capitalttruth

Access Queen's 2020

Post here if you've been accepted under the Access category or are still waiting to be accepted.

Also: post your stats here if you feel comfortable.

I am still waiting under Access. My stats are 3.4 GPA, 3.9 B2 (waiting on Winter marks where this number will be made official), 164 LSAT, and an MA. I know it's early, but I've been through this cycle two times before and every offer that goes out without my name on it stings my soul! Hopefully we all hear back soon.

• Like 1

still waiting under access. my stats: 153 LSAT, 3.75 GPA, identical B2.  don't have high hopes of getting accepted but who knows

I'm waiting too. Applied mature at Western and access at Queens/Ottawa.

My stats:

3.89 cGPA

3.89 L2/B2 ... My grades were consistent throughout 4 years lol

154 LSAT

Took the blasted LSAT 3 times. First time in June was 154. Second time in July was 154, which I cancelled and took the free October test... and got 154, AGAIN. Of course, mature and access have different standards than general, so that means I'm 1 percentile away from hitting that recommended standard. Really sucks though because I practice over 160, I took screen shots of my practice tests - done online to practice actual conditions in case July was tablet, and wish the schools would accept THOSE, lol. I just choke on the real deal. Obviously I don't choke anywhere else, my GPA shows that I test well in general.

The LSAT is the bane of my existence though :( I honestly think it was because, in every single test, the Reading Comp (my best test section, I score near perfect each time), was placed either at the very beginning when I was freaking out with anxiety, or the very end when I was too exhausted to give it 100%. Those extra points in RC would have pushed me up to where I needed to be to get closer to my practice scores. I only know this for sure on my June test, since it was disclosed. I sat here for 35 minutes to redo the RC section and scored 7 higher. 7!! What a piss off. 

Anyways, I would have loved to explain my LSAT in my applications, but my circumstances needed more elaboration. I'm mature/access because I didn't have a lot of EC's and took a reduced course load - 4/5 classes. I was having surgeries throughout my undergrad, so I took less classes in order to be able to catch up any missed work. I actually have an implanted device in my brain, done in 2014, called Deep Brain Stimulation, to resolve some symptoms of Primary Generalized Dystonia (a neurological movement disorder). The device sends electric signals to the movement region of my brain, and is hooked up to a battery in my chest. When that battery hit a certain voltage, I had a couple of weeks to get in for replacement surgery, so I couldn't really plan my life (see: EC's) around it. My battery needed replacement twice during my undergrad, but during the second surgery they implanted a rechargeable battery that will last 10 years. Which is all to say that surgery won't interfere with getting my JD at a regular pace, should any school accept me.

As well, I have a unique story of working as a CYW for 10 years, then living in MENA to teach English during the Arab Spring, all while living with a permanent disability - Dystonia. It was during a violent police/army crackdown on a peaceful protest in Morocco that I decided I wanted to return home and go to law school. I can't do anything for MENA, but I can sure as hell do something here, whether it be immigration, government/constitutional, indigenous, etc. law. I hoped my story and goals would make me unique and set me apart from other applicants, which is why I focused on my life (rather than my abysmal LSAT scores) in my PS. I also have great LOR's, since I really made an effort to get to know my profs during undergrad. I was closer to their age than my peers in most in cases, so it was easy for me to communicate with them on a different level :)

TL;DR version: I hope my life and circumstances make up for my crappy LSAT.

Right now, the anxiety I feel watching other people get accepted (therefore seeing my chances dwindle) is incredible. I'm just trying to focus on school, since I want to graduate never having received a single "B" grade. Straight A's baby. lol.

Wishing us all luck though!! Fingers crossed for us all!

• Like 2

Hi,

I applied Access and was accepted. However,  my issue is that I don't know how to be sure if I was actually accepted qua Access, or whether I was punted back into the regular category and approved on that basis.*

Anyway, stats are LSAT 163/B2 3.93 (B2 really helps me, as cGPA is quite a bit lower).

Best of luck to you all,

-GM

*I was told in advance by admissions staff that my Access claim may not be accepted. I applied Access under the "age" subcategory,  purely because I could not obtain an academic reference due to the time elapsed since my previous schooling. Ottawa and Western have 'nature's categories to get around this, and Lakehead told me they didn't really care so I should just apply general... only for Queen's was I directed to the Access "lane" , so to speak!

