing the exact process they use shouldn't mean you fill the void with the precise one that specifically makes your particular profile ineligible lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lolschool said:

probably not healthy or rational to be engaging in these negative what-ifs this early in the game, imo

not knowing the exact process they use shouldn't mean you fill the void with the precise one that specifically makes your particular profile ineligible lol

lol i needed that, thank you

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TigerWoods said:

You might want to take a look at this thread:

As for the rolling basis, that is the way it's done at every Canadian law school.

GPA: 3.87 - BA in Justice Studies; average EC's; well-written PS but certainly subjective; no LSAT. 

The anxiety has certainly kicked in at this point... lol

On 2/15/2020 at 12:27 PM, TigerWoods said:

I attended the welcome day for admitted candidates last week, and I specifically asked this question because some of my friends are in a similar situation. They start by looking at the applicants with the highest GPAs and if the admissions committee is not 100% convinced by the quality of the PS, ECs, LORs, then these applicants are either declined or reviewed again when the committee moves on to lower GPAs. Here, if the applicant's PS, ECs, LORs are as good as someone with a lower GPA, then the person with the higher GPA is typically selected. So many of these people you are referring to might have 4.0/4.0 GPAs, but lacked in the other required areas.

• Like 2

3.85/4.0, no LSAT

Average EC's, good personal statement IMO, bilingual

Anxiously waiting as well!

Edited by Applicant2020
  • Like 2