Bubbless

French Common Law JD

Hi everyone,

Anyone else applied to the French Section of the Common Law JD program at uOttawa? If yes, what are you stats, is it the only law school you applied to and have you finished your application. I barely see anything on the French Section and thought I'd make a new topic.

Cheers

Hey, 

PCLF student here. From my friends, I know acceptances went out as early as December and a lot of them got it in March so sit tight ;) 

Ahhh!! A little bit scared, I didn't know people were getting accepted before the deadline (March 2nd) 😣

March 2 was the deadline. Are you sure people were being accepted in the French law programs as early as December ?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Curious1 said:

March 2 was the deadline. Are you sure people were being accepted in the French law programs as early as December ?

Yup. My guess is they were the "stronger applicants". Not sure how many people actually got accepted then, I only know of one.

Edited by throwaway1001

I applied right at the cutoff date (March 2nd) so I'm patiently awaiting results as well! I applied to both the French JD and the French JD/LLL programs. Its the only programs I applied to.

Good luck to everyone!! 

I was talking to someone at the open house (who either works in admissions or is a prof) who said that the french common law program is pretty competitive because it's the only one in Ontario and they have like 80 spots and usually like 78 out of the 80 students will accept their offers. 

On 3/9/2020 at 3:01 PM, penguinh said:

I was talking to someone at the open house (who either works in admissions or is a prof) who said that the french common law program is pretty competitive because it's the only one in Ontario and they have like 80 spots and usually like 78 out of the 80 students will accept their offers. 

There are only two in Canada, the other one being Moncton. From what I've heard (anecdotal), the acceptance rate is around 50%.

On 3/10/2020 at 6:40 PM, throwaway1001 said:

There are only two in Canada, the other one being Moncton. From what I've heard (anecdotal), the acceptance rate is around 50%.

Yeah, it's mentioned on OLSAS that they received 175 applicants in 2019 and the 2018 class size was 93.

Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2020 at 12:20 AM, Bubbless said:

Yeah, it's mentioned on OLSAS that they received 175 applicants in 2019 and the 2018 class size was 93.

Yeah, it was 80 last year. Pretty good odds.

Edited by throwaway1001