I applied access too! No word yet, though.

159 LSAT 

3.32 cgpa

3.61 L2/B2

LSAT: 167

B2: 3.26

Applied Access as I am close to blind.

Still have heard nothing.

Edited by Reuben98

Hi all! Long-time lurker of all of these forums and I'm thrilled to finally be able to post. 

I was accepted this Tuesday (February 11) - I applied under the Access category and the following are my stats:

LSAT: 161
L2: 3.82
cGPA: 3.70

Best of luck to you all, I hope you hear back soon with good news! 

Edited by rosaliedreams
  • Like 1

Hi everyone! 

I still have a decision pending for Queen's access category with a 162 LSAT and 3.73 GPA. My claim is valid under the description they posted for those applicable for the Access category a "member of a historically disadvantaged group" as stated under their requirements. However, if the admissions committee doesn't deem my claim as applicable to Access, will I be placed back into the general category? I'm staying positive either way, I just want to make sure it's considered regardless of what happens.

Thanks and good luck to all of you!

2 hours ago, inthenameofthelaw1 said:

However, if the admissions committee doesn't deem my claim as applicable to Access, will I be placed back into the general category?

Yes, you will. Or at least, that's what I was specifically told by the admissions staff regarding the same issue. Of course I have no way of knowing under which category I was actually admitted. Your stats are probably good enough to get in under the general category, fingers crossed!

-GM

-GM

12 hours ago, inthenameofthelaw1 said:

Hi everyone! 

I still have a decision pending for Queen's access category with a 162 LSAT and 3.73 GPA. My claim is valid under the description they posted for those applicable for the Access category a "member of a historically disadvantaged group" as stated under their requirements. However, if the admissions committee doesn't deem my claim as applicable to Access, will I be placed back into the general category? I'm staying positive either way, I just want to make sure it's considered regardless of what happens.

Thanks and good luck to all of you!

You would get in under general. I'm sure you'll hear soon

Does anyone know if many access applications have been looked at yet/the typical timeline for access applicants? Thanks

• Like 1

According to an admissions coordinator at Queens, access files are assessed by a committee that sits in multiple sessions throughout the cycle. Access files are looked at in a more in depth manner and take longer to assess. New offers are sent out after each sitting. The bulk of the decisions are made form January to March. Access applicant make up approximately 20% of the class. Hope that helps! 

• Like 1

I wonder, if the bulk of the decisions are made from Jan to March, if access applicants still waiting to receive winter marks will be given consideration later into the cycle (April - May) once those marks are in. In my case, it's going to make a huge difference.

One other question - do you know if the acceptance emails come at a set time or if they come sporadically throughout the day? 

Hi, a bit anxious and wondering if anyone could give me an idea of my chances? cgpa 3.0, l2 3.5, lsat 154, 161. access category for medical reasons that severely impacted first two years, good LORs and decent softs :)

Hi everyone!  I’m an access applicant and was admitted today.  Seems like we’re finally seeing some movement!  :) 

cGpa:  3.51

LSAT:  161

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I finished my semester with a 4.0 for the year. Haven’t heard anything from Queen’s but they told me they would wait for my Winter marks before making a decision. My stats after this semester will be 3.5 cGPA, 3.91 L2, 164 LSAT. What are my chances once my grades come back (in late April - early May)? Do you think I will get an offer or will Queen’s not have any more seats?

Edited by capitalttruth

20 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

My stats after this semester will be 3.5 cGPA, 3.91 L2, 164 LSAT. What are my chances once my grades come back (in late April - early May)?

Surely with those stats you'll go to the top of the pile, right? I mean, they put you way above median for the class in both L2 and LSAT. So when even one seat becomes available,  you're likely the one to take it! Hope I'm right! :)

-GM

Sorry capitalttruth, I am still confused about your stats, I am sure you have mentioned it before. You already have a masters and an undergrad right? But now taking more undergraduate courses? And these are going to be calculated into your OLAS CGPA calculation? Or is the idea that the schools will look at the grades as an additional document/transcript and see the upward trend? Correct me if I am wrong, please (because if I am wrong I will immediately begin taking additional undergraduate courses to boost my CGPA) but my understanding was that your first undergrad marks are what will be taken as official OLAS CGPA, all dropped classes and retakes included. 

Thanks!!